5.0 out of 5 stars <3
So basically the book is about a Dad and 3 kids going for a walk, looking for bears, the have to overcome obstacles along the way e.g. mud, river, long grass etc. and eventually they do bump into a bear and run all the way home to hide from the bear in their house, when it turns out, the bear just wants to be friends.
It's very repetitive on each page, which is good,...
Published on 31 Jan. 2013 by Erin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
I read it to my 2 year old and he grew wide eyed, shocked and looked worried! He asked me to read it again and again but wouldn't let me get past the 'cave' page before turning back to the beginning. I realise now that it's not meant to be actually frightening but my son isn't able to understand it in another way yet so really does seem scared, despite my reassurances...
Published on 6 Aug. 2012 by Jacqueline

5.0 out of 5 stars <3, 31 Jan. 2013
It's very repetitive on each page, which is good, it's what kids like, they can learn it and read it along with you at the same time. And like i've said bellow, i'm 17 and I still remember it today...

I remember I used to have this book read to me when I was a little girl... I know the book off by heart still today... and I 17! So i thought it would be good to give to my little brother (2 years) so he gets to learn it as well!
He loves it, has it read to him all the time and sometimes will just look through it on his own looking at the pictures.
It's great that it's cardboard, means he can;t wreck it too easily (which is always a bonus with a toddler ;) )

It was smaller than I thought it would be, but actually it makes it easier for him to hold, so it worked out for the best :)
I love it, he loves and my dad loves.... It;s great for all ages!

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book for children with learning difficulties, 10 May 2000
I am a teacher of children with severe learning difficulties and I have been featuring this book in our literacy hour all through the last term. We have developed props to enhance the sounds and visual effects; such as a dish of water for the 'Splish Splosh', wellies in a tray of wet sand for the 'Squelch Squerch' and a model of a cave, complete with wet nose, furry ears and 'Two Googly Eyes' for the meeting with the bear. The children's reactions have been brilliant. Those with limited or no speech have been repeating some of the words (even at home). All have responded and joined in well (particularly those with challenging behaviours) and all of the children love the repetitive nature of the words and the exciting ending. An obsolutely brilliant book and hard to replace for this term's featured story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great joy for the under 5s, 29 Oct. 2008
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
'We're Going on a Bear Hunt' has been one of the favourite stories for children at the nursery where I work for years. It is a beautiful and well-constructed story, with nice use of repetitive language patterns that children can join in with or re-enact.

I was a little concerned by the idea of a DVD version: I didn't want to see one of the children's favourite stories ruined by over-production.

I needn't have worried. The DVD is beautifully-produced. It doesn't detract from the story in any way: the animation is simply an animated version of the illustrations from the book and the narration (by Kevin Whately and Emelia Fox) is just right. The added music track isn't intrusive, and it's used to partially set the words from the book to music. It's hard to remember now that the story didn't always seem to have this tune.

Presenting book and DVD together is a lovely idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids love it., 29 April 2006
I ordered this unseen in response to rave reviews on Amazon. At first sight I thought it was a shame that every other illustration was a black and white line drawing - 'the kids'll never go for it', I thought. But they don't mind a bit! They love chanting along with the words that repeat throughout the book, and they love making all the sounds. It's become a real favourite for both my 4 and my 2 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars We're going on a bear hunt. We're going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day, we're not scared ..., 25 Oct. 2006
Dr. H. Payne - See all my reviews
Children love repetition and the chorus of this poem (see the title of this review) has the necessary repetition without being head-bangingly tedious for the adult reader. The rhythm of the poem/story is wonderful and we find ourselves chanting it on family walks. When our little boy was only 2 years old he could join in with us.

For each verse a new weather condition or practical obstacle (such as mud, a perenial little boy's favourite) is encountered. This provides the opportunity for lots of onomatopoeic "squelch, squerch", "swishy swashy", "hoo woo" and the like chants. Another winner with the children.

Finally after a long hunt the bear is found and everyone runs home to safety. This echoes the sort of I'm-coming-to-get-you, run-away game that parents and children have always played and enjoyed. Marvellous.

