5.0 out of 5 stars North Child, 7 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have ever read if not the best. It is brilliant and the author must have spent a long time finding out about these strange superstitions. It was based on the Scandinavian fairy tale "East of the Sun and West of the Moon". Everyone who can read should read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great glimpse into the fantasy world of Norway, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
Being norwegian I was drawn to the cover of this book right away, recognizing it as a picture from my favorite fairytale! So obvioulsy, I had to read it. And I do not regret that choice! The story is moving, well written and full of funny little Norwegian trinkets, words and mythic lore. My favorite fairytale blown into full scale novel. How can I argue with that?

It's a moving love story, based upon the typical "beauty & the beast" storyline, but it is SO much more than that. If you like fairytales, if you like nordic myths, then read it. You wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for young readers and grown ups, 28 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
I just enjoyed this book so much. My daughter who is 12 cried and wouldn´t stop reading, when she read the book and I had to read the book. It was brilliant even for a grown up who is not too old for fairitales. However I did find some of the socalled Scandinavian words funny- a bit American in its aproach.

4.0 out of 5 stars "She would search for him. In the land that lay east of the sun and west of the moon. But there was no way there.", 6 Nov 2007
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
NORTH CHILD or EAST, if you are buying it from America, is based upon a Norwegian fairytale, "East of the Sun and West of the Moon". Even if you are not familiar with the original tale, if you have read any fairytales at all you are sure to notice echoes of them within this charming story.

Rose is a girl born into a large family. Unlike her brothers and sisters, Rose has a tendancy to wander. Her mother sees this as being a result of her being born a north facing babe - for her mother the world is understood by supersition and ritual, and so she fears that Rose will travel far from home and that they will lose her. These fears seem to be justified when, one night, a mysterious white bear appears at their house saying that, if Rose will go and live with him, her poorly sister Sara shall recover from her illness. To the shock of her family, Rose agrees to go with the creature.
Rose and the white bear travel to his castle in the mountains. Although he does not treat her badly, Rose feels that she is being held prisoner in this icy home. Her days are spent usually on her own, although the white bear does spend some time with her during the day.
But it is her mysterious night-time visitor, who lies next to her each night, that gets Rose's curiosity going. In the end her curiosity gets the better of her, and she does something that has huge consequences not just for her but also for the white bear. Now she must leave the castle and embark upon another journey - but this one shall be to a land that is even more hostile and desolute than the one she will leave behind. In this far off place, she will then face her true destiny.

Like many fairytales, it is easy to know from early on just what will happen in the book. However, this does not detract from the joy I had whilst I was reading NORTH CHILD. Watching the relationship develop between Rose and the white bear was quite beautiful - the descritpions of the castle and their unusual life together are simple yet stunning.
I mentioned that NORTH CHILD has echoes of fairytales, and for me these included "Beauty and the Beast" and a T.V. adaptation in the "Storyteller" series with John Hurt about Sapsorrow. For me this added to the pleasure of the book. It really is a lovely book that can be enjoyed by children and by adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edith Pattou is a master storyteller -, 23 Mar 2009
S. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
North child is one of my all time favourite books. You cannot simply resist diving into a magical world of Norway, where the land is a blanket of snow and where a young girl called Rose falls in love with a polar bear and goes on an incredible journey. Born in the North, Rose is predicted to be adventurous but also finds herself in a tangle of romance. Empathise with this North Child; feel her disappointment when she realises the love of her life has another fiance, feel her determination as she journeys on through her life and share her courage as she takes a life risking plunge into the world. This book is a fantastic read and you will be sorry that you missed out, if you do not read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars enchanting!! that sums it up!!!, 14 Aug 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
Being a norweigen, I only bought this book because of the polar bear on the cover and the word NORTH in the title. At first I was confused by the fact that Rose, the main character, is telling the story at some time and her brother or father, or even the queen of the trolls, is telling the story at other times. But when I understood that part, it became a book I couldn't put down. Based on the fairytale 'east of the sun and west of the moon' the book takes you on a journey; first to norway, then to france, over the sea and to the world of the trolls, then back to norway again. It's a book I would highly recommend!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intreaguing!, 18 Feb 2008
A. Hamilton "anyah12" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
This books was thouroughly enjoyable. It took a little bit to get started but... if you can keep going to the 4th or 5th chapter, it completely makes up for it! The story is full of twists and turns and surprises. A really great book for both children and adults also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
A beautiful book - am currently reading it to my 8 year old and we are looking forward to bedtime each night to find out what will happen next. Rare to find a book that has both parent and child enraptured!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
I ordered this book from a recommendation by a friend and was absolutely spellbound. I would pick it up and read it whenever I got a moment, as it has such a wonderful pace and I couldn't wait to see what happened next. I wasn't familiar with the old folk tale that it was based on but I absolutely loved the story. Despite its length(over 500 pages), it's an easy read, flowing perfectly from one section of the story to the next and the descriptions are so wonderful, that I felt as if I was travelling along with Rose through all those snowy landscapes! I think children and adults alike would love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book is an unforgettable journey., 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: North Child (Paperback)
Norwegian Folk Tales: From the Collection of Peter Christen Asbj2rnsen, J2rgen Moe (The Pantheon Fairy Tale & Folklore Library)A friend sent me the book "North Child" as a gift. I loved it from the beginning. The image of the girl on the cover reminded me of one of my favourite Norwegian Folktales, the "White Bear King Valemon". I got so curious I put down the book I was halfway through last week and started reading "North Child". Turned out was created from a similar Norwegian tale, "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" I had not known.

"North Child" is written in an unusual way that captivated my imagination immediately. There is no narrator - the story is told by the characters themselves, each in their own way of speaking, allowing the reader to identify much more strongly with each of them than you would when reading a narrative. This I felt is one of the secrets of this book.

The characters of the story, from Rose, the girl, her parents and brother to the White Bear and the Troll Queen herself come alive intensely.
There is the added beauty of the flavour of a large variety of landscapes as they are travelled and customs as they are witnessed by the characters themselves.

Last not least - the book gives you an insight into the development of the characters and especially, how their relationship to each other and ultimately to themselves unfolds - in each character I discovered something familiar, something of myself, something I could relate and feel for deeply, whether in myself or in my loved ones. This makes reading this book based on a Norwegian wondertale so real, so rewarding.
Reading it is a great adventure, evoking understanding and compassion as a resonance in the reader.

A book I will pass on to my best friends.

North Child
North Child by Edith Pattou (Paperback - 25 Feb 2006)