on 8 January 2002
I had benefitted from reading the book about 5 years ago and thought I would get the audio cassette as a refresher. The cassette feels quite different. You benefit from Tony's enthusiastic tone, stories and exercises but on a single audio cassette (packed as a double!) you will miss out on a lot that the book has to offer.
Get the audio only if you truely cannot make time for the book or as a refresher is my recommendation.
on 30 August 1998
Every once and awhile I get on and see what they are saying about Robbins. I must tell you, I am surprised to see so much negativity. But then you have to step back and ask why? I would have to say that most of the negative reviews where because people thought they where going to purchase a book and open it up, then the next morning they would be rich and happy. As ridiculous as it may sound, that is really what they believed deep within themselves. I will tell you that this was the first book I purchased of Robbins. I APPLIED the material to my life and went from a depressed kid that worked in a restaurant to a happy person that now makes six digits trading stock, as my father would say, "not bad for a twenty-two year old". Did Robbins do this, no I did. Robbins did teach me how to apply my attitude and skills to master my financial, physical, time, emotional and relationship skills. If you are looking for a simple, easy, no effort needed, way to change your life, then this is not the book. If you are looking to take your life to another level and are tired of being confused on how to do it, then this is the book. By the way, someone said that he charges a lot for his seminars and that is how he makes money. This is true, but he is the only one that I know that gives a 100%, no questions asked, money back guarantee on everything he sells. So, obviously what he gets for his seminars must be worth it, or he would be out of business by now. Best of luck, Dave
22 comments|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2016
I will give this book a three star. Due to reading a lot of motivational books in the past, the first thing I said to myself when I picked up this book was "this is just going to be another corny motivational book telling me things that I already know about". But after reading it I found out it was a motivational book but it's different because Anthony Robbins explains everything in detail in the phsychological and sociological perspectives whereas other motivational speakers only mostly have financial knowledge but not phsychological knowledge. But the downside about this book is that it takes long to read as it has just over 500 pages and most of the content was pure waffle. Instead of him to explain something simple within a small sentence, he will exaggerate the whole point with uneccesary big words like for example "the most strenuous way you could achieve your most instantaneous level of success is by thinking in the most impactful and prominent manner without the lack of complacency." Sometimes what he says has no meaning. Or he would uneccesarily repeat things like "you either win or lose, you either succeed or fail, you either make a run or take the highway, you either love or does but whatever decision you make is in the palm of your hands. It's very annoying having to read just to go through s whole load of nonsense. A lot of authors do this to make you feel like you're buying a big sophisticated book.
on 14 July 2001
An absolutely incredible quantity and quality of self-improvement strategies are packed into this inspirational book! Robbins' intensity and commitment almost physically jump out at the reader, urging you to wake up, take control and massively improve the quality of your life and those around you. I bought this 5 or 6 years ago and continue to dip into it every so often to shake myself up a bit. Just about every page contains an immediately applicable suggestion or strategy for changing your life for the better.
Is it all as straightforward as he describes? My view would be yes... and no! Sometimes no amount of focusing and mind control can change some of our deep-rooted patterns? But this book is still brilliant. Many of the ideas here have improved my life.
Some of the ideas and techniques are very simple, some far more complicated. The concentrated power of the writing is sustained throughout as Robbins continuously emphasizes the need to commit to lasting change. Early on he suggests the importance of decisions - your decisions about what to focus on, your decisions about what things mean to you, and your decisions about what to do to create the results you desire. He distinguishes between being those who are interested in personal change and those who actually commit to making things happen.
Raise your standards, change your limiting beliefs, change your strategy. Ask yourself empowering questions such as "what is great about this problem?" or "what am I excited about in my life right now?". There is a brilliant chapter on "transformational vocabulary" in which the author suggests that merely by changing the words we regularly use we can profoundly change our reality. As with many of the suggestions in this book, I have tried this and it works, especially if you keep working at it.
0Comment|129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2004
I first read this and Unlimited Power in the mid 1990's, at the time I was stuck in a rut, up to my eyes in debt, un-employed, no qualifications to speak of, living in a squalid rented room in a squalid house. I had no self esteme and no self confidence. I saw Tony Robbins on a tv show and decided to use my next giro to buy his book. The best buy I ever made. Firstly it gave me hope that there was a worthwhile future for me, secondly it gave me the tools to achieve that future. Since then I have bought my own house, gone to university, got out of debt and set up my own business. I still have many worthwhile goals in life and I am enjoying the challenge of achieving them. I still refer to the books whenever I have a difficult situation, and they still help me out. Why only four stars, its just a bit too American it style, but hey, if you can get past that then the world is literally your oyster.
on 16 June 2014
Anthony Robbins starts off the book with a view that we can achieve anything we dream of, if we really want to. His aim in the book is to provide tools for doing just that. After outlining the importance of making decisions and the concept that we all move toward pleasure or away from pain, the first part of the book goes through such tools and concepts. These include: beliefs, Neuro-Associative Conditioning, focus and sub-modalities, questions, vocabulary, metaphors, the guidance of emotions, and goals. Part two is about more en bloc changes such as values, identity and references. Part three is call to arms, focusing on a different part of life each day for seven days, Robbins urging you to practise what you have learnt. Part four is a look at the impact one person can have.

