5.0 out of 5 stars I've never forgotten it, 18 May 2005
This review is from: Think of an Eel (Read & Wonder) (Paperback)
I was born in 1987 so I suppose I was about 6 when we got the hardback copy of this book. I remember being absolutely captivated by it. It is very intelligent - instead of talking down to children, it encourages them to think higher. There is such an appreciation of the eels' otherworldliness which really appealed to me as a child: the language and the illustrations work together so well to put the story across. I remember absolutely loving this book, and I have never forgotten it. Even now the mere mention of the Sargasso Sea sends shivers down my spine. This book is informative, wise and absolutely enchanting. It has stayed with me all my life - I would recommend it to anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun book for young naturalists!!!!, 5 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Think of an Eel (Read & Wonder) (Paperback)
I bought this book for a friends daughter who loves fish but was confused about eels, she calls them snakes!!! And as a fish biologist I snook a look and thought that it is the most imaginative and wonderfully told story of the lifecycle of the eel. It is as good a discription as I have seen for younger persons (or adults!) because it made you really think hard about the different lifestages and migration of eels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically engrossing non-fiction, 4 April 2008
C. Fisher (UK/NZ) - See all my reviews
I bought this book to read to a class of 7-8 year olds to learn more about similes - the book is full of them. It is an amazing story and the illustrations to go with it are sumptuous, rich and informative. It is quite a challenging class and they were all hooked. It is a non-fiction book and provided the boys with a lot of interest while also having some challenging and exciting language. There are so many opportunities to extend the book (science, language, geography) and plenty of enjoyment in just reading it straight. A 'perfect' book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story about an amazing life cycle!, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Think of an Eel (Paperback)
This book explains the incredible life cycle of an eel very clearly; the illustrations are beautiful, too. I have just started a whole-school topic about eels as we have joined the 'eels in schools' project - we have 200 glass eels in the school hall which have enthralled the children completely. This book is an ideal resource for this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of an eel, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Think of an Eel (Paperback)
Great book. Used to support teaching and it was very clear and colourful for the children. An informative, enjoyable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Aug 2014
great fac-tion book for learning about life cycles. Beautiful illustrations.

Think of an Eel (Read & Wonder)
Think of an Eel (Read & Wonder) by Karen Wallace (Paperback - 4 Sep 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01