5.0 out of 5 stars Second Star To The Right
Published on 22 May 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful condition.
This book was in awful condition. The spine was broken, several of the pages were torn and there were pen marks on some of the pages. I wouldn't have minded if it was for my own use, but as it was a present, it was awful.
Published 9 months ago by Emily-Mae

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Star To The Right, 22 May 2003
This review is from: Second Star to the Right (Paperback)
Deborah Hautzig opened her heart and poured it onto the page offering a gripping and very personal account of her journey though anorexia. It gives an interesting insight into the treatment methods she experienced. This book isn't written to give you recovery tips, although I feel as though I now have a better understanding of the illness and how very easily eating disorders can be triggered. Children are very vulnerable - they take everything to heart. This book will show you the repercussions.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, And An Easy Read, 2 Aug 2006
This review is from: Second Star to the Right (Paperback)
This is a short story as it took me within two days to read and i'm a slow reader! so if you are looking for a bigger novel this probably won't saticfy you, however the acctual story was amazing! i too have,and still am suffering with a ED and everything that Leslie felt i've felt too. It was very touching and makes me greatful that i am slowly recovering! i would definatly recomend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me, 18 April 2002
This review is from: Second Star to the Right (Paperback)
I bought this book years ago when I was suffering from anorexia nervosa. It helped me to understand what was really going on in my head. I'm not completely healthy now, but every now and then I'll read Second Star to the Right and it helps me.
Everyone should read this book to try to understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is sooooo good i didn't want to put it down!, 15 Feb 2000
By A Customer
i really enjoyed this book it's about a 14 year old girl, leslie who has got it into her head that she is fat and she starts this diet, she thought that when she was thin she would know because everything in her life would be absolutly perfect. unfortunatly once she starts she can't stop it soon develops into anorexia nervosa, a disease which mainly affects girls from the age of 13 to 25. i really enjoyed this book and i read it all the time, i think it must be one of my all time favourites!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly powerful, 30 July 2010
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This is such a brilliant, heart breaking but wonderful novel! I have no idea how I can possibly do this book justice with this review.

The book starts off a little slow. Leslie has started a new school, she makes a friend, and we see she has some issues with her mother. The issues run all the way through, but I must admit that I don't fully understand what her problems with her mother are. Sometimes she seems to love her desperately, and other times she wants to shout at her mother, but I can't see myself what her mum has done wrong, even though the novel is in first person. This may just be me, maybe it would be clearer to others. But the issues that she has she goes through in her internal monologue, and it's just heart breaking to see her chop and change so quickly from desperately loving her mother, to blaming her with such fury.

It's also heart breaking to read about Leslie developing anorexia. It starts with stomach flu. She loses a few pounds, and her jeans aren't as tight, so she decides to go on a "diet" - that involves eating hardly anything. Everyone compliments her as she loses weight, so she loses more and more. Though she doesn't know it at the time, the anorexia is the little dictator in her head, berating her over how greedy she is, telling her she's fat, but she's strong, and she can go without. The little dictator is merciless.

It gets to the point where how much food she's not eating, how much she weighs is all Leslie thinks about - until she can't make it to the bus stop to get to school because she is just so weak and tired. Reading it all made me feel so empty, like I was the one who hadn't eaten. I can't explain it, but I was just so effected by this story. She ended up wanting help, but it seemed like she didn't know exactly what help she wanted. When hospitalised, she wouldn't eat right and had no desire to put on weight, but she was desperate to be helped. It was just so hard to read. And every time I read Leslie saying "I'll know when I'm thin enough because I'll be happy", it was just so upsetting.

What also made this book extremely powerful was the fact that it was semi-autobiographical. Deborah Hautzig was suffering from anorexia, not yet cured, when this book was originally released. She was experiencing it as she wrote it. It's just so, so sad. This is the one book I have read for this month where there is no resolution. Does Leslie get better? We don't know. But she's getting help - and that's the point where Hautzig was at when she wrote the book.

This is a brilliantly powerful and poignant book that just took my breath away. It's just brilliant, and one I think everyone should read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Second Star to the Right, 24 Jun 2010
Ms. K. James (England) - See all my reviews
I did enjoy this book, but was almost put off by the slow start. The first 70/80 pages are interesting but not really linked to the featured subject of the book. However, i proceeded, and found the last two thirds very insightful, and definitely worth reading. The book highlights how quickly weight loss can become an obsession, and anorexia can affect the people you least think to succumb to this illness

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 22 Jun 2014
Inside the cover of the book it states that it is a library book and should not be sold, and is property of the library, I would have been very happy with this product if it wasn't coated in a plastic layer(like library books are) it makes it look tacky and makes it obviously not an original copy of the book, disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful condition., 9 Mar 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure how I found this book, 18 Dec 2012
It made for an interesting read, it was factual and there were some connections developing between myself (the reader) and the main character towards the end of the book, however I found the book to be a little disconnected from my life because of the generation gap between my childhood and the author's.

I didn't find the book to be triggering, just educational and factual- I think this would be a great book if you want to understand anorexia a little more.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't feel the same again, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: Second Star to the Right (Paperback)
Short but well written, this book gives an interesting portrayal into the world of teens with eating disorders. It shows anorexia nervosa for what it really is - a life threatening mental disease and not the spoilt cry of an attention seeking teenager. This has the capability to change your viewpoint and perceptions throughout.
the start of the book is fairly slow, showing Leslie in her day to day life and mentions often best friend Cavette. However in the middle this changes dramatically and the rest of the book is fairly fast paced.
It never tells you if Leslie recovered, instead giving a kind of epilogue about the writer herself and the recovery she went through. this is different but leaving Leslie's 14 year old self feels a little unsatisfying and i would also have liked to know the end of her, admittedly fictional, story.

Second Star to the Right
Second Star to the Right by Deborah Hautzig (Paperback - 6 Aug 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01