TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 September 2014
I borrowed a library Usborne First Reading edition. My son isn't a reader yet, but it's quite clearly a good choice for beginners - subject, repetition, story, characters and language all combine into an engaging book that won't seem like a chore to read, but a fun story.

For my non-reading preschooler, it's a book where he gets to go "raaaah!!" a lot. He looked out for the cues and loved the story of the naughty dinosaur who loses his roar after playing tricks on his friends.

Sid nurses his voice back and promises himself he won't scare his friends again. But what if his roar is actually useful?

It's a very simple tale, one that could actually be fleshed out into something much longer, but this version is perfect for young children.

I like the style of illustration and repeated phrases and the morals behind the story as well.

Great for 2 year olds up to emergent readers.
on 5 June 2008
From the 'Usborne First Reading' series of books.........but will it last?

This particular book is : LEVEL THREE.

From the back cover:

'Sid enjoys scaring the other dinosaurs with his mighty roar. They don't find it so funny. But what would happen if Sid ever lost his voice? He's about to find out.'

48 high quality shiny pages in the popular 2-page spread format.
Numbered pages.
Beautifully illustrated throughout in vibrant colours, this super book is further enhanced by meaningful expressions, a repeat element and some speech bubbles. Complete with royal blue ribbon bookmark!
Clear, easy-to-read text, enhanced in places FOR EFFECT!

Example of text:

'This is a story about five dinosaurs - Sid, Spike, Ross, Ollie and Rex.
Sid lived in the middle of a big forest.
He liked living in the forest.
He liked c r a s h i n g through bushes.
He liked c l i m b I n g tall trees.
And he liked s p l a s h i n g in the river.......'

...but his most irritating habit gets him into a bit of trouble and he realises that it is not so much fun being on the receiving end! He has a rest, ponders and decides to change his ways.....until his main talent REALLY is needed......... but .......has he still got it?
review image
on 16 October 2011
This is a great book for those learning to read but also for toddlers who are interested in dinosaurs. Both my kids loved it and liked to join in with the roars and the croaks!
on 5 January 2013
Bought for my 6 year old sister who is learning to read. Ideal text and language for those learning to read. A longer book than they will initially be used to but there's no harm in it taking more than one session to complete.
She loves it, her favourite book at the moment. Well illustrated too.
on 22 February 2014
Bought this book for my Dinosaur mad 3yr old; he loved it. It's a great read and makes him laugh every time we read it together. Would recommend.
on 31 March 2014
My 4 year old nephew loves this- my sister in law ensures me she's had to read it to him every night since I bought it for him!
on 2 February 2014
I bought this book for my 3 year old grandson. He loves it! And I enjoy reading it too! Would definitely recommend it.
on 12 May 2014
great LITTLE BOOK SUITABLE FOR MY GRANDSONS. WAS DELIGHTED WITH THE PURCHASE AND THE STORY LINE THANK YOU VERY MUCH
on 20 March 2013
I bought this as a present for my nephew for his 3rd birthday. He absolutely adored it and so did my little girl who was reluctant to hand it over as a present! Well written and beautifully illustrated...a firm favourite for both boys and girls alike!
on 22 January 2015
My 3 year old dinosaur obsessive adores this book, and it's one that I enjoy reading to him too more than some of the others! Would definitely recommend for a 2/3/4 year old dinosaur fan!