Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 June 2012
I can only add to what a number of other reviewers have already said about this book. I found the book well written and very readable. Parts of the story were excellent and described the action that was taking place very well indeed. No complaints on that score.
In all works of fiction there are always points in the story where the reader is asked to suspend reality and to accept a particular course of action taken by one of the characters as this is required to lead the story to where the author wishes it to go, and most readers accept this without questions. What the author should not do is to not have too many of these, or to build up a character in the story to then have them do the most improbable thing.

In this case "The Dancer" is built up throughout the story as the almost perfect killing machine, to such an extent that he invariably detects the traps set for him by the police all the way through the book, only to be caught out at the end of the story because the story had to end somewhere.

All in all for me this was a good enough read, certainly not bad enough to be a one or two star book, but equally it does not deserve any higher than the three stars that I have gave it due to these stretches that the story takes.
on 28 November 1999
This second Lincoln Rhyme story from Jeffery Deaver is even more gripping than his first, "The Bone Collector". Like it's predecessor it's one of those books that you just can't put down. Just when you think you've figured something out there's another twist to the story and you just keep on reading. If you don't mind finding your book lying on your bedroom floor in the morning because you've desperately tried to stay awake to read just a few more pages the night before, then "The Coffin Dancer" is for you. Apart from being a fascinating insight into the world of forensic science, you really feel that you are there with the characters, trying to figure out the killer's next move. I would offer one piece of advice however. Don't read this book before you've read "The Bone Collector" as you will miss some of the essential background to the characters that you will need to enjoy "The Coffin Dancer" to the full. Congratulations to Jeffery Deaver. Highly recommended.
on 18 September 2000
This is my second Jeffery Deaver book , having read "The Bone Collector" . Yet again I was gripped and could not book the book down. Surely another film in the making.
I knew after The Bone Collector I was in for an ending with a twist and yet I was still surprised. Am now about to start A Maiden's Grave Can't wait
on 7 September 2009
There's no doubting that it's a exciting page turner but the plot is full of holes and the denouement is nothing short of ludicrous. I won't give it away but the big reveal renders what came before totally nonsensical.
It turns out that the Coffin Dancer, a meticulous planner who will go to any lengths to get his kill, has left an awful lot to chance and seems to be relying on a hell of a lot of good luck and coincidence. The fact that he wasn't killed during the course of such a dumb plan is some sort of miracle.
There are other major (and minor) plot flaws and niggles but the big one is unforgivable.

I couldn't put it down but when it was done it left a sour taste.
on 20 July 2000
There is no doubt that I am quite a fan of the forensic crime thriller type of books, but despite that, this is the first Jeffrey Deaver that I have actually read. I thought it was fantastic. The plot was far more interesting and clever and had a lot more twists and turns along the way to keep you guessing than most of the other books of the same genre that I have read.
I think that it is incredibly difficult for a book like this to get every single aspect perfect. Certain imperfections have to be expected, and the way Percy wanted to take things into her own hands as opposed to having the police assist, was a little unrealistic. This minor issue however, did not detract from the quality of the book.
I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this book. It kept me firmly in it's grasp throughout the whole story, and I can't wait to read some more Jeffrey Deaver.
on 21 February 2014
I read The Bone Collector by mistake having read it a long time ago and watched the film, however I was soon engrossed and found it brilliant. I was unaware there were a series of Lincoln Rhyme books but now possess 4 books!! So easy with a kindle!! This one The Coffin Dancer was so involved with finding the Dancer, it was not until the last paragraphs in the book that I discovered why he was so possessed in finding him. The undercurrent of romance between Lincoln and Sachs was believable and I was pleased she took the initiative. You forget he is a quad as the author has him managing all the equipment which makes life easier for him. Thom is wonderful and deserves a pay rise!!! Looking forward to the next one
on 23 February 2006
Having seen 'the Bone Collector' movie, I haven't been interested in Jeffery Deaver's works up until now. Having finished everything else that I had lined up, I decided to finally take a look at the Lincoln Rhyme series with the 'Coffin Dancer', and this is certainly one of the greatest thrillers I've ever read!
In this story we follow Lincoln Rhyme the bed-ridden criminalist in his chase of the elusive Coffin Dancer. Using his aides and his protege Amelia Sachs, he examines evidence from crime scenes and arranges the entire criminal investigation from his bed. This time round the Dancer is one-by-one eliminating some of the workers at an airline charter company who witnessed something they were not supposed to see.
The suspense is fantastic and the depth of the story is amazing. I loved the blend of criminalist examination of forensic evidence together with the action and drama of the actual pursuit of the suspect. I was also not expecting a twist in the story's end, but it turns out there is much more to the story than first meets the eye. The interaction between all of the characters is also highly entertaining, and you are taken through a range of emotions: everything from sadness, to anger and suspense.
All in all, these Deaver books seem to be horribly massacred by Hollywood attempts to make them into movies. For all crime fiction fans, drop everything else and read this book!!
VINE VOICEon 8 February 2012
I have just finished this book and am itching to start the Empty Chair. This was fantastic. Right from the first chapter we are hauld into another investigation which seems impossible to solve. What I love about these books so far is that Lincoln is bright but he is reliant on those around him for brain storming and that he is a character who has worked hard for his knowledge. The romance between Lincoln and Sachs was so teasing in this book. I think Deaver is ormentin me with this storyline.

The main thriller storyline is fantastic. You are left dizzy as in this ultimate cat and mouse game. It is very hard to go into the story as really, I hate to give out any spoilers. But just to say this book is exciting, un put downable. You really should read it as you will enjoy it.
on 8 March 2001
Deaver excels with a plot that packs in plenty of surprises and characteristic Deaver-diversions. The first chapter captures the uniquely distractive style of writing on which his thrillers are based. The research is tight, always nudging the plot along, and the narrative itself is written with more verve than the other two Rhyme novels. The best of the Rhyme series heretofore.
VINE VOICEon 10 June 2005
Wow with a great start in a doomed aircraft, and csi investigations that defies suspense, a criminal genius that is beyond compare, think Hannibal only 10 times worse, great twists, incredible story and you have Deaver's best ever novel, Bone Collector was great but this just blows it out the water.
I have seen so many books that say could not put it down well this is literally unputodownable missing several stops on my way to work. Forget 5 stars this is a 10.