5.0 out of 5 stars PGCE Student
Published on 28 Jan. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have time to adapt it
The activities provided in this book are excellent, but they are squeezed onto every available inch of space. As a result, the worksheets would appear cluttered and busy, especially to those with additional needs. Moreover, several activities are combined on any given page, but not necessarily practising the same skill, so additional photocopying may be required to...
Published on 21 Feb. 2011 by Mrs. J. L. Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars PGCE Student, 28 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Usborne Guide to Better English: Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation (English Guides) (Paperback)
This is a very comprehensive and easy to read guide on basic grammar, spelling and punctuation. The text is laid out in a manner that is clear with pictures to demonstrate the wording. As someone who cannot remember being taught most grammar and punctuation, this has been the easiest to read and the most concise book that I have found relating to grammar, spelling and punctuation. I thoroughly reccommend this book to anyone who needs to re learn, to understand and fill in the gaps in their knowledge in this area.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book!, 8 Feb. 2009
I purchased this book for my eleven year old granddaughter, who has been having some difficulty with her punctuation (I don't live near enough to help much in person). It is a great little book: well written, humorous and interesting to read - I would recommend it to anyone as it makes the subject accessible to youngsters who don't have an unquenchable love for all things connected with English Grammar but want to do well in their school work!

5.0 out of 5 stars My grammar bible, 11 Mar. 2010
Fabulous guide. I have recommended it numerous times for my adult GCSE English students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Oct. 2011
I bought this for my 9 year old niece, as she loves to read and write. I had a quick look through it and couldn't believe how much was crammed into it and how easily everything was explained. I learned a few things too!....I am seriously thinking of buying a book for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory lane, 28 Feb. 2011
T. Giles (Kings Langley) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 5 1/2 year old who has just come home asking all the questions Why? Why? Why? about grammar nouns verbs adjectives comma apostrophe's etc. A very full book, so much information but I have to be honest and bought this book to refresh my school memory. I wish I had had this book at school, perhaps my grammar will get better at work now. Worth the effort and time reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 30 Aug. 2011
I like the way this book is laid out. I would recommend this book to anyone willing to improve their english.
There are many exercises and answers, with lots of simple explanation on each topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Finest English Language Guide Ever written., 3 Jan. 2010
What more could you ask? It's clear, accurate, easy to understand, logically laid out, and the illustrations really help the explanations. It's the one reference I really wish I'd had when I was at school.

I have recommended it to young children, teenagers, and a range of adults and all agree that it is just what they were looking for.

Spelling, grammar and punctuation are never going to be the most gripping subject matter, but if any book can make them accessible then this is it. And IT'S CHEAP!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent book from Usbourne, 24 Jan. 2010
Excellent book, well put together and easy to use. Age range is probably all primary school years but with help from parents for 5-7 year olds.

This book will remind (or correct) parents knowledge of English grammer, sorry, grammar, spelling and punctuation. I never knew spelling was so difficult!

Small points which I disagree with are, for example, the use of double speech marks with only a passing reference to the fact that some people use single speech marks instead. I thought that the general usage was now single as opposed to double. Still, if you don't agree with what's been said (and that will, I think, be very rarely) then you can correct it yourself before passing it to your child to use as a reference (also check with the school as to their preferred way).

All in all, good value and one of the best on the market dealing with this age range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Improving my English, 28 Jan. 2010
I have never understood Grammar, but I this Book three days ago, and I suddenly I seem to begin to understand Grammar.
Everyone should be able to understand, this simple book.
I can only recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun way to learn, 5 Sept. 2009
Bought this item for a relative who wanted to help her son with his English as a second language. Really impressed with it. Looks a bit wordy, but the text and illustrations are fun and easy to follow. Great internet links and little tests to follow.
Worked as a teacher teaching English as a second language myself and would certainly recommend this book for parents and teachers alike, both for use with English as a first or a second language.