5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly successful!
When my son turned 2 our health visitor came to do the usual check up and gave him his Bookstart pack which included the delightfully colourful "cock-a-moo-moo" and the rather bland and dull looking Owl Babies. cock a moo moo was read again and again and I just assumed the "dull" illustrations and not so "loud" and rather "bounce-less" narrative of Owl Babies would not...
Published on 20 Nov. 2008 by S.Rehman

3.0 out of 5 stars I think it's a bit naff, but my 3-y-o LOVED it...
I thought this book was a bit sucky, to be honest. The illustrations are very nice, and I can see exactly what they're trying to communicate: that sometimes we miss people we love, but they come back to us. The trouble is, you find yourself wondering if Percy is going to make it in the big bad owl world, or if Sarah and Bill will just get too irritated with him one time...
Published on 18 Mar. 2012 by Muddlingthrough

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Childrens favourite, 11 Sept. 2005
G. D. Griffin (Redditch, Warks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
I did a stint of volunteer reading at a Junior School. This was the book all the kids picked - they love it! I buy it for all of my little nieces, nephews, friends children etc etc

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that interesting!, 8 July 2013
Mrs. H. Musgrave (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
I'm sorry to say that I found this book quite boring. Don't get me wrong, we're all book worms and love reading, but this just didn't impress me at all. Compared to great books for young children like "Peepo", "Each Peach, Pear, Plum", "The Gruffalo" and "Going on a Bear Hunt", this book was really quite poor. I know the other favourites rhyme and have gorgeous illustrations which really helps keep little ones focused, but the story in this book was dull and predictable. I never read this with my son (now nearly 5) but I bought it for my daughter (now 2.5). She loves books and hasn't picked this up once since reading together a few times. My son is also not interested, whereas he'll happily sit with us to read the others mentioned.

2.0 out of 5 stars This story scares my little boy, 1 Mar. 2011
Mrs. Y. De Klerk "Yolande de Klerk" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
First let me start off by saying that I think this is a really lovely story - really it is. But it's hardly about what I think, it's about what my 3 year old son thinks ...

Maybe he's just a sensitive little soul, but he seemed genuinely upset that the 3 little owls are alone in the dark forest without their mummy for most of the book, wondering where she is & whether or not she is coming back. I've stopped reading the book to him, because he is now always asking me if my husband or I am also going to leave him like the owl mummy left her babies :o(

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story Queen says this is the best book ever written, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
Owl Babies has long been my favourite book - for any age group, genre, whatever. It is a beautiful story. It has a beginning a middle and an end. It is funny. It is a teeny tiny bit scary - safe kind of scary. It is about Love. It is about Family.It has a happy ending. It is about the most important beings on the planet - mothers and their babies. I heard Martin Waddell read this on radio some years back and ran out immediately and bought it. Twelve years later I had to buy a new one because the old one was worn out. I have an Owl Babies poster. I read it to every available child. Fandabbydoubledozey!I guess you could call me a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars OWL BABIES, 11 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL BOOK, WITH WONDERFUL ILLUSTRATIONS AND DELIGHTFUL CHARACTERS. THE TEXT IS EASY FOR CHILDREN TO JOIN IN WITH. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn. Nearly fell off my perch reading it., 26 Oct. 2013
Mudhopper (North Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
The ever un-imaginative North Somerset Council education team were plugging this book as a must-read for year 1s and 2s. They even wanted the infants to learn the whole story in actions. Why?! Oh dear god why?!... This dull, lifeless book typifies the mindless and crass literature that is so often dumped on to our children in school. And as a spoiler, yes the ruddy parent birds do return and the babies are not orphaned. Wow, shocker, I know. Reading this book aloud to my class engaged them about as much as a dinner ladies' leaving speech. I refused to pedal this junk to my class and switched to doing a two week project on "The Big Big Sea", which is by far a more stimulating and reflective read for children of any age. Sorry Mr Waddell if my negative review upsets you, but I'm sure the sales of this book haven't hurt you. Maybe you could re-release this book with some dialogue that is actually not purely designed to be read to an audience by the girl who does the adverts for Lelli Kelly shoes?

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing and rich with detail for little ones, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
What this book does, that few good children books do, is combine very attractive artwork with a genuine journey story. What the children get is a real life situation of uncertainty and mild peril, balanced with the camaraderie of siblings, then delivered safely to the end with the return of the parent, a return that they discover would always have happened.

The artwork is fabulous also. The owls are real, but tweaked enough to be emotional, and the backgrounds are detailed and yet dark and no distraction from the story. The angles and perspectives work perfectly, so much so I'd be surprised they weren't drawn from photographs.

Overall 'Owl Babies' is a lovely read, long enough to keep their attention, but short enough to not exhaust it. Great pictures, good story and a continuous return read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading with my grandson, 11 July 2010
Mr. Paul S. Gold "PSG" (England) - See all my reviews
My 3 year old grandson had seen a picture of the front cover and kept asking me to get it so that I could read it to him, he loves it and having learnt all the words he gets real pleasure reading it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Book, 15 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
When my sister was small I would read her a book before bed every night, and every night she would ask for owl babies. Something in this story really captured her mind, and i read it so many times i could stil,l remember every word years later.

Now my son has reached the age to really start apreciating a bed time story, and despite having a LARGE selection of books to choose from, he time and time again wants Owl Babies. He bounces up and down with excitement when i bring it out (much like the baby owls do) and kisses their faces on each page while i read it. Put simply, he loves it.

would recomend to anyone x

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gorgeous Book, 12 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Owl Babies (Paperback)
This is such a lovely book for little ones (under 5/6). The story is very cute and the illustrations are gorgeous. One I would recommend for all little ones.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

Owl Babies
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell (Paperback - 8 Sept. 1994)