on 27 November 2004
This is a gorgeous book, with lovely illustrations and lots of little flaps to lift and find what's underneath. Many of the flaps are quite small, so it is better for slightly older children who can be more careful. It is a simple retelling of the Christmas story, with only one or two lines per page. A definite winner.
on 31 August 2006
We've been looking for a good "churchy" book to keep our 2 1/4 year old occupied and "on track" (tractors, trucks and cars just aren't that spiritual!) and this one is great - SO many flaps that it keeps him going for a good long while before he starts demanding to "go home".

He can now recite the entire book which has nice simple language, unfussed and easy to follow, plus the detailed pictures of the fabulous models (I wonder how long it took for them all to be made...) allow for additional in-depth discussion as to what is going on "behind the scenes".

I wouldn't recommend it for much younger toddlers or those who are not good at opening flaps - they are small and can tear if not handled with a bit of care, although the quality of the paper is excellent, a bit thicker than some of the books we have bought and it would need a good yank to do real damage.

If you want a good, simple, fun and pleasing (especially the shiny angel pages) book I would really go for this one!
on 24 October 2006
I bought this for my daughter when she was just 2. I wanted to teach her the true meaning of Christmas as well as the fun of Santa Claus (I also bought 'Santas Suit' by Kate Lee). She adores this book,and the flaps are a real winner. Now at age 5 she does not just ask for it at Christmas, this book comes out all year, although I am sure in the run up to Christmas it will be a daily read again.
on 30 November 2004
This is an exquisite and wonderfully thought out book for small children.
I don't know HOW they have made it so beautifully, the images look like they have created models, positioned and photographed them (as in Wallace & Grommit style).
There are plenty of flaps on every page to lift, and the story of Joseph & Mary is simply & sweetly told.
Including the shepherds being visited by angels, and the three wise men travelling on to Bethlehem.
The attention to detail is amazing & clever little touches like lizards behind bushes and cats on roofs - lovely.
Little fingers love it!
This is a book I have been reading to my son so many times since I purchased it last year.
Also every friend who sees the book want's to purchase it.
I have it for my 3 yr old but my sister will buy it for her 8yr old. We will keep it for years to come.
Kotori - ojadis@yahoo.com
on 30 November 2008
My daughter loves this book. Lots of flaps of all sizes to lift up and doors to open. Great book to discuss with your child, as there is lots of things going on and animals to discover. My daughter got this book when she was 3, and now 1 year on still wants me to read it.