Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 June 2015
This book is a selection of short, encouraging phrases some of which are accompanied by simple illustrations/sketches. With one "comment" per page, this book is an easy and quick, yet inspirational read. Although written to boys there are MANY captions in this book that are suitable and applicable for EVERYONE! Why not try reading a phrase a day at the dinner table? You might be surprised what discussions arise from it!

A beautiful letter at the beginning tells his boys how much he, the author, cherishes them. Some of my favourite (I liked them all) phrases are as follows:

"Be faithful - any old slime can cheat!"
"Cheerfulness in adversity is a key character trait in the game of life."
"Nobility is not a birthright - how we act in the big moments defines who we are."
"Manners really matter; in fact they make the man." ( I LOVE the illustration that accompanies this one!)
"Spend more time with your family and less at work - no one on their deathbed says they wish they had spent more time in the office!"
"Thank God for your many blessings; then go out there and blossom. It is okay to succeed."

This is a Christian book so some of the "lessons" are scripture based. However many are not and all boys, Christian or not, could benefit from reading them if they want to grow up to be decent guys!
on 5 April 2014
I wasn't expecting what was written in this book as it was for my Grandson who loves the Bear Grylls stories however as I read through it, it felt wholesome and full of wise words. I think my Grandson will refer to this book for a long time as it is on his bookshelf with his other Bear Grylls books.
on 8 December 2012
My son is a Bear Grylls fan, he's a Cub scout and he loves watching Bear on TV, so when I saw this book I thought I'd buy it for my Son for CHristmas. It has arrived and I took a sneaky peek through it to see what it's like (Ok I read the whole book!) I thought it was a really lovely book. It is what it says it is, a collection of quotes, thoughts and scriptures that Bear wanted to pass on to his sons. I love it and I whole heartedly recommend it. I also recommend using the "look inside" feature to see what it is like.
on 25 April 2013
A wonderful book full of positive encouragement for young people and adults alike. Remember, It's not all bad out there!
on 22 July 2014
A very readable book enhanced by good drawings.
Very good advice. A few words and pictures say it all. It's up to the reader to meditate on each thought. An easy read to read often. Takes a few minutes but can be life changing
on 23 December 2015
Very nice but this is a gift not a book to read. Very Christian and spiritual words of wisdom so possibly not for the hard core adventure fan. Having said that it comes across that the danger and spiritual elements do go hand in hand to Bear Grylls and is therefore thought provoking!
on 16 December 2012
this is totally not what i was expecting... the book is filled with sayings. every page has a teaching and sometimes a picture. it's life teachings about morals and values, christian oriented but acceptable to all religions. i was expecting life teachings more about practical life and living in the wild. but it was a nice surprise i guess. very sweet book, and perfect for young teens.
on 8 September 2012
Note - you need to read the book description!

Love this book. I enjoy sitting down and reading it with my kids. And it's great that a celebrity is willing to pass on some moral wholesome words of advice, rather than the dribble we seem to be fed.
on 2 January 2016
My son loves Bear Grylls , I purchased this book as something to make him think about himself and the world around around him as the book covers some life lessons and how to deal with them. Its good to talk over some of the points made over dinner and I think the book provides some good moral fibre without ramming it down the child's throat.
on 7 September 2013
an amazing short little guide to life !

It has some passages from the Bible

I will re -read this book again and again and again

Review By Roo10.