Format: HardcoverChange

on 10 June 2010
The 2 previous reviewers got it exactly right. Who does this chap Scott Lucas think he is?

To find an American has muscled-in on the "Orwell biography business" is an irony that would not surprise George himself. It appears Scott Lucas makes a comfortable living cherry-picking received information about a man he cannot possibly relate to - as Orwell never had 2 farthings to rub together until the last 3 years of his life.

I may have been out of the country a long time but I still can't imagine why the English have permitted an American to assume the role of "Orwell seer". Did Birmingham University hire him on the mistaken belief "What knows he of England who only England knows"?

Having now lived 45 years in England and 30 in the USA I can categorically state only those born in England can appreciate and understand what the words "George Orwell" now represent.

If Mr. Lucas cannot comprehend George Orwell was the GREATEST PROPHET OF THE 20th CENTURY he should cease writing and talking about him and go back to his Orwell books and try very hard to transport himself back to that period and imagine just how tough Orwell had to be to survive financially - let alone write reams of the most lucid English prose ever committed to paper.

Should he continue to berate Orwell an axiom that's sustained me ever since I met "Big Brother" in the English Civil Service comes to mind. "Talent immediately recognizes genius but mediocrity recognizes nothing higher than itself"

UK Amazon readers may note I live in Las Vegas. I wish to assure them I'm not anti-American - only pro-Orwell.
review image review image
66 comments2 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2007
This book is badly written (the bits that are written by Lucas, anyway - mostly he seems to just cut and paste from newspapers and magazines)and sloppy. There is a good book waiting to be written about the liberal hawks and their bad judgement, but this is not it.
0Comment2 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2004
Overall, I found this book to be somewhat disappointing. I was expecting apolemic, written in anger, but I felt that the argument got too boggeddown in the detail, itself seemingly a compendium of recent newspaperarticles on US foreign policy, etc. There were also a couple of minormistakes in the book.
0Comment6 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse