5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from one of the all-time best children's writers
I was looking through the shelves of the local bookstore for something for my almost-6-year-old son. There are loads of books with titles like "Funny Stories for 6 Year Olds" which just aren't funny - it's like they are trying far too hard to appeal to a specific target market and the stories are dull and lacking imagination.
Fortunately, I found this wonderful book...
Published on 3 Jun. 2004 by smutchin

3.0 out of 5 stars Review contains Spoilers... And so does the book...
After reading the reviews I expected a lot more from this book.
Although it kept my sons attention throughout, at no point did he laugh or make any comment about it being funny.
It was by no means the worst book we've read together, but he certainly was indifferent about it.

SPOILER ALERT!
Also if you don't want awkward questions from your child...
Published on 16 Nov. 2009 by VodkaWhiteNoise

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gem from one of the all-time best children's writers, 3 Jun. 2004
This review is from: The Man Who Wore All His Clothes (Paperback)
Fortunately, I found this wonderful book instead. Alan Ahlberg is a favourite from my own childhood and it's great to see that he's still turning out great books for children - in fact, he seems to be at the peak of his form as an author. I just wish he'd written this one when I was 6!
It's quirky but not self-consciously so, and pitched at just the right level for a 6-yr-old's reading abilities without being patronising or "talking down" to the reader. And it is very, very funny - it has had my son in stitches.
The pictures are great too. It was sad when Janet Ahlberg died a few years ago and her distinctive style of illustration is much missed, but fortunately Katherine McEwen has her own equally delightful style and adds another level of humour to the story.
Never mind "Funny Stories for 6 Year Olds" - if you want to encourage your children to read, introduce them to Alan Ahlberg. You won't be able to prise the book out of their hands!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new favourite, 23 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Man Who Wore All His Clothes (Paperback)
I have just read this with my 6 yr old and we both loved the book. The plot is quite simple but brilliantly written and perfect to share with new readers as the language is not too advanced. My son was thrilled to share this book and loved being involved in the humour, although, as it appeals at all levels I had to explain why I was laughing so much at some of the text.There are lots of speaking inanimate objects ( the car radio being our favourite!)which are very clever . In short a classic - every home should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BOOK FOR KIDS, 24 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The Man Who Wore All His Clothes (Paperback)
I am nine but I have problems with reading so I think this book is good for me because the words weren't so hard .yet the story was very funny and interesting so it wasn't boring unlike other books I can read . I like the bit where Mr Gaskitt sits on the robber while eating pizza.I think you should read it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that is exactly what children want to read, 12 Mar. 2007
Two Sheep (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is without doubt a great book. It is funny without being "try hard", it has simple language suitable for the age group it is aiming at. This is a book that a child will read for pleasure not because they have to for homework or because they were told to.

A great book, I would recommend putting it in the car so it can be looked at during longer journeys (as long as reading in the car doesn't make your child car sick of course!).

5.0 out of 5 stars A great kids book that adults will enjoy., 8 Jun. 2002
By A Customer
This is the first introduction to the Gaskitt family, Mr, Mrs, Gus, Gloria & Horace the cat. The story is fast paced but young readers will find it easy to follow. The illustartions add to the humour of this great read. Both my daughter and I enjoy this book and are looking forward to reading the next installment, The Woman Who Won Things.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review contains Spoilers... And so does the book..., 16 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Man Who Wore All His Clothes (Paperback)
After reading the reviews I expected a lot more from this book.

SPOILER ALERT!
Also if you don't want awkward questions from your child about why someone (ie Mr Gaskill) has a job which involves dressing up as Santa Clause and sitting kids on his knee, I would avoid this book.

"Is he the real Santa Clause, Dad?"
"Er... no."
"Why is he pretending to be Santa then?"
"Well... erm... night-night son."

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Man Who Wore All His Clothes (Paperback)
We love this story . Great descriptions, lovely illustrations and lots to think about. Long enough to keep my 6 year old enthralled.

2.0 out of 5 stars Significant creases on the front cover., 23 Jun. 2013
Mrs. P. M. A. Walker (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man Who Wore All His Clothes (Paperback)
I have reviewed this product before and am unclear why I am being asked to do so again. This item was described as being in very good condition but arrived with significant creases to its front cover and flyleaf, with the cover partially detached from the spine of the book at the front. I will not knowingly purchase from this company, or review this product, again.

The Man Who Wore All His Clothes
The Man Who Wore All His Clothes by Allan Ahlberg (Paperback - 8 April 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01