5.0 out of 5 stars Positive Thinking = Positive Life
It's such a simple and effective concept, that positive thinking creates a positive life, yet hard to do at times- which is a good reason alone to read this book.

Published on 4 Dec 2009 by Sarah

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 18 Feb 2009 by Mr. L. South

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive Thinking = Positive Life, 4 Dec 2009

Most everything we accomplish each day starts out as a thought. Thoughts flash across our minds each day, all day long, and directly influence how we feel and what we do. So, if you spend your day thinking about negative things, expect to feel bad. On the other hand, if you spend your day concentrating on positive things, good things will happen. And that's basically the purposeand premise of this book- to change your thinking for the better, which in turn will influences your life. The book will "reset your sights" so to speak.

Each chapter of the book tackles important life issues, such as worrying, creating happiness, having energy, etc. Examples of the principles abound, and each chapter ends with a nice summary.

An inspiring and entertaining read, I recommend this book to anyone who needs a little nudge in the direction of positive thinking. Know though, that there is a definite religious tone throughout the book, which could bother some. Those looking for something a little more in the physical rather than cognitive realm to pick you up, might be better off with a book like Exercise Beats Depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER, 6 Mar 1999
By A Customer
The best thing you will ever do in life is to read this book.I read it when I was a clild of 12 years old, had I not I do not know where I would be today. I am now 30 and saw somebody I loved go through realy bad times. I gave it to her for a christmas present. Now she laughts again, when I was certain all was gone. The are no word to express my thanks. read it .If you see somebody in need give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to dip into, 10 Aug 2010
An interesting read based on Christian faith. I believe the book helps those who already have some basic Christian beliefs. It helps to focus on particular Bible verses which promote positive thinking. It also gives numerous examples which reinforce the power of prayer. I found it an uplifting book with guidance to developing a positive attitude and confidence.It is a book that one can read random chapters of at any time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible! Monumental influence to my life, 4 April 2000
I heard about this book on the radio. Since then I have recommended it to several people. And I am about to buy another copy for a relative. The audio is clear and deals with everyday life. It has helped me think about life in a different way. I unconditionally recommend the book/audio

4.0 out of 5 stars Peale's classic still has a message to deliver, 11 Dec 2006
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you are looking for a guide to faith-based self-improvement, this book is, well, the bible. In one of the earliest contemporary self-help books, famed clergyman Norman Vincent Peale explains how you can overcome any obstacle, internal or external, through the dynamic combination of the "science of faith" with psychological counseling and modern medicine. He teaches you how to banish the negative thoughts that cause fear and failure, and replace them with "the power of positive thinking." In this warm, faith-based book, first published 1952, he teaches readers his approach to solving problems and accepting yourself. He advocates using the New Testament and prayer to attain peace, happiness, love and success. The catch is, you must be one of the faithful to take full advantage of Peale's Christian teachings. His classic bestseller is more than a warm, if slightly quaint, self-help book. It's a cultural icon, filled with old-time religion and practical examples. We recommend it as a touchstone in this genre. If you want to walk this path, Peale got here first. In fact, many of today's self-development bestsellers have their roots in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to re-discover my faith, 8 Feb 2011
I bought this book for three reasons. The first reason is because it featured in '50 self-help classics' by Tom Butler-Bowdon and having read many self-help books which all emphasise the importance of positive thinking, I was interested in reading one of the most famous and best-selling books on the topic.

The second reason is because I watched a documentary on the billionaire Donald Trump and discovered that Norman Vincent Peale was actually his preacher in New York!

The final reason which persuaded me to finally buy the book is when I watched another documentary, a BBC one, called 'the American Dream.' A priest gave an interview for the documentary explaining how the principles in the book had inspired him to achieve an olympic medal, I think it was for pole vaulting, but I cannot remember for sure!

In terms of the positive thinking aspects of the book, I did not really learn anything that was of any significant difference from what I had already learnt from other self-help books. The one way in which the book did help me however was by helping me to re-discover my faith.

The author of the book was a preacher and he often cites bible passages which he recommends that people memorise, passages such as: 'I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me' and 'according to your faith be it unto you.' I am usually very sceptical and reluctant to try out exercises such as these which are proposed in self-help books (which I suppose defeats the purpose of reading them!) but I gave it a shot and it has really helped me.

