5.0 out of 5 stars Self-improvement of ASTOUNDING quality and quantity
Published on 14 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars A STEP ABOVE POSITIVE THINKING
Published on 10 Jun 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-improvement of ASTOUNDING quality and quantity, 14 July 2001
By A Customer
An absolutely incredible quantity and quality of self-improvement strategies are packed into this inspirational book! Robbins' intensity and commitment almost physically jump out at the reader, urging you to wake up, take control and massively improve the quality of your life and those around you. I bought this 5 or 6 years ago and continue to dip into it every so often to shake myself up a bit. Just about every page contains an immediately applicable suggestion or strategy for changing your life for the better.
Is it all as straightforward as he describes? My view would be yes... and no! Sometimes no amount of focusing and mind control can change some of our deep-rooted patterns? But this book is still brilliant. Many of the ideas here have improved my life.
Some of the ideas and techniques are very simple, some far more complicated. The concentrated power of the writing is sustained throughout as Robbins continuously emphasizes the need to commit to lasting change. Early on he suggests the importance of decisions - your decisions about what to focus on, your decisions about what things mean to you, and your decisions about what to do to create the results you desire. He distinguishes between being those who are interested in personal change and those who actually commit to making things happen.
Raise your standards, change your limiting beliefs, change your strategy. Ask yourself empowering questions such as "what is great about this problem?" or "what am I excited about in my life right now?". There is a brilliant chapter on "transformational vocabulary" in which the author suggests that merely by changing the words we regularly use we can profoundly change our reality. As with many of the suggestions in this book, I have tried this and it works, especially if you keep working at it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but the book has far more depth than a cassette, 8 Jan 2002
I had benefitted from reading the book about 5 years ago and thought I would get the audio cassette as a refresher. The cassette feels quite different. You benefit from Tony's enthusiastic tone, stories and exercises but on a single audio cassette (packed as a double!) you will miss out on a lot that the book has to offer.
Get the audio only if you truely cannot make time for the book or as a refresher is my recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a quick note, 30 Aug 1998
By A Customer
Every once and awhile I get on and see what they are saying about Robbins. I must tell you, I am surprised to see so much negativity. But then you have to step back and ask why? I would have to say that most of the negative reviews where because people thought they where going to purchase a book and open it up, then the next morning they would be rich and happy. As ridiculous as it may sound, that is really what they believed deep within themselves. I will tell you that this was the first book I purchased of Robbins. I APPLIED the material to my life and went from a depressed kid that worked in a restaurant to a happy person that now makes six digits trading stock, as my father would say, "not bad for a twenty-two year old". Did Robbins do this, no I did. Robbins did teach me how to apply my attitude and skills to master my financial, physical, time, emotional and relationship skills. If you are looking for a simple, easy, no effort needed, way to change your life, then this is not the book. If you are looking to take your life to another level and are tired of being confused on how to do it, then this is the book. By the way, someone said that he charges a lot for his seminars and that is how he makes money. This is true, but he is the only one that I know that gives a 100%, no questions asked, money back guarantee on everything he sells. So, obviously what he gets for his seminars must be worth it, or he would be out of business by now. Best of luck, Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars A convert, 12 May 2003
P. J. Goodison "Betaroad" (Farnborough, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Usually I find these US style personal improvement ideas at best irritating and at worst utter drivel, however this book has perhaps changed my perceptions. The book itself offers numerous techniques for doingjust as the title says, Awaken the giant within, and the techniques seem to work for me, and I suspect would work for others. Tony Robbins writing style is easy and straightforward and for the most part doesn't take it too seriously, with some notiable exceptions. I would certainly recommend the book although you should note that it in part reads like Robbins is name dropping as much as he can and in others feels like those tacky shopping channel infomercials for Robbins other 'products'. If you can ignore these elements, get reading and see whether that giant can get up from its slumber.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, if you can filter out the garbage., 3 Aug 1997
By A Customer
I found this book had quite a lot of really helpful, informative, useful information. But be careful-Mr. Robbins is a shameless self promoter. If you can tune out all of his talk about himself and his castle in Del Mar, CA, and take only the information that is useful to you, then you can benefit from this book. I read it and am now paging through it again to take notes on the important highlights to refresh my memory. A good book, if you're into self-help.

3.0 out of 5 stars A STEP ABOVE POSITIVE THINKING, 10 Jun 1998
By A Customer
Anthoy Robbins has written a very good book on how to create change rapidly with NAC. It's better than pure positive thinking. I think a lot of the "fat" could have been taken out and the repeated information from Unlimited Power could have been left out. My only major gripe is Robbins constant self promotion and advertising his "Date with Destiny" and other seminars. He also makes it sound like he invented NAC (actually NLP-Neurolinguilstic Programmng) and that his NAC is somehow better and different than NLP. Overall, I think it's a good book, especially for people unfamiliar with NLP and unlike other NLP books is easy to read. I also highy recommend "7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness" and "The Art of Exceptional Living" by Jim Rohn. "NLP-The New Science of Personal Achievement" by NLP Comphrehensive is one of the best pure NLP books & NO FAT OR HYPE!

