on 11 April 2000
I purchased this book when my children were all young. They thoroughly enjoyed, firstly experimenting with my help and then as they grew more responsible, using the book themselves. The instructions in the receipes are so much fun. I now intend buying further copies for my four daughters who are now moving into their own homes. Even at the grand old age of 50 I still enjoy these recipes.
on 24 February 2004
My Auntie bought me this book about 15 years ago now with the intention of it being a good starter cookbook that I could use.
It still sits on by kitchen bookshelf today, it's one of the best and most used books I've got. If you want a recipe, then you go there first, Cheese Soufle, Pancakes, Pizza, Biscuits, you name it, it's in there.
Great for planning parties, or even for just planning a simple (or more complicated) meal for the evening.
If I ever lost mine, I don't know what I would do, it's been the best present that anyone ever bought me!
on 2 May 2004
I have been the proud owner of this book for over 15 years since I was six or seven years old. One of the first things I learned to cook was the book's Eggy Bread! It is a fantastic enthusiastic book for children to learn basic skills. I still find myself going back to it from time to time for some old favourites!
on 20 October 2005
I was bought this cookbook when I was 6 and it is the reason my parents got (messy, burnt) eggybread for breakfast in bed every saturday for months! My brother, sister and I use this cookbook religiously, and having a brownie connoisseur in the family, am reliably informed that the brownie recipe in this cookbook is the best ever!
I have been using the recipes in the Usborne cookbooks for the last 20 years- and they are still as great as anything I have found in any other cookbooks!To top it all off, it only cost £3 in the first place! Definately recommended for adults and kids alike!
on 17 October 2008
Colourful paperback covers open to 72 high quality shiny pages, packed with clearly laid out recipes which are easy to follow for the younger generation.....or even an older novice!
All the recipes are for four people and have appealing, colourful illustrations with busy mini-chefs getting stuck in!
Some even have flags of the country of origin, to add to the education side!

The book commences with sections entitled:

* Before you start
* Things to remember (which includes safety advice)

and ends with:

* Handy hints
* Preparing vegetables
* Cooking things

along with a glossary.

Recipes vary from very easy to more complex.
Although there is no actual indication of level of challenge, it is easy for an adult to assess based on their own child's age and ability, in my opinion.

The very last page is an alphabetical index of recipes.

Each recipe is clearly laid out, with a list of ingredients, oven settings-if applicable, and a step-by-step method. Some recipes are over a 2-page spread, some have `Handy Tip' boxes and some include `helpful notes`, sometimes in speech bubble format, e.g.:

'Cheese soufflé
A soufflé looks impressive but is surprisingly easy to make.
Soufflé means 'puffed up' in French.
The soufflé puffs up and becomes lighter as it cooks because it contains whisked egg white, which has a lot of air in it.'

Other recipes include:

* Banana and honey whip
* Chocolate mousse
* Raisin flapjacks
* Iced spice biscuits

and winds up with one of my favourites:

'Special chocolate cake', and it is!
on 5 August 2005
I used to borrow this book from the library every week for about a year because I was obsessed by how beautiful the illustrations were, and how simple but effective the recipies are!
Even at 23 this book still has excellent and relevant recipies for every occasion.
on 29 November 2009
My mum LOST this book so I had to go on Ebay and buy another. The edition on Amazon has a new cover which just wouldn't do - it had to be exactly the same as the one I had as a child!

Such an excellent cookbook. Some of the recipes are quite complicated but the instructions are clear. The book states when children should get an adult to help them, but if a child is reasonably competent and sensible in the kitchen he or she should be able to do everything without adult help.

My brother and I used to make the iced spice biscuits and double the recipe, cutting out and cooking half and eating the rest of the dough raw! There are so many recipes in the book I haven't made, but I really enjoyed flicking through and reading the instructions, with the cute little pictures. The eggy bread and Welsh rarebit recipes were also favourites. I still haven't attempted souffle but when I do it will be this book I turn to. Because it's a children's cookbook the recipes have to be absolutely foolproof, and they are.
on 7 June 2010
I 1st bought one of these for my daughter when she was about 8 (over 15 years ago). This one and another like it, I've just bought for my son (22) and my grandson (2)and his dad. It has "real meal" recipes in, the BEST chocolate cake ever and every recipe has worked. My daughter's almost 26 and still uses her copy. It's exactly what it says it is - a first cookbook that manages to makes cooking fun.
on 24 June 2014
Got this for my son-in-law. He's a teacher and has just been given the job of teaching his young charges how to feed themselves if Mum isn't around.
on 2 April 2011
nice and easy to follow, just what i wanted, had a similar book when daughter was growing up shame i never kept it, this is a good subsitute.