I use to go to church regularly but limited my worship to the church service. It wasn't until I read this book that I realised faith could be applied on a daily basis and to anything. I now use some of those recommended verses to empower my thinking and it has helped me not only in my studies but in my physical exercise too. I have definitely noticed an increase in performance and I feel less stressed. The book actually inspired me to buy a copy of the bible again after I gave my last one away. I had never really thought of the bible as a self-help book before but that's exactly what it is and there are some really great lessons and verses in there which can benefit anyone, regardless of their beliefs.

If you don't believe in God then this book probably isn't for you due to the heavy religious content but some people prefer to think of it as a 'power of the universe' or 'flow'. Either way positive thinking is a sound concept. Gandhi said 'if you can change your thoughts, you can change the world.' I use to be very negative and pessimistic but I have managed to re-condition my mind to thinking more optimistically through reading books like this and it has definitely changed my life for the better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Feb 2009
Mr. L. South (Birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power of Positive Thinking (Audio CD)
From the description of the book it wasn't clear exactly how the author planned to persuade you think more positively. After getting a few chapters in I was surprised that the book has religious overtones. Once I got to the point where religious mantras were being used I stopped listening. I'm not a religious person and have no interest in this sort of thing so I feel I've wasted a lot of money on this cd. If you are open to Christian teachings then I'm sure it's great but if not then do not buy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dont bother with this book, 9 Mar 2011
I bought this book after i read some quotes from the author, Normal V Peale does come out with some nice little quotes from time to time but this book is a dishappoinment.

Firstly, if you're a non-christian you wont appreciate this book because its basicly a sermon. Although im a Christian myself Mr Peales idea of helping someone is putting his hand on their head, feeling the energy from God and praying "Dear Jesus..." (he does this many times in the book to people he claims he's helped. Oh, yes, another thing is the people he mentions dont have names. It's always "a man i met", "a prominent scientist" or "an influential man"... i cant help thinking that these claims are unfounded and hard to substantiate.

Secondly, littered throughout the book are things like "you live in America, the greatest country in the world... another reason to be happy" and "no one abhors communism more than i do..." - although the mans entitles to his own opinion, as a religios teacher surely he should be neutral in world affairs and rely on God?

I got 20 pages in, closed the book and dropped it into my local charity shop.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK LIFTED ME UP FROM A VERY DARK PLACE, 31 Mar 2013
Mrs. Jane White (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
THIS BOOK WAS GIVEN TO ME TO READ BY SOMEONE WHO KNEW I WAS HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME, THEY THOUGHT IT MIGHT HELP ME. I RELUCTANTLY OPENED THE BOOK AND STARTED TO READ IT AND I JUST COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN. FINISHING THE BOOK WAS A REAL WRENCH, THE AUTHER HAD BECOME A FRIEND THROUGH THE WORDS HE HAD WRITTEN. IT WAS AS THOUGH THE BOOK HAD BEEN WRITTEN FOR ME. READ THIS BOOK IF YOU DESPERATELY NEED LIFTING UP FROM WHATEVER HAS CAUSED YOU TO FALL DOWN.
THANKYOU NORMAN VINCENT PEALE.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected!!!!, 10 Sep 2010
I don't usually do reviews on books i have purchased from Amazon but i felt the need to put pen to paper (so to speak) about this book.

I was looking for some positive thinking and inspiration tips and this book seemed to have all that and more. Unfortunately, when i started to read it i discovered that really it should be titled as a book about God and reglious beliefs.

Whilst i am Catholic and enjoy my strong sense of belief and faith, i found this book to be a little on the 'ramming down your throat' side. The author is obviously a very very strong believer in faith and feels that God has the answers to all our problems. Whilst i don't doubt that he has, i did not buy this book to for that purpose. Otherwise i would have bought a copy of the Catholic Bible.

Unless you want your faith in God renewed, i would not recommend purchasing this book for the use of increasing your positive thinking resources.

The Power of Positive Thinking
The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale (Audio CD - 18 Sep 2006)
10.99