Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 December 2008
My 7-year-old daughter, Lara, and I love the Oliver Moon books. All of them. They're great fun, well illustrated and just right for children who are starting to become independent readers. I started off reading a chapter a night, but my daughter wanted more and more. Eventually, she grabbed them off the shelf and read them for herself. No, this is not Harry Potter: Oliver Moon is for younger readers and there is no hint of darkness in these stories. When Lara went to see Father Christmas she told him the only thing she really wanted was an Oliver Moon book.
My son and I came across the Oliver Moon books quite recently - and what a hit they've been! He's a good reader for his age and so I was looking for chapter books that weren't too difficult to read and that were easy for a little one to understand. Oliver Moon is a young wizard and the books are all about the capers that he, and his family, get up to. In this book Oliver is nominated for Young Wizard of the Year and all sorts of magical mayhem ensues as he tries to win the award.

These books have hit the nail on the head! They are full of lovely humour that five years plus can easily understand and appreciate, and have lovely, short chapters that are brilliant for giving a real sense of accomplishment to a reader who's embarking on "proper" books for the first time. Fantastic!!
on 3 January 2016
Bought this for my 7 year old as he likes to dabble in art and has been told he is good. He loves it as do I - I have to read it to him as his bedtime story every night and leaves both of us desperate to get out the drawing/painting kit and start right then. He is reading over my shoulder the whole way. We tested a few methods out today and they produced great results! Very pleased.
on 3 June 2012
This is just the right level for my son to enjoy, and good fun to read aloud too. Am very pleased to have found this series, think we will be reading a fair few more! Tonight I read to my son (5.5) but don't think it'll be long before he's reading to me. Left him reading on himself. Also a good one for convincing him that books with black and white pictures only are fun too!
on 9 February 2015
Oliver Moon is the younger reader's 'Harry Potter'. Children will revel in the descriptions of the disgusting living conditions and diet required of all the best wizards, and in the distinctive illustrations! Oliver Moon and the Potion Commotion is the first in a series of books. The story itself has the perfect combination of tension and humour which will keep children wanting to read. The chapters are short enough for those who have just attained reading independence and as such the series would be 'the next step' from books which are anthologies of short stories such as 'Horrid Henry' and 'Dertie Bertie'

on 3 January 2015
My 7 year old loves these books and reads them independently with great pride and enjoyment. She has learning difficulties so struggles to stay motivated with more text heavy books. These have the perfect balance of text/illustrations as well as being interesting and fun stories.

If, like me, you have had a child who has not been so motivated to read independently or for pleasure, or who has a learning difficulty that makes reading more of a challenge, then these books could be the ones which help your child kick-start their reading.
on 19 November 2011
Excellent story content ,satisfying for young Harry Potter fans too !
I bought the set of ten in this series last year for our eldest grandson,a Harry potter fan.He could read them easily himself when he was 5 but the amount of type on each page seemed to put him off. What a difference a few months make,he was 6 in September this year ...last night he read the whole book for himself and could'nt wait to re-tell the story for me.He was so excited and is looking forward to reading the other 9 books . I will just have to make sure he reads during the day instead of silently reading in bed until 9.35pm !
on 5 February 2011
Fab series,

Some of the first which my six year old has read on her own - but she loves them so much she insists that I listen too! Great word play, well wrapped-up plots, and credible characters combined with the ever-popular magic school formula. Ideal for 5-7 year olds.
on 8 May 2014
Please Ms Mongredien continue to write such lovely stories about the wonderful Oliver Moon for one of your biggest fan my son (9)
on 29 May 2014
I bought this book to read to my class at school and it proved very popular - I can recommend it.