Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 September 2009
This book was written ny the author as though she was an actual friend and knew exactly how abused victims feel and what comforts and makes people feel better. She tends to relate to our emotions as though they stem back from childhood such as using cuddly "creatures" to comfort us when certain fears and emotions take over.

She makes the victim feel like they are not the only one and that what they feel is not unusual or abnormal and that they are not going insane like victims often do.

This is an inspiring read and gives strength to survivors who may otherwise feel alone and isolated.
on 4 March 2010
"This is the first book about Abuse that I read. Its the true story of a little girl not just abused as a child but as a baby too. A truly remarkable survivor she uses her story in a hope to help others survive. I experienced it all in a very similar way i.e. with a Mental block. It is very readable, to the point and covers many aspects of it all. And its for and from the survivors point of view. I after only reading 20 pages or so (that I got from a library first) went out and ordered a copy. Because I just had to have a copy of someone's experiences which include so many points as mine. And many of the same or similar conclusions I had already come to. I read this before I created the website."

This is the review I used for my website. I can not more highly recomend this book. I have not read a better book on Child Abuse or the issues, thats for sure.
on 22 December 2009
When I first started to read the book, I felt frightened. It brought up dormant feelings but I continued and found it to be very empathically written and it made me feel so much less isolated and alone. Someone understood.

In fact, it made me feel that I was doing okay in trying to break the chains.

It released a flood of tears but it was made better by the soft cuddly toy I bought from a charity shop at Sue Atkinson's suggestion. I wrote all my feelings down and I feel better.

I've just purchased paint and brushes and I plan to start painting as a therapy, also.

Anyone out there who feels they need help, I'd certainly recommend this book.
on 26 December 2012
I first discovered this book "Breaking the Chains of Abuse" in a library, and have since purchased 7 and distributed 6 copies. It serves two main purposes, the first to educate any general student on specialist aspects of understanding the viewpoints (ihibitions or other related behavioural aspects) of abused persons, and more importantly, by giving them a framework in non jargonised language, it potentially enables an abused person to initially approach and better understand their particular problem(s) and confidence aspects prior to any specialist counselling which this subject demands if the abused person is to effectively recognise and deal with problems. My experiencial advice: Forget, or step through, general counselling services, unfortunately some can do more harm than good by failing to understand the depth of psychology required to successfully address deep psyche problems. General relationship books also only point to futher reading references.
on 22 October 2015
Delivery speedy, product good very moving book