5.0 out of 5 stars Life of a stretcher bearer.
I chose this book as I am researching my family history and my great uncle was a stretcher bearer. It gives a real insight into what they went through and I recommend this book to anyone who is also researching the First World War.
Published 12 months ago by P Sutherland

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing
I am very interested in the Great War I feel guilty saying this
but I felt there was not enough information or story after the first few chapters
Even though they were very brave men
Published 4 months ago by Robert Hartwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Life of a stretcher bearer., 29 Jun 2013
P Sutherland (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stretcher Bearer! (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Over the top, unarmed, to do battle with the wounded, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Stretcher Bearer: Fighting for Life in the Trenches (Paperback)
Reading this brought home the dangers and daily expectation of being pushed in to no-mans land to retrieve, comfort, give first aid to those troops who had gone before and been shot, maimed, dismembered. To go over the top unarmed, to be shot at while bringing a comrade home. To sadrifice your life or be willing to to save someone elses. These are the unsung heroes of the RAMC. Memories written when the mind tiries to forget the horror of the Somme, Ypres and then to the italian front.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 6 Mar 2014
I am very interested in the Great War I feel guilty saying this
Even though they were very brave men

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 July 2014
Bought as a present, told of dangers they had to face

3.0 out of 5 stars Not explicit enough for me, 23 Jun 2014
This is supposed to be a diary of a stretcher bearer infact only about half is. The rest is written by Dale de Vac and I found some of his comments very patronising. All the stretcher bearer talks about is the places he went to very little about the soldiers he helped ...not explicit enough for my liking .

4.0 out of 5 stars strecher bearer, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stretcher Bearer! (Kindle Edition)
good book I enjoyed this book very much you don't realize what they done for their country these unsung herose

4.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening read., 5 May 2014
A rare insight into another aspect of the first world war that often is forgotten. The distinction of regimental stretcher bearers and RAMC stretcher bearers is enlightening. A good book to have if you are interested in ww1.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Stretcher Bearer! (Kindle Edition)
This book gives a valuable account of what it was lime to be a forefathers of the RAMC.

It would have improved with greater detail which would have allowed a clearer understanding of how hot really was.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Stretcher Bearer! (Kindle Edition)
This book is OK, but not what I expected. It tells the life story of Charles Horton and includes his service as a stretcher bearer in the Great War but as a book about that War itself it is disappointing. The account of his war service is only about half to two thirds of the book and the rest is a biography of a survivor of that terrible time in our history.

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting, 26 Jan 2014
As my Grandfather was a regimental stretcher bearer I found this book very interesting, though I do realise that it was a little different for my Grandfather. I do get so see what life may have been like for him.

Stretcher Bearer: Fighting for Life in the Trenches
Stretcher Bearer: Fighting for Life in the Trenches by Charles Horton (Paperback - 22 Mar 2013)
5.59