5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and thorough
I bought this to learn Portuguese for a recent trip to Brazil. I didn't leave much time for learning so only had a week but it's amazing how much I learnt by doing 2 hours a day (repeating each lesson twice). I was able to converse for basic tourist needs (introductions, asking someone if they speak English, how to ask for directions).

I found this to be really...
Published on 1 Nov. 2011 by ASax

3.0 out of 5 stars First steps in speaking and listening to Portuguese
Published on 30 May 2012 by Philoctetes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and thorough, 1 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Pimsleur Portuguese (Brazilian) Quick & Simple Course - Level 1 Lessons 1-8 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand Brazilian Portuguese with Pimsleur Langu (Pimsleur Quick and Simple) (Audio CD)

I found this to be really useful and thorough and I would definitely recommend to others. The lessons are clear and set at a good pace to allow comfortable learning. I found that some self-learn sets are too fast. Also the advantage with having them in audio only meant I could listen to them on the tube on my way to work.

The only downside of this is that you don't learn how to read/ write in Portuguese which can be useful if looking for directions etc. However, since I was using it for holiday this suited me just fine.

This is one of the best self-learning language packs and at a great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top for what it is, 19 Feb. 2011
Learning styles vary but I find it hard to believe you can learn a language without looking at the printed word and following some grammar guidelines. This said, these CDs are superb in themselves, for listening and repeating. They are top material for basic communication.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to learn Portugese, 31 Oct. 2002
This audio collection consists of CD's with easy managable 1/2 hour lessons, 2 per CD. It teaches you basic conversational Portugese, by listening and repeating. It explains the differences between Spanish, Portugese and Brazilian Portugese.
Its great to have in the car or just playing like the radio. You do not necissarily have to sit and listen. Just having it playing helps you familiarise with the language. I found this helped me pick it up more easily.
The format of the CD's is so simple and fun that even a first time learner like myself had no problems picking it up. After learning both French and German from text books I was surprised to find how much more quickley I have learnt from audio lessons.
I would recommend this to absolutley anyone who is looking to learn a new language. Buying this set has enabled me to speak to my best friend,(who is Brazilian) in her own language. She is amazed by how far I have come in such a short time. Definatley the best buy I have had for a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Piemsleur, 19 April 2012
I teach Portuguese as a second language and one my students purchased Pimsleur. Previously,I have used Pimsleur to learn French and the outcome was good.I would rate the pronunciation as excellent and it's good value for money.If you have a beginner to intermediate level of Portuguese and want to improve your conversation skills you will make some improvements, though the vocabulary is very basic.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need this if you are planning a trip to Brazil, 21 Feb. 2013
This is a brilliant start for anyone who is about to go to Brazil for the first time. A little Americanised but if you can excuse that it's brilliant! I didn't think I'd be any good at learning a new language but this really gave me confidence.. Since listening to this one I've tried German and Swahili by Pimsleur too!

3.0 out of 5 stars First steps in speaking and listening to Portuguese, 30 May 2012
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a very useful product. Four discs, eight lessons of 30mins or so, and lots of opportunity for rehearsal in each chapter. Proper Brazilian speakers on the soundtrack and a very polite American voice guiding your responses. One minor annoyance is that the lessons are clearly biased towards the US market, and some of the American-English seems too formal for Brazil, and if you remember what happens to the US tourist in Trainspotting...hmmm

You'll want other sources for guidance in reading and writing, but for practising your speech this set is muito bem.

P.S. After eight lessons you haven't really learned much beyond how to introduce yourself, talk about how slender your Portuguese is and count the change in your pocket, so bear in mind that this product works as a taster but you'll need a fuller course to gain a holiday vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, 12 Dec. 2013
I choose this as an aid to learning Brazilian Portuguese, I have a Brazilian wife of four months, we have been together four and a half years, and plan to emigrate in 2014 to Brazil, I have spent these last few years helping her learn English for her job here. I think it is now way past time to learn her language so at least I will have some language skills for getting around myself and wont feel so uncomfortable.
I did start learning with Pimsleurs Portuguese, on CD a while ago, which I found easy to get along with and fun to learn, it was easy to follow and interesting This book I find exactly the same. I am also currently learning to teach English for when we do emigrate, I am looking forward to learning again and find the pimsleur method, fun, non-taxing and easy to pick up, like a good book you cant put it down, you find phrases and vocabulary will seemingly spring from nowhere !!! Great book, easy fun and very enjoyable way to learn a new language for life

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn brazilian portuguese, 2 Jan. 2011
Excellent way to start to get to grips with the basics of the spoken language. You will, however, need a dictionary if you want to see how the words are written down, but don't read it while using the CDs as it is best to concentrate on the lessons as they take place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn to speak Portuguese the Brazilian way, 14 Jun. 2014
We are very pleased with this set, the diction is clear, plenty of time given to absorb and repeat after the speakers. The only slight downside is that it is intended for Americans rather than the English.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brazilian portuguese, 18 April 2012
M. A. Smith "M A Smith" (Halifax) - See all my reviews
This set of CDS are very easy to understand and you can build up a sentence easily and quickly. I am looking forward to using the phrases I have learnt.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›