VINE VOICEon 16 October 2010
Joshua Cope is a very ordinary 11 year old boy, not particulary talented, unlike his best friend Baz who is an amazing drummer. He has a dysfunctional but not particularly so family, he lives with his mother Mo and her partner and visits his father at the weekends. His older sister is mildly annoying, as is her boyfriend who is always asking to see Joshua's collection. Which is where what Joshua considers his own talent comes in, he's a good thief. Late at night the phone rings, but none of the others in the house wakes and eventually he answers. A strange man on the phone, he hangs up, but the calls keep coming and so begins an amazing tale of dream worlds, lost twins, broken families and high adventure rooted in the emotional landscape of four young children. Absolutely brilliant.
on 4 April 2005
Joshua Cope is an 11 year old boy who is a bit of a dreamer. One day he is sent on a journey by Gippart, a massive trading company, into the dream time to find the bird loving tribe, the Tembe. Accompanied by the funny and pretty Teresa, his best freind Baz the drummer , his wicked twin sister Jericho and their gaurdian Lucide they embark on a dangerous journey into the unknown. They are threatened by a Siparti tribe and many other things . This book is amazing and I could not put it down for a moment.If you like fantasy , adventure and a good book , READ THIS ONE. I would reccomend it for readers aged 10 and upwards.
on 16 April 2006
having read a series of adult novels i felt in dire need of a good dose of fantasy. the dream merchant provided just that. the story of josh wandering through the dream world with his friends theresa and baz is completely original and unputdownable!!! i would recommend it to anyone who likes books such as the wind on fire trilogy and his dark materials trilogy.
on 9 October 2009
This book starts as an entertaining page turner, but it gets tedious. It is frankly too long for the subject matter. It is imaginative, sometimes novel, and the characters are well thought through, but as a children's book, I have to wonder how many of its intended audience will turn the 637th (reasonably cramped) page.
on 15 June 2005
As soon as I saw this book I just had to buy it. It looks amazing. I'm 19 years old and was quite sick of reading serious books all the time. So I gave this one a go and it is quite simply the best book I have ever read. I couldn't put it down. The characters are great and the whole story is so imaginative. I really hope there are more books out there like this one.
on 6 July 2008
This book is definitely in my top 5 ever. The concept is mind-blowing but once you've got your head around it, The Dream Merchant becomes a sublime read. I cannot recommend this book highly enough and I sincerely hope that Hoving continues writing because I will gladly read anything she does.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2007
I really enjoyed this book, although I agree it would be very heavy for young children. As a working adult it took me a while to read it and I occasionally had to go back to remember which place the children had last been in as there was a lot of detail. However, it was certainly very unusual and a brilliant idea - I am sure you will never have read anything like this before! Thoroughly recommended if you enjoy fantasy and want to read something you can totally lose yourself in.
on 23 January 2006
This novel seemed undecided on its reader - parts were obviously pitched at younger children, with over simple diction and structure, whilst other parts were long and complicated with language and themes unsuitable for a child younger than 13. (There is a theme running through the novel that condones and excuses stealing) The plot has great potential but struggles often. Peripheral characters seem superfluous; the panther and Lucide are powerless chaperones. There seems to be too much book for the action. Too many words for the story.
0Comment6 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse