5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and touching
Published on 26 May 2008 by Little spud

1.0 out of 5 stars a real let down
Published on 7 July 2010 by some kid

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and touching, 26 May 2008
This review is from: What the Birds See (Hardcover)
Having just finished this beautiful poignant novel, I had to remind myself it was aimed at young adults - it succeeds easily as adult fiction. Nine year old Adrian is lonely - rejected by his only friend he befriends the strange new children who have moved nearby. Ironically he is surrounded by the affection of those unable to demonstrate it - his young agrophobic uncle, whose attempts at consoling Adrian are so touching, is too damaged himself to ultimately be of help to the boy; his bad-tempered grandmother's love for the child too often masked. Hartnett makes you care for Adrian, and hope against all the evidence that things will turn out right for him. I couldn't put this book down and am relieved to find there are more by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars sad but mesmerising, 30 April 2008
This review is from: What the Birds See (Paperback)
This is one of the saddest children's books I have ever read. Poor Adrian is only nine but has already seen too much. Passed from one inadequate parent to another he ends up living with a grandmother incapable of showing him any affection. Every aspect of life is difficult for him; he is confused by signals people give off and yet highly perceptive of their motives. I'm not sure what age child would read this but I had to finish it in one sitting.

1.0 out of 5 stars a real let down, 7 July 2010
This review is from: What the Birds See (Paperback)
When I got this book I thought it was a horror or something because it mentioned so many fantasy and bazaar things on the back.I thought he would discover a monster or the location or some thing. As I read It soon left all relevance and started talking about his life. Near the end, with all mention of ,what the birds see, etc I thought it might finally reach some sort of supernatural solving of puzzle and.................... The main caricature and his best friend randomly drowned in a swimming pool and thats the end of the book. this left me baffled to what the hell the plot was supposed to be. So unless you are obsessed by fictional and irrelevant child phycology, DON'T BOTHER BUYING THIS BOOK!

What the Birds See
What the Birds See by Sonya Hartnett (Paperback - 6 Jan 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01