One word of advice - be mindful whether you're ordering a paperback, hardback or board book. When I first started buying for very small children on Amazon (wanting the more robust board books) I confused the last two formats resulting in some irritating returns and exchanges.

5.0 out of 5 stars We're going on a Bear Hunt, 14 May 2007
This is my children's favourite book. My daughter (now 4) was given it for her 1st birthday and has loved it from about 18 months. My son, now 2.5, has been read it since birth and they both adore it. Because it's so fantastically repetitive and poetic both of them can recite the whole thing without needing the book so we often recite it whilst going for walks. We even play "bear hunt" round the house. I think it's a fantastic introduction to beautiful poetic language as well as being a fun story. I have heard people say their kids found it frightening but neither of my children ever have - and my daughter is frightened of most things!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 1/2 year old loves it, 8 Sept. 2009
Winner of the Smarties book Prize. If you and your child like interactive imaginative stories then this is the book for you.

I discovered this book when my daughter started going to nursery and we listened to this at story time.

The story is very interactive, about a family going on a bear hunt, they have to overcome different obstcales like long wavy grass, mud, a river, and a forest. The repetition is we can't go over it, can't go under it, oh no we've got to go through it, for us this great opportunity for all the family to get involved regardless of age, (it is also a great story to be reinacted on a rainy day).
The illustrations are cartoon like watercolours and I think they suit the story.

Michael Rosen is also on YouTube telling the story so if you are unsure, watch the author himself telling the tale it is quite simple but entertaining.

The story has also be used in different childrens programmes including Something Special and Show Me Show Me and if it's good enough for CBeebies to tell then it is good enough for me!!

Some reviews say that the story is frightening and teaching children that is ok to hunt, but it depends on your parenting style.
I've bought my daughter the book of the nursery rhyme there was an old lady who swallowed a fly, and I'm pretty sure she won't be eating flies,spiders,birds etc anytime soon!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick under the duvet!, 18 Feb. 2012
Beautifully simple book that my 2 year old loves. The pictures are simple but perfectly suited to the story and the premise of a hunt is simple but teaches routines, order and gets kids up and on their feet. The actions that you can make up or see on youtube really enthuse youngsters and I've used this many times in school for reception classes to KS3 SEN pupils who really get a kick out of joining in with the storytelling. Add to that the possibilities for creative arts, kids making there own pictures/models and prints of the river/forest and bear etc...a winner every time.

Additional: Have recently been accepted on to a teacher training course having used this story in my interview with a group of Year 4s. We couldn't use the book, but had to memorise the story and justify our use of our chosen story. This story teaches order and sequencing and uses repetition of rhyme. The kids loved it, (even mentioned that in class they can do extension work such as their own pictures of the 'squelchy mud', acting and role plays etc). It grabbed their attention and the chase home up the stairs and under the duvet followed by a plenary review is one thing that really impressed the panel. If you haven't already used this in the classroom...I'd ask why not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a classic, 25 May 2006
A book every child will love. It's got everything: masterful use of repetition, beautiful pictures, sounds that are huge fun to read and even a chase sequence with an angry bear. Bedtime isn't the same with any other book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice classic for the little ones, 12 Jun. 2012
We've had this book since my eldest was a 1 year old (he's now 5, his brother is 3). The youngest in particular really likes this story, and can recite bits and pieces of it as it's a repetitive, rhyming book. Yes, the characters do end up finding a slightly cross bear, and running away, but I'm surprised it scares so many children. I read it with quite a bouncy tone at the beginning, becoming more worried as the book goes on, reading the initially confident "I'm not scared!" line in a quiet little voice, to show that the family are getting scared as the book goes on, then there's all the excitement when the bear is found and they rush home again (I find all this makes it a nice book to read aloud). I don't see the "Bear hunt" as anything sinister, more that they are "looking" for a bear, rather than intending to cause any harm to the bear. The illustrations are lovely and the onomatopoeia makes for a fun "read aloud" experience.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Big Books)
We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Big Books) by Michael Rosen (Paperback - 5 Feb. 1996)