5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting book about the circle of life.
This is a book that our school uses and recommends for reading. I read it at a parents evening and came away completely emotional. I hope that it will show my children how I feel for them and how I have experienced things as a child that they are now doing. A must read for all mothers and their children
Published on 8 April 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice story but .....
I understand reviewers feel emotional, when reading this, thinking about their little one's growing up. However, I really struggle with the part where the girl punches her brother - resulting in him having a "sore nose" and she ends up with a black eye. Maybe people think it's funny when siblings fight. I just don't want to promote this. Otherwise, this is a...
Published 11 months ago by Mrs. J. H. Whitley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An enchanting book about the circle of life., 8 April 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully illustrated story, 28 Sept. 1999
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
I first borrowed this book from the library for my children - once we had read it, I had to buy it. It follows the life of a baby girl as she grows up and finally has a baby of her own. I defy any mum to read it to her children without tears in her eyes!

5.0 out of 5 stars I cry every time I read this, 10 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
I bought this book for my son just after his baby sister had been born. Maybe it was because I bought it at that special "new baby" time, but every time I read it I get caught up with the idea of my children growing up and feel very emotional.
The book uses simple language with some repetition (which is very appealing to young children) to take snapshots of a girl's life from being a baby (surrounded by giants - her parents) to being one of the giants herself when she has her own baby girl.The last page echoes the first ..."There are giants in the house again... and one of the giants is me"
I challenge you to read this one to your children with dry eyes!
(oh and by the way ... my children love it too - but maybe not as much as me!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The most beautiful book to read to/with your child, 10 Oct. 2013
R. Jones "reading_rach" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
A really really special book, written in gentle rhyme, which I've adored reading to both of my daughters. I also bought it for many friends who'd just had babies and would carry on doing so forever if it were still in print. Frankly, if I didn't already have a copy, I'd probably buy a used one at £25!

(And yes, I - and my friends - all get soppy reading this to our children.)

I'll never get rid of my copy; it'll definitely go into the loft for the 'grandchildren' box when my youngest ever outgrows it (and she's only 9!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 3 year olds!, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
My son is three and has recently begun to put things together in his head... I am a mummy, but I have a mummy (Grandma) and he is a son, a boy, whereas his sister cannot be a son, she's a daughter... Sounds obvious I know but this book is BRILLIANT to put things straight in their heads and to give them a beginner's concept of time and familial relationships, as well as the concept of growth and potential to have children themselves. It has prompted a lot of discussion too, the heroine not being perfect (scolded at school for calling people names, annoying her brother and sister...) Really refreshing and wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaks me up every time, 15 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
Like the first reviewer, I cannot read this book without breaking into tears at the end. I see my daughter now in it (she is seven) and I see me as my mother would have done as the story progresses, culminating in me becoming a mum. I can't get to the end without welling up. We love to share this book and I have sneaked a peek on my own too. I'm so impressed by the authors other books too - try Owl Babies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever, 24 May 2008
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
My daughters all loved this book and have labelled it 'best book ever'. An enchanting journey through family life, with wonderful illustrations of the passage of time as the girl grows from babyhood to parenthood. This book has been in our house for 15 years and has not yet reached the roofspace - a glowing recommendation in itself. An excellent book for teaching children about their place in the family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
I used to read this to my daughter who is now 25...she loved it and still cries when she reads it.
She has just been asked to be God Mother to her dear oldest friend's baby girl and her very first thought was to get hold of a copy for her new God-daughter....She still cherishes her own! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
This is a generational story tale which makes me sob . I read it as a child myself and this second hand edition (it is out of print) is very special. A simple, stunning tale with warm pictures that really create a sense of family relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 22 Aug. 2012
M. Hall (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once There Were Giants (Paperback)
This is a beautiful book which resonates with adults and children. My 4 year old son loves this book but after the second read through burst into tears as he didn't want to grow up and leave me!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Once There Were Giants
Once There Were Giants by Martin Waddell (Hardcover - 28 Sept. 1989)
Used & New from: £0.01