on 5 May 2005
In general this is a good and useful book for discussing how various bits of the body work with your children. A little bit too complex for my 3 year old (probably more appropriate for a 5 year old) but we just missed out some of the more difficult bits & she really liked it. But . . . I can't believe that a book entitled 'How are babies made' doesn't explain how the sperm gets to the egg. Its such a major omission that it really spoiled the book for me. There's no need to be this coy, I would have thought that anyone buying a book with this title would have expected a proper explanation & pictures.
on 2 November 2000
This book is well up to the usual Usborne standard:enjoyable,educational and reaching kids through all learning channnels(VAK).My kids chuckled,gasped and "oo-ed" as the information was revealed in a down-to-earth and easily-understood fashion.The little on was fascinated by haw his insides dealt with food and the older one had her embarrassing questions about sex answered(without too much embarrassment from Mum!).They both said they knew everything about the five senses "coz we did it in school"...but were surprised and delighted by the under-the- flap stuff.The only problem was the unanswered question "Yes,but how does it get to the egg?"
on 28 April 2009
Excellent set of three flippy-flappy books for young children, written with skill and sensitivity.

"What happens to your food?" went down best, from the importance of choosing food to the inevitable messy outcome.

"How are babies made" went down well too, and enough was explained here without too much embarrassment to child or parent behind those flaps. Phew!

"How do your senses work?" was great fun - and explores touch, sight, sound, smell, and the other one in an amusing fashion.

A great set of books, heartily recommended.
on 4 June 2013
I was very disappointed in this book. We got it for our three year old son who asks a lot of questions and we thought he would be fascinated in the science of the body. The format is great and the illustrations and flaps are good... but for goodness sake..... a pretty essential pair of flaps are missing from the section about making babies!

I don't know if it's the author or the editor that's responsible, but someone is living in the wrong decade. There is no mention or illustration of female or male genitals, and no mention or illustration of sex. There is just a drawing of a sperm and an egg. To a child that is completely obscure and ridiculous.

This book was a birthday present for our son, which I'd have been loathe to hand him. It suggests that there is something wrong with these bits of our bodies, that they shouldn't be talked about and understood and that they are something to be ashamed of. Shame on you, Usborne for publishing it like this.

Thankfully my parents had kept my early 1980s copy of 'The Body Book' by Clare Rayner, bought for me when I was the same age. You can still find old copies on Amazon or elsewhere, and I suggest you go for this book instead. I read it so many times as a kid, and was fascinated by it. And it contains proper pictures of a penis 'standing to attention' (erect... I always had a good giggle at this) and a couple making love. I'd recommend other parents buy this other body book instead.

Children in the 1970s were being told the whole story. This book is a big leap backwards.
on 6 April 2016
I brought this book for my 6 year old son as he has started to ask a few questions, is wanting to know about the body and its parts. This book is excellent, perfect for his age, explains things appropriate to this age range, has great explanations, nice bright pictures with lift the flap pages which make it more interesting and fun to read. I even read it before I gave it him and found out things I didn't know! Great read and great price! Definitely recommended!
on 30 June 2014
I live quite a way from my daughter and grandson and a 7 year old asking where babies come from..... for once I am thankful I live far away oops x child friendly but when he read it, he still said 'it did not say how it happened' x So... a good book but needed an innocent explanation without spoiling a child's innocence xx
on 21 June 2015
My 3yo loves the stories about food and babies (not so much into senses yet, too small I guess). The book is nice (despite some outdated info in it - like the taste buds distribution on the tongue) and pictures are pleasant. I got the used version, it was in very good condition and costed nothing.
on 9 October 2015
Good book for explaining all about how the human body works. From babies to food it's all exp,aimed in an easy to understand way. I'd say it's aimed at ages 5-8 but that all depends on your child's personal maturity....some children handle information better than others.
on 16 January 2015
Superb. My two love this especially the bits about where babies come from. It does mention whence the baby emerges but doesn't say how the sperm is delivered to the egg
on 30 March 2013
A really well written book that has my five year old entranced. The quizzes at the end of each section are good fun for him.