Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 December 2013
Reading this brought home the dangers and daily expectation of being pushed in to no-mans land to retrieve, comfort, give first aid to those troops who had gone before and been shot, maimed, dismembered. To go over the top unarmed, to be shot at while bringing a comrade home. To sadrifice your life or be willing to to save someone elses. These are the unsung heroes of the RAMC. Memories written when the mind tiries to forget the horror of the Somme, Ypres and then to the italian front.
on 6 March 2014
I am very interested in the Great War I feel guilty saying this
but I felt there was not enough information or story after the first few chapters
Even though they were very brave men
on 29 June 2013
I chose this book as I am researching my family history and my great uncle was a stretcher bearer. It gives a real insight into what they went through and I recommend this book to anyone who is also researching the First World War.
on 4 March 2014
This book is OK, but not what I expected. It tells the life story of Charles Horton and includes his service as a stretcher bearer in the Great War but as a book about that War itself it is disappointing. The account of his war service is only about half to two thirds of the book and the rest is a biography of a survivor of that terrible time in our history.
on 18 September 2014
Not quite what I had hoped; lacking in detail and more of an advertisement for non combatant duties. Did I learn much from it? Sadly no but it does chronicle the life of Charles Horton RAMC
on 23 June 2014
This is supposed to be a diary of a stretcher bearer infact only about half is. The rest is written by Dale de Vac and I found some of his comments very patronising. All the stretcher bearer talks about is the places he went to very little about the soldiers he helped ...not explicit enough for my liking .
on 18 September 2014
this book was so good I felt so much for the writer
on 5 May 2014
A rare insight into another aspect of the first world war that often is forgotten. The distinction of regimental stretcher bearers and RAMC stretcher bearers is enlightening. A good book to have if you are interested in ww1.
on 13 July 2015
My mum's uncle was a stretcher bearer so I loved this book. The imagination runs away with you due to the graphic explanations of injuries.
on 26 January 2014
As my Grandfather was a regimental stretcher bearer I found this book very interesting, though I do realise that it was a little different for my Grandfather. I do get so see what life may have been like for him.