5.0 out of 5 stars Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
This story is about three owls and they wake up one night and their Mum went hunting for their food. They thought their Mum was gone so they went outside and waited on a branch. They were upset.
I liked this story because some parts were funny like when they jumped up and down on the branch when their Mum came back.
I would recommend this story to people who...
Published on 18 Jun 2002 by L.Wall

2.0 out of 5 stars This story scares my little boy
First let me start off by saying that I think this is a really lovely story - really it is. But it's hardly about what I think, it's about what my 3 year old son thinks ...

Published on 1 Mar 2011 by Mrs. Y. De Klerk

5.0 out of 5 stars Owl Babies by Martin Waddell, 18 Jun 2002
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
I would recommend this story to people who are under five years old because they would like the pictures because some of the pictures are funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely beautiful..., 13 Mar 2008
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
'Owl Babies' tells the simple but wonderfully-illustrated tale of three little owls who wake to find their mother missing. During their eager wait for her return, they consider where she might be...except for Fred, the tiniest of the three, who is so upset he just keeps saying 'I want my mummy!'.

Though necessarily simple given the age of its target audience, this would be an immensely reassuring story to read to any child having to spend a little time away from his or her parents, or perhaps one who dislikes sleeping in a room alone. The element of repetition in little Fred's dialogue lends itself to 'playing along' and the illustrations really are outstanding.

I came across this beautiful book whilst waiting in a doctor's office, and I'm so glad I did - I'll certainly be buying a copy for my own child when s/he is born.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of themes, longlasting favourite!, 9 May 2001
A. Dines "kidz-books" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell is a lovely book for very young children. The story is about three baby owls, Sarah, Percy and Bill, who wake up in the middle of the night and find their mother is gone.
The book has a lovely rhythm to it, although it is not written in poetry form. It's more like a song, with a few gentle rhythmical lines, then one which cuts the rhythm and draws the child's attention, which is excellent for young heads and short attention spans. There are also a few rhymes thrown in which get caught up in the rhythm, and one particular rhyming couplet which is repeated throughout:
"The little owls thought -All owls think a lot"
Which is something for children to hang onto throughout the story. They can also learn to anticipate the second line and eventually join in.
The characters in the book are good too. As the Mother Owl is the only "grown-up" she can be replaced with "Granny Owl" or "Daddy Owl" as appropriate for your child and their main carer, or whoever they might identify this character with. The book is an excellent starting point for discussion with little ones, especially if they are worried about being left somewhere new, like school, nursery, or even at home with a baby-sitter when Mum goes out.
The three owls themselves each have different characters, and adults can easily change the names to match those of the young listeners. In the book, Sarah is the one who seems to look after the other two, so she is probably the older sister (or brother, if you call her Sam, like we do!).
Percy is a little bit younger, and looks up to Sarah for reassurance. I always read Percy with a high squeaky voice which goes down well with the bairns. Poor wee Bill only has one thing to say throughout (more repetition, which means more opportunities for anticipation and joining in). At the end of each page, Bill pipes up:
"I want my mummy!"
Of course the Mother Owl does return in the end, and this is the perfect time to confront any fears or worries in your little ones about Mum or Dad not coming back.
The illustrations, by Patrick Benson are quite dark and spooky, and in my opinion, more attractive to older children than those the book is aimed at. However, this book is available in an extra large size which makes the pictures much more attractive, with the Owls' faces jumping out at your child. Also available as a board book if you are looking for a sturdier copy!
If you are feeling adventurous, or are a teacher or playworker looking to do extension work on this book, there is plenty of opportunity for sensory exploration, especially looking at the materials which the owls' nest is made of (these are listed as part of the story). There are also the elements of birds, animal noises, owls, night animals and animal homes.
This is a lovely book for very young children... there is plenty in this book to make it a longlasting favourite for children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly successful!, 20 Nov 2008
When my son turned 2 our health visitor came to do the usual check up and gave him his Bookstart pack which included the delightfully colourful "cock-a-moo-moo" and the rather bland and dull looking Owl Babies. cock a moo moo was read again and again and I just assumed the "dull" illustrations and not so "loud" and rather "bounce-less" narrative of Owl Babies would not captivate him so it found its way to the bottom of the toy box until my son pulled it out one day and asked to have it read to him, after which we were both hooked! Now he is three and his little 1 year old sister also loves the book, its taught them that when mummy leaves its no big deal, and sometimes you may well b on your own, but at those times you look after each other (rather than pinching the other's toy the moment mummy walks out the room!). I was surprised at both my kids loving the book despite what I had written off as too scary a story (is mummy gone for too long?), too boring the narrative and too dull the illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone living or working with small children, 10 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Owl Babies (Big Books) (Paperback)
I bought this book after using it whilst on work experience in a nursery school. The children loved it, and it was invaluable for comforting a small boy on his first day who was worried that his mum wouldn't come back to get him. The illustrations are beautiful and highly original.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 17 Dec 2008
This review is from: Owl Babies (Board book)
I bought this book for my baby when she was tiny. She is nearly one now, and flaps and bounces at the appropriate point.

The story manages to combine simplicity, with real charactarisation and emotions in a way that none of the other stories I read to my daughter do. The pictures are beautifully drawn, they look like real owls, but still manage to convey the emotion of the story.

2.0 out of 5 stars This story scares my little boy, 1 Mar 2011
Mrs. Y. De Klerk "Yolande de Klerk" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)

Maybe he's just a sensitive little soul, but he seemed genuinely upset that the 3 little owls are alone in the dark forest without their mummy for most of the book, wondering where she is & whether or not she is coming back. I've stopped reading the book to him, because he is now always asking me if my husband or I am also going to leave him like the owl mummy left her babies :o(

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 13 Feb 2000
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
I love this book because I like the bit when the owls are asleep and they want their mummy to come home and then she does. Sarah is my favourite owl. The pictures make the owls look worried.
Piers

5.0 out of 5 stars A superp book for children., 16 Jun 2000
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
This has great hummor because Bill says 'I want my mummy'.That part made me laugh.This book is good because it stops people from being scared if you cant find your mummy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn. Nearly fell off my perch reading it., 26 Oct 2013
Mudhopper (North Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
The ever un-imaginative North Somerset Council education team were plugging this book as a must-read for year 1s and 2s. They even wanted the infants to learn the whole story in actions. Why?! Oh dear god why?!... This dull, lifeless book typifies the mindless and crass literature that is so often dumped on to our children in school. And as a spoiler, yes the ruddy parent birds do return and the babies are not orphaned. Wow, shocker, I know. Reading this book aloud to my class engaged them about as much as a dinner ladies' leaving speech. I refused to pedal this junk to my class and switched to doing a two week project on "The Big Big Sea", which is by far a more stimulating and reflective read for children of any age. Sorry Mr Waddell if my negative review upsets you, but I'm sure the sales of this book haven't hurt you. Maybe you could re-release this book with some dialogue that is actually not purely designed to be read to an audience by the girl who does the adverts for Lelli Kelly shoes?

Owl Babies
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell (Board book - 2 Sep 1996)
3.99