5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful reminder of many a forgotten childhood
Beautifully presented and wonderfully illustrated, I Saw Esau is packed full of rhymes, songs and chants that have been handed down through generations of children the world over. The memories will come flooding back as long forgotten hand clap games blow the cobwebs off long forgotten playground experiences.
The illustrations accompanying the verses complement the...
Published on 15 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Warning
Published on 29 Sep 2008 by Michelle Laurie

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful reminder of many a forgotten childhood, 15 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: I Saw Esau (Paperback)
The illustrations accompanying the verses complement the text perfectly, making a delightful book for young and old alike and, although little insight is given into the origins of the rhymes, to have included them would have missed the point of the book. This particular volume is for reading, not analysing, and read it you certainly should.
A fantastic gift for any child, or any adult who once was one!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Warning, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: I Saw Esau (Paperback)
I agree with the above review, but I would like to offer a warning about this volume. There is some nudity in some of the illustrations (nothing unusual for Maurice Sendak). The book also has sections for rhymes of insult and some of them are a bit harsh, and a few were slightly 'adult' in nature and, I felt, inappropriate. I got this book from the library and read much of it to my 4-year-old, but it's not something I'd give to him to look through and read on his own. Otherwise, this is a fantastic volume.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 8 April 2014
Marwa (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Saw Esau (Paperback)
this book is really cute with some amazing pictures! the rhymes are also great. The condition of the book was good enough with a little bending/damage in the corner

5.0 out of 5 stars Marriage made in heaven (where artist Sendak and ethnographer Opies surely reside), 23 Oct 2013
Simon Barrett "Il penseroso" (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Saw Esau (Hardcover)
Goes where other books of nursery rhymes fear to tread. Even has one of those comic alphabets ('Ay for 'orses &c) beloved of our youth (we took their pleasures simply in those days) originated by a forgotten Nineteen Thirties music hall act - but with a little Sendak cameo for every letter the right child is going to treasure this. Now reissued by the enterprising Candlewick Press of Maryland (wake up, Walker!)

A minute later:- whoops! Candlewick are part of the Walker 'empire' - THANKS Google!

I Saw Esau
I Saw Esau by Iona Opie (Paperback - 4 Sep 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01