5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent book for the younger boy starting puberty
Published on 19 Jun 2008 by L. Woodland

3.0 out of 5 stars A good book for early juniors
I bought this for my son when he started secondary, as I realised I was fairly ignorant about the specifics of what he might expect to happen, and anyway, he'd probably rather sell his i-pod than hear any of it from his mother.
The book is very, very basic. Important issues are jauntily dispatched in a couple of sentences. The artwork reminds me of Biffer and Chip...
Published 11 months ago by Edie

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent book for the younger boy starting puberty, 19 Jun 2008
L. Woodland "Woodlandstar" (North Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
In my view, this is an excellent book for the younger child (9-12) starting puberty. I read this book from cover to cover before giving it to my 9 year old son and I did not find anything in it that I would not want my son to know about. To put it in perspective, the other three books I ordered, in my view, were not suitable for a 9 year old and I have had to put them away until my son is older as they are more explicit and discuss topics in too much detail. I would feel comfortable reading this book with my child or allowing my child to read this book alone.
This book is written in very simple language with almost cartoon style illustrations and so can be easily understood by the younger child going through puberty. The book describes exactly what will happen to their body in a straightforward, easy to understand way. Not only does the book explain physical changes, differences and feelings, the book also covers; responsibilities and sections on how best to look after their body through basic diet, exercise, personal hygiene and health. One particular theme that runs through the book is that each child is unique and each child develops at different times, and changes to their body may happen in a different order to their mates - so that even if they are not developing the same as their mates or if they look different to their mates - this is perfectly normal and it is OK to be different. Knowing this can help reduce some of the insecurities, embarrassments and frustrations that going through puberty can cause.
In addition, I like the fact that the book also covers what to do in difficult situations, such as peer pressure, re: bullying, smoking, drinking, drugs, sex and the right to say `No!' to peer pressure.
The book also includes a small section to help boys to understand some of the changes that happens to girls highlighting that girls worry about the changes happening to them just as much as boys and even have a lot of the same problems.
If you are wondering, which book to get for your young male starting puberty - I don't think you will be disappointed with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 28 Mar 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
This book is great. Without it i would haev been lost. Not explicit at all. Kids will allready have seen this stuff (pics) - and if not don't want to concentrate on it, just the information. Really good for me, wish i'd had it when i was about 10. Better than hearing it in the playground. Good for kind who don't really want to talk to their folks too.

I'm a 12 year old boy - in my opinion this book is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful book, 13 Mar 2010
My son is almost 10 and this book helped me explain in a child friendly way about growing up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 18 May 2012
S Dudley (Swindon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
Bought this on a recommendation from a friend with older kids, our 10year old was given this to read when he wanted, its brilliant and could have done with this when I was 10....

5.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate content for my 11 year old., 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
I bought this book to prepare my son for his sex education lessons. The book is written in a factual way and was a quick read. My son read it quickly and it helped put everything in to context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
This is an excellent book. It explains everything a boy needs to know and not in too much detail. I bought this for my nephew because his Dad didn't know how to broach the subject - hoping that this will make the conversation easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for teenage son, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
this book was recommended to me by a friend. Well worth purchasing and was exactly what was needed.

brought for a 12 year old

5.0 out of 5 stars common sense, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
Lots of info, not emotive, it has a common sense approach. As well as the facts it also has confidence building thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Right Level, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
We bought this book to supplement the PHSE lessons our son was having at school. He's 10 (yr 5). Personally I think this could have waited another year but this is when his school cover puberty and sex education.

I think this book is very well written and aimed at just the right level. It doesn't read like a biology text book but covers each of the topics in enough detail to be informative without being patronising. The pictures/diagrams are clear.

I would recommend this book as a great way to supplement your son's (school or home taught) sex education because it enables them to look up things they're unsure about but are too embarrassed to ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book., 31 July 2013
This review is from: What's Happening to Me?: Boy (Paperback)
I thought this book was great for the first experience of a young boy and very age appropriate.Great book highly recommend it. My son was able to read it in private too and I had no worries.

What's Happening to Me?: Boy
What's Happening to Me?: Boy by Alex Frith (Paperback - 17 Jun 2013)
5.59