4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, but check which imprint you're buying
The recipes are great, I regularly make cakes based on the recipes provided in the original 1987 printing of the book.

Published on 2 Dec. 2008 by B. Tucker

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy!
I do love this book because the recipes are very healthy like using wheatgerm in muesli, brillian! The reason why I have only rated this book 3 stars is because the book does not state how many portions the recipes serve.
Published 14 months ago by Gemma

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, but check which imprint you're buying, 2 Dec. 2008
B. Tucker (London, England) - See all my reviews

A word of caution however, I recently bought this for a niece and found that the the Spiral Bound edition of the book is an American edition. The American Edition uses American measurements and ingredients, ie. cups and corn syrup. I believe that the paperback is an English edition, it has proper weight measurements in both metric and imperial and uses ingredients like golden syrup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a brilliant book, 20-odd years later!, 11 Feb. 2010
Sue (C.I.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks) (Spiral-bound)
This was my first cookbook at the age of about 8 - and I still have it! The recipes are very easy to follow, don't require a lot of pots and pans, and the results are tasty! My favourite recipe is apple crumble, and for nostalgia reasons also Eggy Bread! (though of course I don't need the book for that...)

The pictures are more like mini-cartoons but are certainly no less helpful than photographs, and the cheery people adorning each page cannot fail to make you smile.

I am very much looking forward to my friends children being old enough to appreciate this and it will be in many christmas stockings in a few years time!

Well done Usborne!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant starter cookbook for any child, 14 Jan. 2010
This review is from: First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks) (Spiral-bound)
I bought this for my step-daughter who has just turned 10, and is really interested in cookery. I was concerned that the illustrations might be too childish for her, but the book is so well done. The step-by-step instructions are brilliant for kids to follow, and there is a great section on preparation. There are a great range of recipes, from basic to slightly more involved, so allows for some progression. I think this is one she will return to again and again for the basics. I'm very pleased with my purchase, and just so you know, the profiteroles are delicious!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful first cookery book, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks) (Spiral-bound)
This great book's lovely recipes really give children a love of cooking as everything turns out so well. It is very well written with clear, easy to follow instructions. I would recommend this book for all children and you can be sure that they will make something they will be very proud of. My children all took their copies with them when they left home and so I had to buy my own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cookbook with excellent illustrations, 17 July 2011
R. Fitzgerald (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks) (Spiral-bound)
I had the original edition as a child. The recipes all work and the tips and illustrations showing methods are great for children and adults learning to cook. I have continued to buy this book as presents. In my opinion, it is the best of the Usborne cookbooks. It is also superior to any student cookbook I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars HARDBACK (SPIRAL-BOUND) - is the AMERICAN version!, 1 Aug. 2010
Just to echo the other review that the hardback (spiralbound) version uses AMERICAN measurements & ingredients. (e.g. cups instead of gramms & zucchini instead of courgette etc....)

It is mildly irritating to have to alter all the measurements etc, but it is useful to have the hardback version, as the book stays open when cooking & is more durable than a softback.

I really don't understand why they haven't published a UK version in hardback!?

FAB book overall though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still using this 21 years later!, 30 Nov. 2008
I have the 1987 print of this book and I have to say I love it.
Favorites include the Chocolate Mousse and chocolate brownies which never fail to impress.
Great for kids and adults alike!

edit: THIS NEW VERSION DOESN'T CONTAIN THE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE. I'm assuming it's due to the raw eggs...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Cookbook, 27 Jan. 2011
This review is from: First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks) (Spiral-bound)
I bought this cookbook as a gift for my little sister and I love it (probably more than she does!). The illustrations are great and it provides clear instructions and simple savoury and sweet recipes. A great way of spending time with my sister and introducing her to cookery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy!, 16 Feb. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome Book, 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks) (Spiral-bound)
My 11 year old sister was delighted by this book and has already started cooking with it. The recipes are really good with me and my girlfriend still using an older version of the book. An excellent buy.

First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks)
First Cookbook (Usborne First Cookbooks) by Angela Wilkes (Spiral-bound - 29 Sept. 2006)