‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 20 Dec. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
This book is definate must read, I really did not want it to end! No Shame No Fear is a historical fiction, which is a love story, but also focuses on religion, the Quakers and Church goers, the rich and the poor. It's a story that makes you feel warm, when two people meet and genuinly fall in love which is forbidden because of social status, a story that fills you with horror and anger at what society in that time did to those who did not follow what the rich expected. this book has not had much publicity but will be a difinate reccommendation by word of mouth from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Shame, No Fear...An Excellent Read, 12 April 2006
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
No Shame, No Fear is about a 15 year old Quaker girl, Susanna, working as a servant, and a 17 year old rich, wool-merchant's son, Will, who's just finished school and whose father wishes him to take an apprenticeship in London. The story ties the two together, focusing on the ideas and lives of the Quakers in the Restoration, and the relationship between the two.

I highly recommend this book- not only for its beautiful writing, but for its obviously researched ideas and for its characters and story.

It is a "young adult," book. I recommend it for ages 14+ to fully appreciate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No shame, no fear, 8 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book it had me gripped from the start and i read it in one sitting! it is written from the different views of will (a rich 17-year-old) and Susanna (a 15-year-old quaker girl servant) it shows you how they fall in love almost from their first encounter. This book is beautifully written with wonderful suspense! it shows you the hardship the quakers went through. It is very informative and historically interesting and it's a romance which can be enjoyed by i think 13 year olds and above! i enjoyed this book and hope you will too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent historical romance for teens., 20 Jan. 2005
Rebecca Herman (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
England in 1662 is a country struggling with the aftermath of a civil war. Susanna is a fifteen-year-old Quaker girl who has left her country home to become a servant in the city. Seventeen-year-old Will, who comes from a wealthy family, has finished his studies and has now come to the same city as Susanna to begin his apprenticeship. When Will and Susanna meet, they fall in love. But they are of completely different social classes and religions, and there are many obstacles standing in their way. Meanwhile, persecution of the Quakers is increasing, and Susanna begins to fear for her safety and that of her friends and family. Can Will and Susanna find a way to be together, or will they be kept apart by the society they live in?
This book was a wonderful historical romance for teens. I particularly enjoyed reading about this historical setting, which the author brought to life in detail, because I have not read many books set in this time period. I truly enjoyed reading about Will and Susanna and their struggle to be together. I highly recommend this book to teen readers who enjoy historical fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally unputdownable!, 30 Nov. 2005
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
Manages to combine sensitive and informed insight into the struggles of the early Quakers with a totally gripping story which will suit all ages and both sexes.I loved it, my daughter loved it - in fact, it was a real battle to get it back off a friend we lent it to on a boring train journey so she could carry on with it! And he's a middle-aged bloke who claims he never reads! We can't wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! really thought provoking, 9 Aug. 2005
bella670 (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Hardcover)
when i first started the book, i wasnt very impressed. but soon the characters were so lovable and engrossing that i really cared what happened to them. this novel reaches you in a way that is so sincere and incredibly touching that it leaves you crying out for more! definitely worthy reading, no matter what your taste!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be able to put this book down!, 14 Jan. 2004
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
I read this book in a whole night. I just couldn't put it down. It really focused on the reality of what happened around those days and what is still happening in our society today, though on not such a big measure. If you love historic books and also romance then you'll love this book! You must read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An ethralling read!, 30 Jan. 2008
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
This was a lovely book to read - exceptionally well-written with a lot of deep description. It was enthralling from the outset, and a genuine interest in these people was taken from the first page. The writing is not clumsy and flows with a simpleness that is so easy to follow. As with other novels for 'young adults' I have read; I am still somewhat puzzled as to why they are put into this category, since these types of books are a joy to read at any age, and surely sales must be reduced because of it!?

I knew as soon as I started to read this book that it was destined to be good - apart from all the glowing reviews on Amazon that clearly spoke volumes from other readers that sang its praises.

The novel is a good quality edition, published on good quality paper with print that is easy on the eye, and so is a joy to read in all ways!

I found the title somewhat ironic, since the story is so full of shame and fear (perhaps the author intended this) but for reasons that should not have been, and so I also found this to be a lesson in both the power of faith and strength with plenty of endurance. Indeed, this would be an educating read for anyone who knows little, if anything of Quakers.

I do not normally lean to 'sequels', but I will most certainly be purchasing the sequel to this! After finishing this book, I simply could not leave Will and Susanna to the wonders of speculation...

Good on you Ann!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent- it had me completely hooked!, 29 Oct. 2010
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
What I loved most about this book was the way that each chapter was told from an alternating view point so that you got to know each of the characters of Will and Susannah really well and gave me a deeper understanding of the rift between their social standing and what ill would be giving up to follow his heart for Susannah. The plain yet language was what made the book so beautiful and it included the Quaker 'thee' and 'though' at some times made the story seem very authentic.
I could definitely tell that the author must have put a lot of research into writing the book, for I learnt a lot about the manners, dress, food, apprenticeships, households (such as laundering) prison systems and law of the time. The detail of the Quakers, who called themselves Friends was very fascinating and I loved reading about their story of faith though suffering and persecution from Parliament through the eyes of two young people in love. There is no need to worry about the theme of faith and religion making the writing seem 'preachy' for it is not like that at all.

I thought that the character of Susannah was right for the plot and the fact that she was a young Quaker. She was very innocent and has many questions about her faith but is strong inside and brave when it comes to the things that she cares about. However, although I liked her, I think that she could have been given more of a distinct personality.
Will is the character who undergoes the most change in the book after meeting Susannah and getting involved with the Quakers. I got the feeling that although it is hard for him to decide whether to defy his family and society to turn his back on everything he has ever known, he never really fitted into it that well in the first place. He has a lot of courage and is very caring but I must admit that pondering on it, some of the life changes that he chose to make and the changes in him were quite quick.

Anne Turnball definitely got me involved with with story without unrealistic excitement and twists happening in the story all the time but through compelling descriptions and human emotions and suffering.

No Shame, No Fear, had me rooting for the love of William and Susannah and sympathising with the Quakers and their battle with faith in a combination which kept me hooked. I would highly reccomend this book and its sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite, 12 Aug. 2012
ML Jensen (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Shame, No Fear (Paperback)
No Shame, No Fear is one of my all time favourite books and I can't believe I've never reviewed it here. I've read it three times and love it just as much with each new read. I get swept away into the world of the Quakers and can't put it down once I've started.
The adventures of Will and Susanna are engrossing and captivating. They struggle against persecution from both family and state in their struggle to follow their faith and they both grow and learn so much about themselves and each other. It is a beautiful love story, wonderfully researched and written.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

No Shame, No Fear
No Shame, No Fear by Ann Turnbull (Paperback - 3 Nov. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01