4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping novel about the great apostle, Paul., 17 July 2001
This review is from: Paul: A Novel (Paperback)
This is the story of the early Church, from the eyes of some of the people Paul was closest to (Barnabas, James, Timothy, Priscilla etc.) and others. It describes the way people of that time, especially the early Christians, lived. This novel is beautifully written, and really takes you into Roman world, with all it's political and religious frictions, but does so in a thoroughly gripping way. The only reason I have not given it 5 stars is that the person telling the story changes every few chapters, and I found that I had to keep looking back to see who was telling the story I was reading at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars A passionate and scholarly evocation of a great holy man., 6 May 2001
Sarah T. M. Bell (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paul: A Novel (Hardcover)
St. Paul is not a saint who immediately endears himself to women but the more his work is studied the more interesting he becomes as a person. I bought the book to see how the writer had managed to conjure up a three-dimensional man from the available material. Walter Wangerin has succeeded brilliantly, interweaving the stories from The Acts and the content of the Epistles with the historical background of the period. Paul leaps from the pages as a passionate, infuriating but loveable advocate of Christianity and as I progressed through the pages my heart sank when I realised I was more than half-way through the book. Having reached the end all I want to do now is to go back to the New Testament and re-read Paul's writings and the Acts of the Apostles.
I have no problem in rating this book a 5 star buy.
Sarah Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars bringing to life an amazing apostle, 12 Aug 2013
David Bull - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paul: A Novel (Paperback)
even if you are not a follower of Christ this author helps you get a "feel" for the famous people of scripture,history records them,the bible opens up their amazing works and you travel with them as if you are there. I found this book perfect for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story telling of a strong character, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Paul: A Novel (Paperback)
There are better books around but none that wrap it all into a novel, like this does. Language style can be off putting for some but I liked it.

Paul: A Novel
Paul: A Novel by Walter Wangerin (Paperback - 18 May 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01