4.0 out of 5 stars A superb choice, 18 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I first read this and Unlimited Power in the mid 1990's, at the time I was stuck in a rut, up to my eyes in debt, un-employed, no qualifications to speak of, living in a squalid rented room in a squalid house. I had no self esteme and no self confidence. I saw Tony Robbins on a tv show and decided to use my next giro to buy his book. The best buy I ever made. Firstly it gave me hope that there was a worthwhile future for me, secondly it gave me the tools to achieve that future. Since then I have bought my own house, gone to university, got out of debt and set up my own business. I still have many worthwhile goals in life and I am enjoying the challenge of achieving them. I still refer to the books whenever I have a difficult situation, and they still help me out. Why only four stars, its just a bit too American it style, but hey, if you can get past that then the world is literally your oyster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tony Rocks!!!!, 25 Jun 2007
I have just got back home from an Unleash The Power Within (UPW) weekend at the ExCel in Docklands. BOY am I ROOOOOOOOOOOOCKING!!!! My first event and on the first evening I walked on fire with about 11,000 other people. Me... walk on burning hot coals??? Was that really me? Oh yes sir it was.

I am more clear about who I am now than at any point in my life.

And this is a point: The sceptics who say Oh he brainwashes you, it's a cult blah blah. WRONG!! This guy has for the past 30 years been working out what makes humans tick. He came from an impoverished, uninspiring childhood and look at him now. It's not luck, well, not the luck that most people think of.

This book is a superb starting point if you are not happy with your life, you are stressed, negative, depressed about things and you are open-minded enough to explore something new, some tried and tested methods that WILL help you to improve. Another great starting point is Notes from a Friend which is a much smaller book. I first bought Awaken.. 12 years ago and it sat on my shelf unread. What a twit I have been. I studied a couple of his CD sets and built my confidence to go for a job interview last December that carried a salary DOUBLE my income at the time. I got the job and it's the most satisfying job I have ever had. There are other books and numerous CD sets to study. When you are ready, invest in yourself and get to see him at a UPW event.

Life will never be the same again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start-to-finish-recreate-your-life and live it, 25 Mar 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book originally in 1992, and even now I believe that the contents still make sound solid sense, for someone who wishes to completely build, or rebuild their life. The ideas of goal setting, reconditioning, and adaption to NLP techniques are outstanding. What sets Anthony Robbin's book apart from the rest of the guru pack is his committment to contribution to others. The principles of linking your personal changes, goals and gains with not just yourself, but others as well, implies a broad minded, loving way of achieving true congruence. Whatever your religion, culture, creed or mindset, this is the one book that you should take with you on holiday at least once a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's what you make it, 24 April 2008
You will read a lot of conflicting reviews about this book. Most are good, some are OK and then others claim that Robbins is a con-artist hell bent on brainwashing gullible folks to fleece them of their money by selling some limp 'positive thinking' dream.

The truth with many things is in the eye of the beholder. What it isn't is some 'positive thinking' book designed to make you oblivious to life's difficulties and claiming that life is easy. Life isn't easy. This is why so many of us find it challenging. If you choose to read this book from a point of curiosity, you should find it interesting. If you read it intent on doing the exercises with a view to having the courage to make changes in your life, it can be life transforming; - but you must want it to be. It won't just happen.

Robbins makes the point that everything starts with 'personal power', the ability to take consistent action in the direction of your chosen destination. What holds us back in moving our lives forward is our reluctance to move out of our emotional comfort zones. The key reason for this is fear. As adults, we call it stress or angst or any other number of names but it all comes down to the same thing. We are bothered by what others think and say, we do conform, we are scared of getting rejected or of failing so we opt to stay in unhappy relationships, dead-end jobs, adapt to low earnings and be unhappy in the process and avoid risk.

This book will show you some very powerful strategies in taking control of your thinking and starting to move in the right direction. The earlier chapter on the power of decisions is a must. Robbins makes the point that a true decision means no going back, its not a 'should' or a 'ought' but a true emotional conviction. This book will give you the power to make those decisions and the strategies to manage your emotions in the midst of the emotional discomfort you will experience.

Too many people who have not been content with their lives can testify to this books effectivness. I was someone who faced some major challenges in my life which caused me to retreat into my comfort zone. Doing what I knew I should be doing was avoided and procrastination was the order of the day as far as work was concerned. This book gave me the courage to change and made me realise that any challenges or gain we experience in life requires courage and will make us feel uncomfortable.

Its only by experiencing emotional discomfort that we achieve emotional growth. Yes, it can be scary but its all down to whether you want it or not. If you do, this book will help..

Awaken the Giant Within
Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins (Audio CD - 21 Nov 2005)
Used & New from: £20.00