Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2005
My son is 4 his dad left very suddenly and he has found it hard to cope with having two homes, he only thinks of one as his and the other as 'number 6' at the moment, but went through a time thinking he did not have one home let alone two, he called them '6' and '23'. This book should help your child to think of both of them as homes I only wish I had had it sooner. Another book that was excellent and that I would highly recommend was 'It's not your fault, Koko bear' by Vicki Lansky
on 6 March 2009
Great book to explain to younger children what will happen when Mum and Dad decide not to live together any more. My son found it very reassuring. Very simple language, perfect for the younger ones - I struggled to find something for the right age range in my local bookstore.
on 7 March 2009
My son's father and I split up before he was born and I discovered this book when he was about 2. He is now 6 and still likes to go back to this book and read it himself now as I think he finds it reassuring. I have recommended this book to so may families at the preschool I work at and often read it to all of the children, as so may families live apart these days there are so many of my kids that can identify with the story. It is so child centered, simple and positive
on 17 March 2012
My son, who is 5, is probably too old for this book, which is a very simple story for younger children. He refused to read it anyway, because of the "freaky kid" on the front. In fact, he asked me to put it somewhere he would never see it again because it scared him. I can see that for some kids the drawing of the child might be a bit frightening, and it wasn't my cup of tea, although I liked the story.
on 24 September 2011
I bought this for my 3 year old son. His father and I split up when he was a baby but I wanted to reassure him that his situation was 'OK' as very few of his friends have parents who don't live together. We read it 3 times the day we got it and he has asked for it every day since. He says he is 'same as Alex!' and now seems to understand that he has 2 homes too. I would say that I don't like that it says 'Here' and 'There' (here for Daddy's, there for 'Mommy's') but I just change it and say 'here' for both houses. The illustrations are really great too. There's lots to talk about. I'd definitely recommend this book.
on 17 December 2003
I bought this book for my three year old son when his father and I split up over a year ago. He absolutely loved it and still sometimes asks me to read it to him even though he is now nearly five. It is set out very simply with lovely drawings. It is written from the viewpoint of a little boy called Alex, and he takes the reader through both his homes - his bedroom at daddy's house and his bedroom at mummy's house and so on - at the end it finishes by saying that whichever home he is in, his mummy and daddy love him very much.
It is very simple, but an effective way for helping children to deal with the difficult situation of having two homes. It provides a character and situation with which the child can identify and I think that is why my son likes it so much.
on 29 January 2009
I bought this book to help my 5 year old daughter see that she is not the only one who has two homes and I think it has really helped. She has already mastered reading it on her own and really enjoys it.

A great little story for anyone in the same position.
on 17 June 2011
I started looking around for books about separated families because my daughter is coming up for two and i know she will start to question things soon. This is a really good one about Alex who has two of everything. I bought a copy for her dad and im going to buy another copy for myself. I think this will defo help her understand things a bit more as she gets older. Would recommend this book to single parents who are looking for the same thing as me.
on 24 July 2014
Bought this for my 3 and 6 year old boys as they (and their baby brother) spend half the week with me and half with my ex partner. The boys loved to look at similarities in the character's 2 homes, to their own 2 homes. The text is simple so easily understood by my 3 year old, and easily read by my 6 year old. A great book to start a bit of discussion about their lives now, and puts across the fact that they are always loved by both their parents
on 27 July 2013
This book is a wonderful example of how less is more when explaining complicated issues to children. We both have a copy at our respective homes and it has been incredibly helpful for our 3.5 year old in making sense of the big changes happening in our home lives at the moment. A gift from grandparents which has become a firm favorite and a must for any child under 6 whose parents are living apart or in the process of separation. Just lovely.