on 3 September 2011
I haven't bought this book - my kids are 11 and 9 and I wanted something that would explain everything clearly, which it looks like this does. I am a big fan of Usborne. However, I did the Look Inside thing before buying and while I loved the beginning bit about growth, I then turned to the glossary and oo-er... Acne, yes, helpful. Adultery, well, I suppose it's in lots of books and films, so yes it's relevant. Anal sex... What?! I would like to think kids don't need to know about that surely?! Maybe it is handled in a very sensible way in the text, but frankly, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. Just a bit too far too soon, so I think I will wait a few years. Oh dear, what's the world coming to?!
2525 comments|347 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2000
I got this book for my daughter and it made her aware but comfortable about the facts of life. She felt open about talking about what she read and was ready to discuss topics mentioned in the book. Very child friendly without being frightening.
0Comment|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2012
very informative for my 12 year old son. Worth the money I spent. Ties in with school curriculum, so he is well prepared
on 11 July 2014
I nearly didn't buy this book after reading some of the reviews, however I'm glad I did as it is well written, concise and factual. I am happy for my 10 year old son to read t his alongside the PHSE puberty curriculum in school
on 27 January 2012
I've read the negative reviews with mounting horror at the naivete of some of the reviewers.
One line in 56 pages calmly and factually explains what anal intercourse is and suddenly this book is the antichrist! What do you think they are going to see the first time they get a peek at sex on the internet (and they will sooner or later, no matter how much protection you think you have put in place)? How do you think they should find out that anal sex exists?

Year 6 kids learn about sex and drugs at school as they need to know about it before they enter secondary school where they will be around older, more street-wise kids. Guess what the slang language older kids will be using around them mostly refers to? Even at this age they need to understand what a paedophile is, what rape is and what drugs are so that they can begin to make sense of the wider world. I've already been asked about all these things by my 10 year old (usually after he's listened to the news on the radio).

This is a very clear, unpatronising guide to a lot of important information and I wish to God I'd had something like this when I was 10 so I knew what the hell was going on with my body and not spent half so much time worried about stuff that turned out to be competely normal. If you aren't comfortable with certain bits then work around them, but don't judge it by comparison to inadequate information we had as kids, your own protective instincts or decades out of date view of what childhood is or should be.
11 comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2013
This book is quite basic and to the point and deals with the mechanics rather than the emotional side of growing up. As a father not living permanently with his daughter, it was useful to be able to at least start with the basics with my just turned 13 year old daughter, given this was not something her Mum wanted to do. We went through 8 pages a night together and it took us 7 nights to complete over a ten day period. I read the book whilst my teenage child listened and we paused after every two pages for questions to be asked and answered. You will need to follow this up with whatever blanks your child has after you go through this with him/her. Naturally most children actually do not understand that the changes going on in their bodies are primarily to prepare them for having children. The act of sex is very, very brief in this book and it needed more emphasis that this is the point whereupon pregnancy or disease can enter the equation. Overall a good start and I would recommend this book to responsible parents looking to introduce the topic of what growing up means and what the changes going through their bodies represent and a brief introduction to the opposite sex and their bodies.
on 20 October 2014
It's sad to see some of the prudish reviews of this book especially as many reviewed without buying. Abortion and anal sex are featured in the book which may be squeamish subjects for some children(and parents) to tackle but at least it's factual and handled in a sensitive way. Our children will hear about these things from peers. My daughter is 13 and no longer feels embarrassed when hearing these words from misinformed youths. A very good book for anyone trully wishing to educate their children.
on 29 September 2014
My daughter found these extremely helpful especially as she is at the age when she is learning this type of stuff at school. She even thanked me for buying her it as it explained a lot to her.
on 1 April 2016
A very well thought out book, that answers all the questions that a young teenager (or even 11 year old) could come up with and some I hadn't thought of. Explained and illustrated in a good way for children of 11 and upwards to follow and understand. A great way of dealing with those difficult questions "lets have a look and see what it says in your book". It will also help them when they get to high school, and start doing the facts of life.
I can't disagree with other reviewers that this book is very clearly written and well illustrated. But I don't think it's really suitable for a younger child. As it was supposed to be for 9 - 12 year olds, I got it for my daughter, who will be starting sex education classes soon, so she wouldn't be too startled by the subject and we could talk about it in a calm and reassuring way at home. However, I didn't find it as child friendly as expected. It uses terms they can understand and unlike other books of this kind I've come across in stores, doesn't encourage girls to present themselves as sex objects or to seek out sexual experiences. But it does go into unnecessary detail about the genitalia and reproduction. I wanted something that would explain, gently, the changes she is beginning to experience; instead she got a diagram of both male and female sexual organs. I'd say this is great for 12 - 15 year olds, but not for this younger age group.
33 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse