Hug

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars from a tiny reviewer
Published on 10 Jan. 2005 by HollowSpy

2.0 out of 5 stars But great illustrations.
I didn't realise it only had one word throughout the whole book (probably my fault for not reading the reviews properly). I would prefer more vocabulary. But great illustrations.
Published 10 months ago by T. Walshe

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars from a tiny reviewer, 10 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
I first saw this book a few months back and thought it looked good, but lacked imagination. How wrong could I be? Seeing it again I decided to buy it for my 15 month old daughter who now delights in shouting out Bobo (the main character) whenever the book is seen. The story is simple, extremely touching, and has some excellent illustrations that convey genuine emotions throughout. She already has a collection of over 30 books, but this by far her favourite, Spot the Dog and Elmer are feeling neglected in comparison. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to buy a gift for a baby/toddler as they will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous book open to individual interpretation, 30 April 2008
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
A wonderful book which relies on pictures and just one word "hug" to tell the story - the reader can fill in the rest and make it different every time. It also gives the opportunity to let the story develop with the listener as they grow. Deceptively simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLICITY AT ITS BEST, 23 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Hug (Hardcover)
This book will melt your heart and delight your children. Through wonderfully expressive illustrations Jez Alborough has given Bobo's word "HUG!" a hundred different meanings. This rings true with anyone whose little'un is steadfastly sticking to a one-word vocabulary!
If you like beautiful pictures, children, and hugs, get this book and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Sharp and Full of Emotion, 17 Dec. 2009
Erin (Cork, IRE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
Who would have thought that a book that principally uses just one word - "Hug" - would be so warm and heartfelt?
It is helped by the bright and colourful pictures of all the animals which then follow you through each page from when you first meet them - which leads to a lot of happy pointing!

The story is simple and the words even simpler but the pictures allow you to tell slightly different stories each time.
The emotions - both sad and happy - are truly heartfelt and, I believe, the page when Bobo meets his Mummy was primarily responsible for changing my son's "Mama" to "Mummy"!

My 17 month old son loves this and, just last night, we read it at least 4 or 5 times.

I would also recommend getting the board version of this book as he loves turning the pages himself and doubt a normal book would have stood up to the abuse.

And, who wouldn't love a book that gives you a chance to hug your child at the end!!!?

5.0 out of 5 stars A do it yourself story for even the very young, 2 Dec. 2009
S. Coakley-Evans (Spain) - See all my reviews
When my first grandson was born this book became part of his bedtime quiet routine and would be read to him just before he was put down even when he was tiny. Few words so the story can change with the age and understanding of the child. I loved the introduction of support, family and belonging that is at its heart. This set was for our new grandson and like his cousin will be part of his early security. With recycling and reducing wastage in mind I cut out the lovely pictures reproduced from the story which form part of the box, made a plastic case from the clear box top and put the pictures in the case for the time when we can use them as a matching game - match the picture to the page to encourage growing awareness and observation skills. This will add another dimension to a lovely gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any childs library, 24 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
My husband bought this for our two year old and she is in love with it. I love reading it to her too. The pictures and contents are so well done and a pleasure for any age to read. Highly recommend it for any age - a new classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book for babies and toddlers, 3 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Hug (Paperback)
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations and just one (well okay, three, and one is the chimp's name) word throughout. My fifteen month old adores it, although he does get sad at a point half way through the book (you'll know what point I mean when you read the book) but he gets so excited at the end! Absolutely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars HUG HUG HUG!, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
It is just one of the simplest and the sweetest book ever. It is about Bobo Monkey who wants the hug and finally gets is from...his mum! :) I understand people are different but I would love to meet those who found this book boring and waste of money? In what sense? In buying a book with 1 word which has the one of the nicest meaning in the world? This book is just perfect! Hug!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids like it more than parents, I think!, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
The little monkey in this book sees lots of other animals hugging and realises he needs a hug from his Mummy but can't find her. The elephant kindly helps him find Mummy and they have a HUGE hug at the end (sorry if that's a plot-spoiler for you!). I thought this was a sweet book about the importance of a hug with the person you love most (and for most very young children, that'll be Mum).

I enjoyed reading it to my little boy and he responded really well to it - it seemed to kick-off talks about feelings, which was great, and we also talked about the different animals. My husband HATED this book with a passion - he just didn't like the very (very!) limited text and found the whole book too schmaltzy and really hard to read in any kind of meaningful way.

Given it's an inexpensive book and is short to read, I'd suggest giving it a try and seeing if it works for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hug (Board book)
Bought for an 18-month old, this book is just beautiful. HUG is just about the only word in the book, but it can be said in so many ways and almost made me cry. Daughter (6 yrs now) still loves it.

Hug
Hug by Jez Alborough (Paperback - 5 Aug. 2002)