5.0 out of 5 stars Stuff dreams are made of.
As a biker I can safely say this book describes a bikers dream come true. To ride around the world with a very healthy budget and all the toys that come with money/sponsorship. The book really gets over the difficulties endured and how much both Charly & Ewan missed their family. Some of it will make you laugh out loud or bring a lump to your throat. They are both keen...
Published on 3 Dec 2004 by StuWG

2.0 out of 5 stars Round and around and around
I was looking forward to hearing about someone elses adventure after recently completing a round-the-world backpacking journey myself. Whilst the other reviews here seem to be giving full marks, I must be a bit more reserved with my praise.
I envy there journey, which does sound amazing, and I know how high the highs, and how low the lows can be during these...
Published on 11 Aug 2005 by Simon Williams author of Rich ...

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Act, don't write!, 10 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Long Way Round (Hardcover)
I like a lot of Ewan McGregor's acting, but frankly his writing is a pile of cr*p. Likewise Charley Boorman. They basically use a lot of money to buy a lot of vehicles and travel around the world with a huge support team, GPS, etc. Having recently read 'Running with the Moon' by Jonny Bilby (a must-read!), this all seems very lame. On top of this, every time the going gets tough they complain like crazy, and they complain even when it's going well. The constant "f***ing this and f***ing that" is very irritating - we know that some people swear but to read it in every sentence is not very nice.
I think the main problem though is that they are both terrible writers. I quote (from memory so it may not be word-perfect): "I had never seen the Milky Way so clearly before, it looked like smeary fairy lights.". Nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not that adventurous then..., 5 April 2008
N. Batcheler (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round (Paperback)
Oh dear. I'd put off reading this book for some time as I have to admit to not being a huge fan of Ewan McGregor, but still I thought I'd give it a go hopefully with an open mind. Oh dear. The whole venture seemed like a good idea, taking off on a couple of bikes, just you and a mate, for a few months of enjoyable riding through some fascinating places. Well that's what I thought they were doing...turned out there were three on three bikes (the third being a cameraman), two support vehicles with a couple of producers, various fixers and even at one point a doctor! And then to have the gall to whinge and whine about the media attention, how the essential spirit of the trip was compromised by the numbers of people involved, I mean really! Surely Mr McGregor has the funds to buy a couple of bikes and slope off quietly with a mate for a while, but of course then there wouldn't be any media attention to soothe the ego - so they chose to make money out of the venture and therefore complicate it, and then whinge about it to boot. Get over yourselves!! I see they've repeated the formula with another trip across Africa, plainly they needed to make some more cash. I don't think I'll bother reading that one and looking at the reviews here it hasn't gone down too well generally. By the way I do know what I'm talking about as I rode from London to Cape Town, just me and a mate on two bikes with little cash, had a fantastic time and didn't burst into tears once...

1.0 out of 5 stars Rich boyz flaunt their toyz, 11 Dec 2004
BS (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Long Way Round (Hardcover)
Two actors use their media clout to put together an all expenses paid motorbike trip round the world with back-to-back TV, DVD and book deals to soften the pain.
Much of the book is spent moaning about the media interest attracted by their travelling circus. Just a word lads - if you want to avoid the media don't travel in a convoy including two 4WD support vehicles plus support motor-bike,and a crew including personal doctors and minders, and don't use autographed Star Wars pictures to bribe your way through Siberia.
When they are not whining about the media spotlight they are indulging in post-Beckhamesque slobbering over their families, (yea, we all do it, but not in public please, and don't charge us for it). All this is are punctuated generously with all the brands and acronyms that rich guys can't travel without, BMW, GPS, i-Pod, etc etc. There is not one iota of historical information or insight into the cultures and countries they plough through with their convoy of infernal combustion engines.

If they weren't media figures the journey would never have been made, and this book would never have been written. This is celebrity travel tosh at its worst.

If you are thinking of parting with folding for it (fortunately I didn't, the wonderful Norfolk County Council Library Service supplied it) I implore you to spend the money instead on Patrick Leigh Fermor's two definitive volumes of travel writing, A Time of Gifts and Between the Woods and the Water, and you'll even have enough left for a pint to celebrate not swelling Messrs McGregor's and Boorman already bulging bank accounts.

5.0 out of 5 stars True insight into the journey, 31 July 2005
Brian Woodward (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round (Paperback)
I caught one of their episodes first as a repeat on Sky Travel, bought the DVD but felt there was a lot about their personal journeys missing.
You get tonnes more in the book and the style of both of these guys is very approachable and it's an honour to have shared their dream if only second hand.
Read this and read Jupiters Travels with Ted Simon to see that the world isn't as bad a place as you thought and it's ok (with a little thought) to go way off the beaten track for some R&R from your busy lives.
Good luck and never try and catch a heavy falling bike!

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that grabs you and takes you there!!!, 4 Jan 2006
C M Barker (Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round (Paperback)
I have never rode a motorbike and i might never, they scare me. This book took travel writing to another level!! I had missed them on TV but have just bought it on DVD. This book was one that i could not put down i felt like i was travelling with them and could not wait for the next problem to arise along the way. It was light, well written, funny and easy to read. Well done Ewan and Charlie!! When is the next one out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent travel book!, 15 Sep 2005
Mr. P. C. Mansell "sirstifler" (Wolverhampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Way Round (Paperback)
This book is an excellent read, the way in which Ewan and Charley alternate between narrating is a good idea, as the change of viewpoint keeps hold of the readers attention. It is often hard to understand the magnitude of the trip, but McGregor and Boorman really make the places in the book come alive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-obsessed egocentric whingeing, 28 Nov 2007
This review is from: Long Way Round (Hardcover)
This is my first ever review but I just HAD to comment on this book as it is by far the worst thing I've read all year ... in fact probably in the last 5 years ... and I read a lot! Could they take themselves any more seriously? It's not an attempt to break a record. They're not raising money for charity. They're not doing anything that hasn't been done before. They're two friends with enough cash to have an extended holiday roughing it on bikes. I have no problem with that and thought it would be an entertaining read but please guys try to take yourselves a LITTLE less seriously, try to ENJOY the trip a little more (after all that's why you went isn't it - there's no higher purpose here) and lighten up on the angst and introspection!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 2 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Long Way Round (Hardcover)
This is one of the best books i have read from the moment i started reading it i felt excited for them and couldnt put the book down. I have enjoyed every moment of the book and it has given me inspiration to do something similar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD, good book., 9 Jan 2008
This review is from: Long Way Round (Paperback)
Good book, more details than in the DVD about disagreements etc, so worth a read.

Read 'One Man Caravan'...the first m'bike trip round the world in the 1930's...alone, unsupported, on an adapted road bike,. True adventure and well written.

and try 'First Overland'...in landrovers to Singapore via the Burma Road.

5.0 out of 5 stars read the book, now want the film, 21 Dec 2005
This review is from: Long Way Round (Paperback)
I bought this book on a whim, since I got it I couldnt put it down, both the guys give a great insight to some of the worlds unseen or unheard of areas. I now have pursueded my wife to buy me the DVD of it for xmas. Go buy it !!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Long Way Round
Long Way Round by Charley Boorman (Hardcover - 18 Oct 2004)
Used & New from: £0.82