The book is great because it provides you with so many tools to use. Not only this, but Robbins' knowledge and zeal is brimming forth on each page. There are numerous anecdotes and stories which make the book even more interesting and even more inspirational. Just reading it makes you feel confident about being more successful, makes you more passionate about life, and makes you want to contribute to others.

However, there are two reservations I had. The first is that, although Robbins provides you with a multitude of tools, at times it feels like he is just throwing them out there, to show what you can change but not necessarily how to do so. Obviously, he gives you exercises, but at times makes references to his seminars or his other book 'Unlimited Power' as places where these tools would be found in a more complete form, which comes across as strong and unnecessary marketing. It would also have been nice to have a systematic program, perhaps focusing on each tool separately or combined as a program, something which the Ten Day Challenge and Part three touched on.

That said, the huge wisdom, experience and potential for growth contained in this book makes it a fantastic and educative read, and I would recommend it to someone interested in self-help.
on 25 June 2007
I have just got back home from an Unleash The Power Within (UPW) weekend at the ExCel in Docklands. BOY am I ROOOOOOOOOOOOCKING!!!! My first event and on the first evening I walked on fire with about 11,000 other people. Me... walk on burning hot coals??? Was that really me? Oh yes sir it was.

I am more clear about who I am now than at any point in my life.

And this is a point: The sceptics who say Oh he brainwashes you, it's a cult blah blah. WRONG!! This guy has for the past 30 years been working out what makes humans tick. He came from an impoverished, uninspiring childhood and look at him now. It's not luck, well, not the luck that most people think of.

This book is a superb starting point if you are not happy with your life, you are stressed, negative, depressed about things and you are open-minded enough to explore something new, some tried and tested methods that WILL help you to improve. Another great starting point is Notes from a Friend which is a much smaller book. I first bought Awaken.. 12 years ago and it sat on my shelf unread. What a twit I have been. I studied a couple of his CD sets and built my confidence to go for a job interview last December that carried a salary DOUBLE my income at the time. I got the job and it's the most satisfying job I have ever had. There are other books and numerous CD sets to study. When you are ready, invest in yourself and get to see him at a UPW event.

Life will never be the same again!!!
on 24 April 2008
You will read a lot of conflicting reviews about this book. Most are good, some are OK and then others claim that Robbins is a con-artist hell bent on brainwashing gullible folks to fleece them of their money by selling some limp 'positive thinking' dream.

The truth with many things is in the eye of the beholder. What it isn't is some 'positive thinking' book designed to make you oblivious to life's difficulties and claiming that life is easy. Life isn't easy. This is why so many of us find it challenging. If you choose to read this book from a point of curiosity, you should find it interesting. If you read it intent on doing the exercises with a view to having the courage to make changes in your life, it can be life transforming; - but you must want it to be. It won't just happen.

Robbins makes the point that everything starts with 'personal power', the ability to take consistent action in the direction of your chosen destination. What holds us back in moving our lives forward is our reluctance to move out of our emotional comfort zones. The key reason for this is fear. As adults, we call it stress or angst or any other number of names but it all comes down to the same thing. We are bothered by what others think and say, we do conform, we are scared of getting rejected or of failing so we opt to stay in unhappy relationships, dead-end jobs, adapt to low earnings and be unhappy in the process and avoid risk.

This book will show you some very powerful strategies in taking control of your thinking and starting to move in the right direction. The earlier chapter on the power of decisions is a must. Robbins makes the point that a true decision means no going back, its not a 'should' or a 'ought' but a true emotional conviction. This book will give you the power to make those decisions and the strategies to manage your emotions in the midst of the emotional discomfort you will experience.

Too many people who have not been content with their lives can testify to this books effectivness. I was someone who faced some major challenges in my life which caused me to retreat into my comfort zone. Doing what I knew I should be doing was avoided and procrastination was the order of the day as far as work was concerned. This book gave me the courage to change and made me realise that any challenges or gain we experience in life requires courage and will make us feel uncomfortable.

Its only by experiencing emotional discomfort that we achieve emotional growth. Yes, it can be scary but its all down to whether you want it or not. If you do, this book will help..
on 10 June 1998
Anthoy Robbins has written a very good book on how to create change rapidly with NAC. It's better than pure positive thinking. I think a lot of the "fat" could have been taken out and the repeated information from Unlimited Power could have been left out. My only major gripe is Robbins constant self promotion and advertising his "Date with Destiny" and other seminars. He also makes it sound like he invented NAC (actually NLP-Neurolinguilstic Programmng) and that his NAC is somehow better and different than NLP. Overall, I think it's a good book, especially for people unfamiliar with NLP and unlike other NLP books is easy to read. I also highy recommend "7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness" and "The Art of Exceptional Living" by Jim Rohn. "NLP-The New Science of Personal Achievement" by NLP Comphrehensive is one of the best pure NLP books & NO FAT OR HYPE!
on 30 April 2006
I am much less depressed, no longer on medication, my earnings have substantially increased, bexause I was able to motivate myself to pass professional exams. I am able to motivate myself much more easily by applying the teachings in this book.

I did it by copying out the book, (typing actually,) and doing all the exercises in it. the process took nine months, but was well worth it. the book gives you loads of tools to make your life happier, more motivated and better. I am into Covey now, but that was only because Robbins suggests you read deeply.

In the foreward, Dr Covan, the chief psychologist of Bellevue hospital says, that if more people read the book, and applied its teachings, many of his colleagues would be out of work, i agree with that.

If there is only one book you buy this year buy this one.