Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 February 2002
This book uses a really nice design featuring bright colours and friendly illustrations to introduce children (or interested adults) to playing chess.
It explains how the pieces move and how they work best in a clear and logical way, with the illustrations helping to re-inforce the different "characters" of all the chess pieces in a way that is both memorable and fun.
There are clear diagrams to follow that explain how different combinations of moves work, and also plenty of puzzles to stimulate thought about what might happen when certain moves are played.
Also packed with useful and fun little nuggets of extra information. A great place to start learning the game of chess.
Another interesting feature is the Internet-linking aspect of the book. Although this isn't really a major feature, so shouldn't deter people who don't have access to the internet.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2005
When I took this from the packaging, I was surprised at how thin the book was for the money. Despite that, though, my two children 9aged 6 and 8) have been through it from cover to cover and have already after less than two days picked up several of the basics.
I still feel the price is slightly high, but the book clearly knows how to interest children.
on 19 August 2011
I was impressed by the book. My 5 year old grandson and I both learned a lot about chess in an engaging way
on 19 January 2010
I bought this book for my 9 year old daughter who had expressed an interest in playing chess, her grandparents bought her a chess board and this book is a wonderful easy guide, with lots of pictures explaining how each piece moves and how to play chess. It is very colourful and easy reading. My 9 year read it in one go but easy to refer back to to find out more information. A great book for a child staring out at playing chess.
on 21 December 2010
This enjoyable little book is definitely written for children to pick up the basics and more! Great little illustrations and simple explanations make chess easy to pick up in a short time. Well worth buying it!
on 13 October 2004
I am 7 years old and I wasn't into chess very much until we read this book. There were lots of things I didn't know and fun pictures. It is a really useful book.
on 11 August 2013
Another great book from usborne books. I bought it for my 7 year old boy who was desperate to play chess. He read it from cover to cover a couple of times and because of the great pictures and explanations he go the hang of the game very easily .
on 24 January 2013
i brought this for my 8 year old daughter at christmas. she really enjoyed using it to start learning to play chess. so much so that she has now joined the chess club
on 6 January 2016
This is an excellent little book. as an adult who never learnt to play but wants to teach younger generation. we can learn together..it is not an easy game to try and explain, and this book helps to explain clearly the pieces and how they can move. would recommend to anyone new to the game. and its handy to check back if you keep forgetting
on 1 May 2013
my 7-year-old started chess club and my husband & I don't play. He picked up this book immediately and read it to himself. It has little puzzles in to test your understanding, and great pictures and language to really engage a child. He has started to teach us, now and this book and a cheap chess set is alll you need