5.0 out of 5 stars Making Shakespeare accessible for young children, 8 Dec 2009
I have tried several retellings of Shakespeare's plays for my bright 6-year-old son, and this one is by far our favourite. I purchased the luxury edition and it arrived in perfect condition. The cover is cloth-bound and has a much warmer feel than other books. The illustrations, printed on thick paper, are lovely and lively. Anna Claybourne has done a fantastic job with these stories. Some other retellings are dry and dull, others are too advanced or inappropriate for young children, and the Marsha Williams books have too much of an 'and then, and then, and then...' feel to them. These stories are exactly that: stories; they are not summaries or abridgements. We tried the Lambs' book and E. Nesbitt's version, but they lacked illustrations and just weren't engaging enough. This book has made Shakespeare accessible for my young son and we love it. My only complaint is that there aren't more stories included!

5.0 out of 5 stars Step into the wondrous world of Shakespeare, 19 Aug 2011
This review is from: Stories from Shakespeare (Hardcover)
I bought this a few years ago at a Summer Fair when my children were far too young to read it and I was unable to resist it. It was a great concept because the plays were adapted to narrative style without simplifying or trimming too much. The true essence of Shakespeare's plays was there in full glory. The illustrations were rich bursts of colour jumping out of the beautifully textured, deeply contrasted pages of what appears to be gouache paintings: some are bright and light, some are dark and ominous and submerged in washes of mystery.

Now aged 8, my daughter has spontaneously picked up this book from the shelf -I found her in bed with it- and read it voraciously this summer over two or three days. Story after story. Non-stop. There is magic, there is drama, there is love, there is tension, there is action, there are funny bits, how could a child not like this?

When asked which story is her favourite, she says she likes all of them (with maybe a slight preference for "Hamlet"). I couldn't be more pleased. To top it all, she has come up with a game where players take turns at reading one or two lines from any story and the other players have to guess what play the quote is from.

Now that she knows the stories, we are moving on to Manga Shakespeare, the graphic novels/plays where the stories have been re-set in different times/historic contexts/countries but the original Shakespearean language has been preserved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shakespeare for Children, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Stories from Shakespeare (Hardcover)
Great way to introduce children to Shakespeare ' s work in a way they can understand. The illustrations help as well my 7 year old is really enjoying it

Stories from Shakespeare
Stories from Shakespeare by Elena Temporin (Hardcover - 28 July 2006)
7.99