4.0 out of 5 stars A First Reading Book For Young Children
Published on 11 Nov 2008 by debbie8355

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too easy to read
I bought this book for my 6 year old, and while she is a good reader I didn't imagine how fast she'd go through it: the book was read in 10 minutes! In my opinion it is way too abridged to be a good version and if I had known I would definitely have gone for a different version.
Published on 2 May 2010 by Mel D

4.0 out of 5 stars A First Reading Book For Young Children, 11 Nov 2008
debbie8355 (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
I must admit after reading the first two reviews of this edition of Black Beauty I was expecting a longer version of the book. This is a very highly abridged version of the story only really suitable for children who have just learnt to read very simple stories independently. The photo does not show it says 'Usborne Young Reading' whereas on the actual book this is prominent on the front cover above 'Black Beauty'. It's 64 pages long and very heavy on illustrations with each page having approximately 30 words per page (similar editions to the reading books my 6 year old brings home from school).

No mention of fires or anything in depth or troubling is mentioned. It's a very santised, emotionless version of the classic story. It's more like 'there once was a horse and these were its owners'.

Excellent if you just want an introduction to the basic story of Black Beauty with some lovely illustrations. I would think anyone over 6/7 would be too old for this edition though.

4.0 out of 5 stars good introduction to Black Beauty, 6 Jan 2009
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
I loved reading Black Beauty when I was young, although I did find it harrowing. So lately when I saw a beautifully illustrated unabridged version I had to stop myself buying it for my 5 year old as I know it would be too much for her, and I wanted her love the story like I did.
A friend of mine sent my daughter this abridged version. I thought she mightn't like it as there are no fairies, little girls, ballerinas or princes.
Just goes to show how wrong we can be. She really really enjoys having it read to her. I have lost count of the times we've read it. It is sanitised compared to the long version, but still manages to convey the barbarity of the treatment of horses, cruelty, death and ultimately a happy ending. It is not the usual sugar coated story I am so used to reading to my daughter. Even tho it is so abridged, I still sometimes nearly shed a tear while I am reading it. It's not the book I fell in love with all those years ago, but it's a good stepping stone towards the full story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too easy to read, 2 May 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
A good little book. My grandaughter is reading quite well so we thought that starting her off on what we call classics we help her understand more which it did. Once she had started it we had trouble taking it off her until she had finished it. It obviously did go in because she can recall most of what she read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty, 16 Jan 2014
J. W. Fewtrell (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
I bought this for my 7 year old grandaughter to read to her little brother, who is crazy about horses. Lovely illustrations, and about the right level for both of them

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice child's gift, 11 Oct 2012
Mrs. S. A. Orlinski (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
Bought this with 2 other books for a child. Nicely bound etc and child friendly. I didn't read them but type clear and good illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real beauty, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my 6 year old Granddaughter. She absolutely loves it as it is so easy to read and beautifully illustrated so she can be sure of following and understanding the story. Retains the essence of the original although of course heavily abridged to suit young readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the very young, 8 Feb 2006
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
This book did for horses what Charles Dickens managed for workhouses, boarding schools and several other of the less laudable Victorian institutions. Like Dickens, it has survived the test of time and remains on most “Children's Classic” lists. Although there are plenty of horsy adventures for the hero, Sewell manages to avoid almost all of the traps of anthropomorphism and sickening sentimentality that infest most kids' books that touch upon matters equine. This book should however come with a warning: it can be quite brutal, as was the Victorian's treatment of working horses and, when I first read it as a child of six I found it harrowing and desperately upsetting (although it does have a reasonably happy ending). At 44, I still can't read it without a tear and a lumpy throat so this is probably not one for the nursery bookshelf; however, it remains on my list of essential reading for children. My eight-year-old son is studying Victorian history as his school project and has put down Harry Potter in favour of this; trying to prevent my six-year-old, horse-mad daughter from picking it up may prove problematical.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 23 Oct 2014
top book for my 7yr old daughter who is crazy about animals. great price

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov 2014
This review is from: Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) (Hardcover)
excellent introduction to the book for young readers!

Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions)
Black Beauty (Young Reading Gift Editions) by Alan Marks (Hardcover - 25 Nov 2005)