5.0 out of 5 stars Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
This story is about three owls and they wake up one night and their Mum went hunting for their food. They thought their Mum was gone so they went outside and waited on a branch. They were upset.
I liked this story because some parts were funny like when they jumped up and down on the branch when their Mum came back.
I would recommend this story to people who...
Published on 18 Jun 2002 by L.Wall

2.0 out of 5 stars This story scares my little boy
First let me start off by saying that I think this is a really lovely story - really it is. But it's hardly about what I think, it's about what my 3 year old son thinks ...

Maybe he's just a sensitive little soul, but he seemed genuinely upset that the 3 little owls are alone in the dark forest without their mummy for most of the book, wondering where she is &...
Published on 1 Mar 2011 by Mrs. Y. De Klerk

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Childrens favourite, 11 Sep 2005
G. D. Griffin (Redditch, Warks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
I did a stint of volunteer reading at a Junior School. This was the book all the kids picked - they love it! I buy it for all of my little nieces, nephews, friends children etc etc

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it's a bit naff, but my 3-y-o LOVED it..., 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
I thought this book was a bit sucky, to be honest. The illustrations are very nice, and I can see exactly what they're trying to communicate: that sometimes we miss people we love, but they come back to us. The trouble is, you find yourself wondering if Percy is going to make it in the big bad owl world, or if Sarah and Bill will just get too irritated with him one time and [gulp]. My (then 3-y-o) son really loved it though - the message about Mummy coming back and gently chiding her children for ever doubting she would really hit home with him. We had to read it numerous times every day for several weeks. The saving grace of the book for me is the phrase "soft and silent", which is SO lovely to read and so evocative of an owl swooping!

I can't think there's many 5-y-o's who would still find this interesting, but for a 2- or 3-y-o, particularly one who's a bit concerned if Mummy is out of sight, it's a gentle bedtime read with a happy ending...

5.0 out of 5 stars A book about three 'philosophical' baby owls, 15 Feb 2008
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
which needs no formal introduction, from Martin Waddell.

This review is for the 1994/Walker Books paperback edition.

Larger size width, half height paperback with 32 high quality shiny pages in the popular 2-page spread format. Beautifully illustrated throughout, by Patrick Benson.

From the back cover:-

'On a tree in the woods. Three baby owls, Sarah and Percy and Bill, sit and think and wait for their Owl Mother to come home.'

"Touchingly beautiful....Drawn with exquisite delicacy...The perfect picture book....." The Guardian'

And the pictures are indeed wonderful, set in darker colours to represent the night time light.
Meaningful facial expressions add to the atmosphere and the story has a repeat element in the lines:-

(all owls think a lot)
and
"I want my mummy!" said Bill.

Clear light coloured text on the dark background with emphasised in places in capitalization or italics.

In my opinion, this book is particularly well set out with the text always being on the left hand page, so the younger reader is naturally drawn there on the turn of the page!

Example of text:-

'One night they woke up and their Owl Mother was GONE.
"Where's Mummy?" asked Sarah?
"Oh my goodness!" said Percy.
"I want my Mummy!" said Bill.

The baby owls thought
(all owls think a lot) -
"I think she`s gone hunting," said Sarah.
"To get us our food!" said Percy.
"I want my Mummy!" said Bill.......'

It is dark in the wood, so the three baby owls bravely stick together, sitting on Sarah's branch, as they ponder their Mum's absence.

All is well that ends well as Mummy swoops back to three excited owls 'flapping and dancing and bouncing up and down' on their branch!

5.0 out of 5 stars OWL BABIES, 11 Sep 2007
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL BOOK, WITH WONDERFUL ILLUSTRATIONS AND DELIGHTFUL CHARACTERS. THE TEXT IS EASY FOR CHILDREN TO JOIN IN WITH. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that interesting!, 8 July 2013
Mrs. H. Musgrave (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
I'm sorry to say that I found this book quite boring. Don't get me wrong, we're all book worms and love reading, but this just didn't impress me at all. Compared to great books for young children like "Peepo", "Each Peach, Pear, Plum", "The Gruffalo" and "Going on a Bear Hunt", this book was really quite poor. I know the other favourites rhyme and have gorgeous illustrations which really helps keep little ones focused, but the story in this book was dull and predictable. I never read this with my son (now nearly 5) but I bought it for my daughter (now 2.5). She loves books and hasn't picked this up once since reading together a few times. My son is also not interested, whereas he'll happily sit with us to read the others mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story Queen says this is the best book ever written, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
Owl Babies has long been my favourite book - for any age group, genre, whatever. It is a beautiful story. It has a beginning a middle and an end. It is funny. It is a teeny tiny bit scary - safe kind of scary. It is about Love. It is about Family.It has a happy ending. It is about the most important beings on the planet - mothers and their babies. I heard Martin Waddell read this on radio some years back and ran out immediately and bought it. Twelve years later I had to buy a new one because the old one was worn out. I have an Owl Babies poster. I read it to every available child. Fandabbydoubledozey!I guess you could call me a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 4 Nov 2010
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
My granddaughter who is 3 & my grandson who is 18 months adore this book - they want me to read it over & over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gorgeous Book, 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
This is such a lovely book for little ones (under 5/6). The story is very cute and the illustrations are gorgeous. One I would recommend for all little ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading with my grandson, 11 July 2010
Mr. Paul S. Gold "PSG" (England) - See all my reviews
My 3 year old grandson had seen a picture of the front cover and kept asking me to get it so that I could read it to him, he loves it and having learnt all the words he gets real pleasure reading it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mommy will always come back, 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
My 3 year old son loves the rhythm of the text and the pictures of the fluffy owl babies. But most of all he likes the fact that a mommy will always come back! Beautiful - this is our second copy as the first got loved to pieces.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Owl Babies
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell (Paperback - 8 Sep 1994)
4.79