Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 January 2008
This really is the best book for beginners and it's a such a fast and fun way to learn the language. It's also brilliant for intermediate students who just want to remind themselves of the basics. I have bought so many of these books for friends, and my private students (the French and Spanish versions too), and they have all found them very helpful and not too heavy going. Everyone learns better with pictures and the ones in the book are amusing and informative. There are so many other books to choose from but this one is by far the best for immediate self learning. Suitable for any age from 4 up to 84!! It really is. If you just want to learn a smattering of German then this is the book to buy. It will teach you so much in such a short space of time and you can prepare yourself to immerse yourself into the German culture and make good acquaintances right away. Always important to make a good impression in a country you are visiting, and to learn common courtesies :o)
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2009
My ten year old niece has just begun to learn German at school and since I speak the language (although not without my own mistakes -we all have something to learn) I am giving her private tuition. This is a wonderful book;it is not too demanding of the learner,but not too 'leicht' either. The book is colourful and fun and the accompanying CD is most useful.I read through it initially and was very impressed.My niece and I have used it in our lessons and found it invaluable.It provides a solid basis for someone new to German,but is not frightening or overpowering.As a committed linguist I am a firm believer in making the learning of a foreign language fun and so I unreservedly recommend this book.
on 5 March 2010
I loved that you can read the book and listen to the audio CD at the same time. However one of the german speaker you can hear very clearly and the second you can not hear at all. I can not beleive that the publishers released this book without retaking one of the voiceovers.
on 13 March 2001
A great place to start on the road to learning the German language. As Teachers, teaching Germans to speak English, we are well aware of the problems of motivation and of keeping the aim of the learning in sight. "German for Beginners" is able to solve both these problems by keeping the tasks fun, interesting and at the same time achieving its goal of learning the language.
on 23 April 2008
This is a very clear and precise start on the road to learning German. It is, however, orientated towards children. The CD is excellent and I would definately recommend it as a starter course.
on 19 February 2002
This book is fantastic for young and old alike.The text is very comprehensive with a cartoon to back up each little phrase. I love it and for those of us that learn through graphics this is the way to go. I hope there will be a sequel soon too.
on 15 September 2010
The text and pictures of this book are excellent. However the CD quality is poor. The English is audible, but bizarrely the German is very quiet and thus difficult to follow.
I had an impromptu trip to Austria recently and my schoolboy German was very poor.

I saw this German for beginners and it arrived 2 days after ordering.

I don't think this book and audio system claims to be any more than a beginners guide, and as such, it delivered admirably. I liked the cartoon style and with just a few hours I had enough for basic conversation in bars, hotels and at the airport. I know that when abroad, people do appreciate it when you make an effort ... and this system gave me the confidence to try ...
on 17 September 2010
Ok so this only touches on very basic grammar and vocab, but in that respect, it's excellent. A thoroughly good starter to the German language, for young or old.
on 28 July 2015
The whole point of learning a new language is to make it easy to hear. The man on the CD sounds muffled as if in the next room when he is saying the all important German translation.

Such a disappointment as otherwise good