5.0 out of 5 stars A good test for the memory in this super book
from the 'Usborne Young Reading' series of books, which combines good stories with easy reading text.

This particular book is : LEVEL THREE.....and remains one of the favourite titles in our reading corner, because of the 'all join-in' interaction it oozes!

From the back cover:-

'There's gold in the castle that Jack built - and a greedy...
Published on 19 Mar 2009 by A Customer of AMAZON-UK

We aren't reading in my house yet, I wanted this to introduced my son to one of the classic repetitive tales. This would be great for a beginning reader, with tee common words listed at the start, clear text and lots of practice throughout.

We loved the pictures, a fun and bright style.

As a picture book it doesn't work very well though. I found it...
Published 8 days ago by K. J. Noyes

5.0 out of 5 stars A good test for the memory in this super book, 19 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Castle That Jack Built (Usborne First Reading: Level 3) (Hardcover)

From the back cover:-

'There's gold in the castle that Jack built - and a greedy dragon wants it. One thing leads to another in this new version of the classic nursery rhyme given a fairytale twist.'

Durable board covers open to 48 high quality shiny pages, of which the first two introduce the main 'characters'.
Numbered pages.
Beautifully illustrated throughout, by Mike Gordon, and further enhanced by relevant facial expressions.
Complete with silver grey ribbon bookmark!

Clear easy-to-follow-text.

Example of text:-

'This is the castle that Jack built.
This is the gold that sat in the castle that Jack built.
This is the dragon who stole the gold that sat in the castle that Jack built.
This is the wagon that followed the dragon who stole the gold that sat in the castle that Jack built....'

and so the tale carries on towards a breathless ending!
Look out for the troll with the scritchy itch!

Some of the other recommended books from LEVEL THREE include:-

The The Fish That Talked
The Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly
The Dinosaur Who Lost His Roar
The Gingerbread Man
The Goose that laid the Golden Eggs
The Little Red Hen
The Enormous Turnip

3.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to read as a picture book, unlike others in the series, 6 Sep 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

We loved the pictures, a fun and bright style.

As a picture book it doesn't work very well though. I found it hard to read aloud with any rhythm and found the illustrations difficult to interpret and tell a story with. A lot was going on, I should have read it though first and considered more carefully.

We finished it but my son didn't seem enamoured. We'll see if he wants it again.

I'll try it again as a 'beginner' book, but I didn't enjoy reason it aloud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repetition aids reading, 19 Nov 2013
I wondered if this re-telling of an old story might be too repetitive for my grandson who has found reading does not come as easily as maths. However reading the same words over and over gave him confidence and he really enjoyed reading the story out loud. when he had finished reading it to me he wanted to go on and read it again with his grandfather to show him how good he was at reading, and also because he thought it was a good story.

The Castle That Jack Built (Usborne First Reading: Level 3)
3.99