Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 January 2005
I'd had this book for years and it sort of lingered on my shelf until a couple of months ago when my abusive (now ex, thank goodness!) partner walked out on me. Normally I'd have run after him. I just happened to pick it up and read it at exactly the right time. This book gave me the strength to stick to my guns - for a couple of weeks it came everywhere with me and I'd sneak away and read bits of it during weak moments at work - and I'm so glad I did - I can't recommend this highly enough!
on 29 September 2006
If you're on this page, something is probably holding you back in your life but you might not be sure what. I highly recommend this book. In my life, I feared interviews and this put a mental block on me doing job applications. Once I was aware why I was not doing the applications, I was able to restart them. There are many great insights in this book, including why you don't have to blame yourself for mistakes in the past, but I'll leave them for you to discover.
on 29 August 2001
My best friend had just committed suicide, my abusive girlfriend (suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder) and I had separated under the ugliest of circumstances, I was being sued, and if that was enough to cope with, my house was repossessed by the building society. I had always been a sanguine, and although I positively hate the expression, happy-go-lucky kind of guy. All of a sudden these 'life events' hit me from all directions and sent me spinning off into an unfamiliar dimension.
I lost the plot for a while and all areas of my life suffered immensely. I was finding it difficult to locate a simple philosophy that might enable me to gain some control over my life. It was quite be accident that I came across this book. I saw it peeping out of a shop window as I headed to work. My first impression of the book judging by the title was that it was another American self-help book, designed to help lardy-arsed Yanks get to grips with their obesity, or something of a familiar vein. I was feeling particularly cynical and almost didn't bother buying it, dismissing it as a crutch for emotionally weak people. I think my inner-voice cried out and pleaded with me to try something, whatever it was. I was desperate; I was close to the edge and had often considered a more 'permanent' solution for all of my problems.
I had nothing less to lose and was feeling pretty sorry for myself before I started to read. If there ever was a book that changed my life it was this one. I think that I had to hit the low that I was did to subsequently be able to appreciate life for what it is and how it can be. This book basically teaches us that we are all responsible for our lives and that it is only a matter of applying a consistent, and moreover healthy/productive, attitude.
I am now in total control of my life and this book was the catalyst that gave me an essential boost in the right direction. My personal life, business and general outlook on life have changed for the better and I now look forward to all of the challenges that life might present. It really was a great help from the first page. Give it a whirl, you to will benefit from realising that you can handle anything in life, and once you cross that bridge there's no looking back (apart from when one is writing the occasional book review.)
22 comments|104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2009
First rate, in my experience this is a positive life changing book. I have so much faith in this book's ability to make positive changes in my clients' lives that I bulk buy and give as a gift a copy to each client that I feel needs this kind of support. If you are finding it difficult to move on in your life, if you are lost, if you have lost your confidence, if you feel alone and unworthy or if you are just curious about how you can make positive changes in you life then this is the book for you.
on 7 January 2003
Even if you're unaware of it, fear, at some level, is paralysing you. This book will increase your awareness of where and how fear has a hold of you, and it will provide the tools to overcome it. The best one for me was instilling an attitude that, no matter what comes my way, "I'll handle it".
I bought a copy for my Mum, who was going through a particularly hard time, and she loved it. She has since bought just about everything else Susan Jeffers has written and her confidence has soared.
Just like 'How to Win Friends & Influence People', 'Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway' is one of those phrases that has become part of the English langauge with many people being unaware that it comes from the book. This is a great book for overcoming any sense you may have of being overwhelmed by life events - there is a solution. I wasn't too keen on the 'love yourself/surround yourself with positive energy' theme, but that is in no way a reason not to buy this book.
If your self-esteem has taken a bit of a knock, this book can get you back on top of things again. If, like many people, you know you appear outwardly confident; but deep down you know you lack a certain inner confidence that truly makes you feel at ease, then you should read this book.
Be honest with yourself, if there is something in your life that gives you that sinking feeling in your stomach, this book can make it go away.
on 14 April 2001
If you are constantly feeling down or anxious about aspects of your life then this book is an absolute must. I read this book, and at first I thought it would have been like all of the other self-help books that are on the market..you know the ones that you start reading and then give up on. Well this book, i promise you cannot put down once you have started, as there is a bit of something in the book for everybody! I finished the book quite quickly, as you do get quite absorbed in it. I then felt so fresh about life as a whole, and that i could face anything that life threw at me. In hindsight I have infact always felt fear in every situation in which I felt uncomfortable and it took this book to make me realise this, and to keep doing it!! I felt the fear and did it anyway" - It's a saying that will never go away....and it works - everytime in all situations. I passed this book to a friend, who I observed to be a very depressed person, and she is now going to buy the book herself!!- Thank you Susan Jeffers....you have changed alot of lives!!!
on 30 August 2002
I think this is the best book EVER written. Over the last 18 months of my life I have become a Susan Jeffers disciple.
The book's main theme..... that the fear of doing something is ALWAYS worse that the actual DOING....... has proved SO effective to me.
It has helped me overcome my fear of jumping my horses, to getting out of a loveless 30 year relationship, to moving away from the area where I spent the first 50 years of my life, to taking up a new more high powered job in london.
My journey began with this book, and with Susan's help and her other books I am moving to the life I always wanted.
If you never buy another book again..... BUY THIS one. It will change your life.
on 23 June 2004
A truly amazing book. I have spent my life reading self-help books after sufering from severe depression and I can honestly say this is the one that made the difference. Whether it's the book or the fact that I am now "ready" it's hard to say but I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone who wants to move on in their life and reach their full potential.
on 11 May 2006
I came to this tape having struggled for over 6 months dealing with the after affects of some life changing decsisions. I didn't know where else to turn with some help from friends I gathered my courage and sought out a therapist, a self help book and the tape of Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway. Of the 3 Feel the Fear was the most positive and most immediately effective. I followed Susan's advice particualrly about commiting to all aspects of your life and within a month my life had begun to improve. This Tape (book) may not provide all the answers but if you are in a rut and are looking to find yourself again you have nothing to lose by buying this and you may well gain more than you expect!
on 18 May 2007
I am not a big believer in these sort of books,but i thought i would give it a try,purchased a few off amazon,this is the first i read,and there is a change in myself,i have noticed and the people i work with too,in about 3 weeks i don't seem to put myself down like i did.I related alot to the content,the chatter box inside me seems to have drowned out and i do seem alot happier.There is no miracle here just rethinking about how you approach life and how you can improve it.there are mental exercises to do every day and now i do feel more confident.it sounds corny but it has changed my mind about these books.it works,i am still amazed.