5.0 out of 5 stars A great bedtime read for boys
A fantastic book for young boys. My 5 year old was given the book for Christmas and has insisted on having a story from it before bedtime every night- now we've got to hope for a sequel!!
Published on 9 Jan. 2009 by S. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars My son seems less than impressed.
I bought this for my 4 year old son last Christmas. I buy a lot of books as he loves to be read to (and to read for himself, now he can. However, this book has never been a favourite.
Published on 14 Nov. 2010 by A. Dunlop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bedtime read for boys, 9 Jan. 2009
S. Brown (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
Each story is relatively short but the text and illustrations make the reader feel grown up whilst capturing their imagination - pirates, monsters, ghosts and adventures (but nothing too sinister!)
Now that we've read each of the stories together, my son is returning to the book by himself and beginning to read it independently, enjoying the stories just as much as the first time.
A really great buy and thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good content, but so heavy the binding splits quickly, 10 July 2009
Dr. L. MCCAFFREY (Barnsley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
Our young boys love the stories and colourful illustrations. Stories are a mix of old (Sinbad, Treasure Island) and new (Robot Robbery, the Haunted TV etc). This is a physically heavy book for small children, and while the page binding is strong and well put together (it has a built in page marker), it wasn't strong enough to put up with moderately rough handling. The spine of our copy has seperated from the pages within 3 months. Its a shame, but we will still get many months of night after night, repeat reading out of it. Recommended, probably for boys 3 to 7, or even 10? Girls would probably dig some of the stories too.

3.0 out of 5 stars My son seems less than impressed., 14 Nov. 2010
A. Dunlop "Delphi" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
On a plus side, it is full of adventurous situations and imaginative scenarios, and I am surprised he doesn't seem to like it, as I enjoyed reading it to him. At first I wondered if it was too old for him, but I know this can't be true, because he has enjoyed books to be read to him that are defintely for much older children.
I think perhaps the stories lack a strong enough conclusion for him. Children with big imaginations may enjoy these stories more, but I think my son likes there to be more of a point to it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book!, 13 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
We love these Usbourne books, and have now bought two of these as gifts, plus a number of the others for our own collection! The stories are beautifully written and illustrated meaning that adults love reading them too. The book has a padded cover which is really tactile and is chunky while being a good size for small hands (approx A5). Fantastic purchase - great value for money!

1.0 out of 5 stars very dissapointing, 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
Just dissapointing all round, weak narratives, missing conclusions and thin on drama, these stories seem to have been thrown together in five minutes. You would be better off improvising a story from your own imagination and your child wont be left going "eh?" at the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Something not right about this book, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
Neither I nor my grandson (aged 6 when I bought this book) liked it. The stories were curiously unsatisfying and sometimes ended abruptly. So it had to leave the bookshelf, and I confess I didn't even take it to the charity shop as I did not want it to disappoint other children, so it went into the recycling bin... What a terrible admission, but that's what happened. Sorry Usborne.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for reluctant readers, 5 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
This is a special book to me as it was the first book my 7-year old first really enjoyed reading to himself - and to me as he thought it was so good he wanted to share it. As a child who enjoyed being read to but not reading to himself it was wonderful to see him enjoying this book and it gave him confidence to move onto other books. It's good for younger children or less confident readers as the engaging stories are short, and there aren't too many words on each page - and the writing is broken up by interesting illustrations. The stories are good too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Boys Stories, 27 Mar. 2011
M. Stow "Wraith" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
My 6 year old grandson loves this book - it stays at our house and is part of the bedtime routine. His only complaint is that although there is a picture of a shark on the front cover, there are no stories about sharks (his favourite animal) in the book which nearly prompted a strongly worded letter!

However there are pirates, robots, lazy boys, ghosts, knights, monsters (not too scary)and giants; all the things boys like. A resounding success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed with this book, 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
This is a lovely book, there is a nice mix of words on the page and pictures. the illustrations are also of good quality. This was exactly what I was looking for to read to my 5 month old as he has his last evening feed. A book that has enough of a story for me to be able to read it to him and not be done in 2 minutes, and I can imagine that it will be perfect when he's older to read by himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 year old son loves it, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Illustrated Stories for Boys (Hardcover)
the book features both new stories and classics abbreviated. the stories are wonderfully told and illustrated, being neither too childish nor too demanding for a 4 or 5 year old. most stories are short enough for a bed time read, and i enjoy reading them, unlike most books for boys! we must have read this book 5 times front to back by now and he still picks it up every night!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Illustrated Stories for Boys
Illustrated Stories for Boys by Various (Hardcover - 28 July 2006)