on 6 January 2010
This book is great for those people who think they can cook but actually cannot.
It is simple to follow, without seeming patronizing.
The recipes are ideal, appropriate for a family menu and they are really tasty.
This book is a quiet island in a sea of "super TV Chef" cookbooks which are often very daunting.
Great for all ages of folk who want to improve their basic cooking skills.
on 2 April 2010
I ordered this for my son who is 23 so he could learn a few basic skills in kitchen...when it came i was so impressed I ordered one for my self!! Now am about to order one for my stepdad who wants to learn a few lessons!!Its full of lovely ideas and is suitable for ALL ages/levels.Have tried the shortbread and cookies....mmm,they were fab!! Really worth buying this book.
on 12 May 2010
I have had a reluctance to cook almost bordering on phobia for years and a friend of mine lent me this book about a month ago in a bid to help me overcome it. Since then I have tried about 8 recipes from this book and am enjoying cooking in a way I never thought possible. My friend's son even said to her that the 'Simple Sponge cakes' I made from the book were as good as her cakes and she is a kitchen veteran and one of the best cooks I know! High praise for this book indeed. The tips on techniques are very helpful as are the full-colour illustrations throughout. The instructions are very clear and simple without coming across as patronising. A great range of savoury and sweet recipes for everyday eating and special occasions. When I have kids of my own I will certainly be using this with them. Can't recommend highly enough.
on 12 February 2011
I bought this for my teenage niece who wanted to expand her cookery repertoire and she loved it. I think her family appreciated the results too! I used the 'look inside' function to check it out, and I liked the illustrations and detailed instructions, just what she wanted to help her explore new areas of cooking.
on 14 April 2014
i purchased this book based on the title as a joke gift for a friend but it turned out to be a lot better than expected.

The recipes look delicious and there are a lot to choose from. However,I cant say anything about my friends cooking.

She loved the gift and said the recipes are easy to follow and taste very good. I declined to be a taster as I like my health the way it is.

The book is written in a way that anyone can follow and without anything too complicated. The instructions are clear, concise and to the point. It covers a range of starters, snacks, desserts and meals.

I wouldn't mind making a few of these dishes myself.

Basically if you need a beginners cookbook for anyone, this is highly recommended.
on 15 February 2009
I bought this book for my daughter she's 13 and loves cooking at school, Beginner Cookbook is just FAB not just for kids for adults too. I've never really been that handy in the kitchen, but even I have managed to bake some cookies and chocolate brownies. My daughter on the other has tried everything from the cheesy spinach flan to the plain scones, she didn't use spinach in the flan because we don't like spinach so she used ham and it was really lovely. This book tells you everything from what need to cook with to handy cooking hints. A good buy for anybody who would like to give cooking ago.
on 28 May 2011
ive just got this for my husband and i must say i want to keep it for myself. its brilliant!!!! i love how simple it is. its colourful and the recipes are just 'normal' no fancy stuff!!!! id recommend this to anyone wanting to start to cook
on 19 May 2013
I bought this book as a surprise gift for my 10-year-old granddaughter - and wasn't expecting her to be particularly excited, but she loves it! It's the most successful gift I have given her. Her father also has been moved to try out some of the recipes and seems to enjoy it, all the results so far have been successful, so the recipes must be OK. My granddaughter is Greek/English and her usual language is Greek; she is reluctant to read in English as Greek is easier for her, but she loves this book so much that she just plunges through it - this delights me.
I've only rated the book as four star because it is recommended for children and novice adults, but I think the content is perhaps too basic for adults.
on 31 May 2010
This is the second copy I've bought. The first one was for a kitchen shy father in law, the second for a kitchen shy father!
It is good for children and adults alike, even a man can use it!
on 23 June 2011
This book is excellent for beginners, and particularly good for children as it's well laid out with pictorial instructions. It's not only a recipe book, but it also contains useful information rgearding food/ nutrition that's easy to understand. A mixture of beautiful photographs and illustrated drawings makes this book visually appealing. The book opens easily and remains so as it's spiral bound, which is useful when following the recipe as you go along (i.e. you don't have to prop the book open). It's durable and very good value for money. I highly recommend this book for all ages.