Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 April 2005
I am twelve years old. When I got a keyboard, I wanted to learn how to play it. So I got this book and followed it page by page until I had finished it. Now I can play a lot of music. I don't think you will find a book much better than this one for learning how to play the piano or any keyboard instrument.
0Comment|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2012
I'm a piano teacher, and I've found that this book isn't suitable for younger children, as it gets complicated very quickly. The colourful pictures are a distraction and the book is cluttered with information. For older learners this book will be ok, but honestly I think there are better methods out there. In my opinion, the Pauline Hall books are the best and can be appreciated by everyone - even my adult pupils start with Pauline Hall! If you are thinking of getting a book for your child to begin learning on, I'd recommend "Tunes For Ten Fingers". The Pam Wedgwood books are very good too, especially for the older beginner. "It's Never Too Late To Play Piano" is another of my favourites.
33 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2009
Well laid out book. Starts simply for beginning and young people. Am trying it with my daughter who is 7 and she seems to be getting on ok with it. Seems to take children through at a realistic pace.
on 18 November 2008
I want to learn piano myself and so does my 8 year old so I bought a few books, but this has been the best by a long shot, even for my old age group. I did music in school, never piano though, and after two weeks I'm playing the likes of Strangers in the Night and Annie's Song - very slowly though, so I'm no genius.

Anyway, the book is engaging, facts are so well presented and absorbed easily, I don't know whether its the pictures of the little monsters or what, but it works. I have a full understanding of the notes, chords, how to read the music and how to use piano fingering. I do about an hour messing around each night and am improving daily. I initially read the book in bed and felt I had some knowledge but when I sat at the piano, it all just happened. I've read the book a few times now because it's short and sweet, my daughter loves it as well.

Basically if you buy this book you will get your value for money, you'll refer to for years and you could nearly teach your dog to play! Enjoy!!
on 26 January 2009
My children 4 and 2 got keyboards for xmass. I thought it was a shame that I could not teach them any tunes. I have never played any instrament or had any intrest in music. This book explained how to read music and play the piano step by step verry clearly with simple tunes to test you along the way. It also has interesting fact as well. I would recomend this book to any begineer, child or adult.
on 9 October 2012
I'm a piano teacher and a parent. As a parent I love osborne, as a teacher I hate them. The tunes are arranged in such a way that it makes fingering very tricky for beginners, not useful at all for technique. Avoid.
on 31 January 2011
This book is fantastic. My son wanted to learn the piano and rather than pay out for lessons he would give up in a few weeks I thought I would try this. It is brilliant, it is broken down enough for me to be able to explain things to him at a level he understands. It includes the length of notes, which notes to play with which hand and which finger and also explains how the same notes are written differently for treble and bass clef. Would reccomend for any child wishing to try out piano.
on 10 March 2011
This really is a fantastic starter for children. It introduces new ideas very clearly, and - best of all - sets exercises using really catchy tunes. I remember piano starters as being full of tunes no-one would ever actually want to play: but with this book everyone has wanted to join in. It is a great example of how you can teach complicated ideas very quickly if you make the process fun. Very highly recommended.
on 9 March 2013
Having bought a piano at the age of 63 I needed a simple tutor book to start to learn from, I feel a child will learn quicker than me, but I am finding it very easy to follow. A great book for beginners of all ages
on 1 February 2012
This book was easy to follow and considering it is written for young children anyone can learn from it really quickly. Covers the basics and I managed to work through it pretty swiftly. Good stuffs.