5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant language book. Best ever method for beginners
Published on 13 Jan 2008 by Victoria J. Sanders

2.0 out of 5 stars German for Beginners
I loved that you can read the book and listen to the audio CD at the same time. However one of the german speaker you can hear very clearly and the second you can not hear at all. I can not beleive that the publishers released this book without retaking one of the voiceovers.
Published on 5 Mar 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant language book. Best ever method for beginners, 13 Jan 2008
This really is the best book for beginners and it's a such a fast and fun way to learn the language. It's also brilliant for intermediate students who just want to remind themselves of the basics. I have bought so many of these books for friends, and my private students (the French and Spanish versions too), and they have all found them very helpful and not too heavy going. Everyone learns better with pictures and the ones in the book are amusing and informative. There are so many other books to choose from but this one is by far the best for immediate self learning. Suitable for any age from 4 up to 84!! It really is. If you just want to learn a smattering of German then this is the book to buy. It will teach you so much in such a short space of time and you can prepare yourself to immerse yourself into the German culture and make good acquaintances right away. Always important to make a good impression in a country you are visiting, and to learn common courtesies :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to learn with a German-speaking tutor, 7 Feb 2009
Mrs. S. M. Wood (Wolverhampton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: German for Beginners with audio cd (Languages for Beginners S.) (Paperback)
My ten year old niece has just begun to learn German at school and since I speak the language (although not without my own mistakes -we all have something to learn) I am giving her private tuition. This is a wonderful book;it is not too demanding of the learner,but not too 'leicht' either. The book is colourful and fun and the accompanying CD is most useful.I read through it initially and was very impressed.My niece and I have used it in our lessons and found it invaluable.It provides a solid basis for someone new to German,but is not frightening or overpowering.As a committed linguist I am a firm believer in making the learning of a foreign language fun and so I unreservedly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great and encouraging book for young learners!, 13 Mar 2001
By A Customer
A great place to start on the road to learning the German language. As Teachers, teaching Germans to speak English, we are well aware of the problems of motivation and of keeping the aim of the learning in sight. "German for Beginners" is able to solve both these problems by keeping the tasks fun, interesting and at the same time achieving its goal of learning the language.

2.0 out of 5 stars German for Beginners, 5 Mar 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic method of teaching a language with great cartoons, 19 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This book is fantastic for young and old alike.The text is very comprehensive with a cartoon to back up each little phrase. I love it and for those of us that learn through graphics this is the way to go. I hope there will be a sequel soon too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great aid to some rapid learning, 15 Dec 2009
Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I had an impromptu trip to Austria recently and my schoolboy German was very poor.

I saw this German for beginners and it arrived 2 days after ordering.

I don't think this book and audio system claims to be any more than a beginners guide, and as such, it delivered admirably. I liked the cartoon style and with just a few hours I had enough for basic conversation in bars, hotels and at the airport. I know that when abroad, people do appreciate it when you make an effort ... and this system gave me the confidence to try ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but geared towards children, 23 April 2008
T. Irvine "T-bird" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is a very clear and precise start on the road to learning German. It is, however, orientated towards children. The CD is excellent and I would definately recommend it as a starter course.

3.0 out of 5 stars German for Beginners, 15 Sep 2010
C. C. Benn (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
The text and pictures of this book are excellent. However the CD quality is poor. The English is audible, but bizarrely the German is very quiet and thus difficult to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely set out., 17 Sep 2010
T. Blackburn (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok so this only touches on very basic grammar and vocab, but in that respect, it's excellent. A thoroughly good starter to the German language, for young or old.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good value for money, 5 Feb 2011
This does exactly what it says on the tin. It's German for beginners and covers the basics. The book is ok by itself, but you also get the audio CD which talks through the main points and has an hours worth of dialogue.

The cartoons imply it was probably aimed at children, but if you've never done German before it doesn't matter what the pictures look like! I also never had a problem with the volume of the native German speakers, rather, just that they occasionally say their lines quite fast.

For a few pounds more you can get much more comprehensive sets. This one is not good value for money.

German for Beginners with audio cd (Languages for Beginners S.)
German for Beginners with audio cd (Languages for Beginners S.) by John Shackell (Paperback - 31 Aug 2001)
9.59