on 8 July 2013
Coming from someone who is learning my mother's native tongue of Cantonese, it seems pretty good in terms of pronunciation of tones and common phrases they speak. However if you're like me who prefers some book or text to follow along with the pinyin and Chinese traditional characters for a more effective learning, then this isn't sufficient for the learning student. This is only good for those who learn better through audio or need a good listening CD, as they have natives speaking fluently and helps you to master the whopping seven tones in Cantonese! Another thing which kind of confused me was some of the phrases they used. For example for the phrase 'I can understand' the CD says 'ngoh sik teng' but both my mum and the lonely planet book use 'ngoh ming baak'? Either way, there will always be various ways of saying something... so don't be surprise of a phrase you've not heard of! XD
Another good resource is CantoneseClass101.com where they have some good youtube videos as well as podcasts.
on 28 October 2002
After trying a number of books, including the legondary (R, Bruce: Speaking Cantonesse) and having limited sucess, including mixed responses from Cantonese folk. I descided it was time to purchase a compact disc. Not only did i find this collection of 8 lessons over 4 CDs value for money, they were also stimulating, helpful and fruitful. Instead of leaving a lesson dissillusioned, one feels eager to learn more. Books cannot teach you the correct pronounciation or tones and this helps you to get it spot on.
Although the American accent can put you off at times, the course is well worth the money if you are English speaking and are serious about learning Cantonese.
on 11 December 2014
Very practical topics -- much more practical, I found, than Rosetta Stone (which is how I studied Mandarin when I began). By lesson 7 you're learning how to ask if someone wants to come back to your place for a drink. :-)

Also found the coverage of pronunciation very good. However, I found their insistence on having no writing a minus. I realize that romanizations can throw people off if they're trying to read them like English; but if you realize that it's *not* English, then a good phonetic representation is a really big boon when trying to make sense out of a language, and when trying to review. Additionally, since I already know a lot of Mandarin characters, it would have been useful to have the Cantonese characters, so that I could match up the words that are meant to be the same.

Overall a very good buy though. I went on to buy lessons 9-30 off their website (mp3 format), and I'm sad that's all they have!
on 4 August 2010
Great product !!
i learnt soo much, im not good at keeping things in my head but this product helps me learn easily
on 4 May 2013
I found this way of learning ideal for myself, it was a bit too basic for myself as I already know a little bit but not enough to have a conversation. I have tried many other CD learning techniques and the Pimsleur way I have found that I have learned more about word order. It is a great way of learning for myself and I will definitely order the complete course.
on 17 March 2016
I am a Chinese adoptee who is learning my native language and it is fantastic, money well spent! Within the first 30 minutes I learned so much and it isn't tedious at all!
on 6 November 2015
Good way to learn Cantonese, or any language. Enjoying the first CD. Fast delivery.
on 19 November 2015