5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars

Published on 11 Jan 2006 by sullins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars So Bad I Threw It Away, 11 Jan 2006
This review is from: Blood Storm (Paperback)
I'm a paperback junkie and I've never read a book this bad. I threw it away in a public trash can before I got a third into it because I couldn't take any more, and that was knowing that I was out of books. And I've never thrown a book away, much less not made an honest attempt to finish a book regardless of quality. Mainly the plot was just so completely unbelievable - not really because it was far fetched but because the author made a zero effort. Really - are we to expect that the head of British SIS commands a four person office (yes only four people in his organization) and this comprises one fifth of the entire British security force? And an entire nation is about to be swept into an entire police state scheme by three people that are themselves so stupid that they keep noticing over and over again that the door to their "inner sanctum" is ajar and people are listening in, but they never think to actually lock the door during subsequent sensitive scheming conversations (when again it is left ajar). I kept picking it up literally because I had not been to a book store and didn't have any other books to read - and was forced to keep turning pages - really just skipping whole sections trying to see if it would get better, but it didn't. If I had read these reviews you couldn't have paid me to take the book off your hands.

1.0 out of 5 stars A truly remarkable event in publishing history, 21 Jan 2008
D. Lewis-Smith (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Storm (Paperback)
Want a book set in 2004 where Britain's top intelligence team seem to have only one mobile phone between them and haven't yet heard of SatNav? Check.

Want a book where the baddies are a bizarre cabal - who go around seemingly calling them The Cabal and who call their chief planner the...wait for it....Planner - made up of three brothers who also happen to be junior government ministers with the congenital inability to close a door properly that another reviewer has mentioned? Check.

Want a book where the aforementioned lo-fi spooks manage to have a private war with these government ministers, which includes blowing up a bus-load of Slovaks outside Aix-en-Provence and destroying a prison in a village in darkest Dorset - where the residents are straight out of Central Ooh Arr Casting - without two governments noticing? Check.

Forbes has written some cracking yarns - Leader and the Damned, Year of the Golden Ape, some of the early Newman/Tweed stories. But this story is just plain silly. Barking mad, to be honest - I was left wondering if there was a cunning double-bluff going on here: rather than being a rather rubbish thriller, this was a clever post-modern deconstruction of the thriller genre, laying bare the sheer banality. Imagine Italo Calvino spoofing Freddie Forsyth, or having Alan Partridge be the next James Bond.

Or perhaps not. Perhaps it is really this bad, and I'm just trying to class it as "ironic" that I spent four hours reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst books I have ever read, 20 Aug 2008
Mrs. V. Bradley "bookaholic" (Kidderminster, Worcs., England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blood Storm (Paperback)
I have read a number of Colin Forbes books in the past, but this one is the absolute pits!! It is complete and utter rubbish from the first word to the last. Yes - I did actually read it because I hoped, mistakenly, that it would improve - needless to say it didn't. So many improbable things happened at a fiendishly fast pace I couldn't believe my eyes. As for his invention of a place called Walkhampton in the Midlands it was pathetic and made the book even more laughable - what's wrong with using Wolverhampton for goodness sake. I have passed this book on to a neighbour just to see what he thinks of it. Ideally I would have liked to have given the book no stars it is so bad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Rubbish, 4 Nov 2011
This review is from: Blood Storm (Hardcover)
The editor who published this rubbish either didn't read it or should be given a different job with nothing to do with books. There is nothing plausible in the book, and set sometime in the future it certainly is not. Everything happens so conveniently and there are no real twists to keep you intrigued. I realised early on that this book was terrible but still waded on till the end, but I just wasted a few hours of my life doing so. Won't be reading any more Colin Forbes based on this experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tripe, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Blood Storm (Hardcover)
I read this novel with mounting disbelief. At times, I suspected it must be a parody. However, it seemed it was serious, part of a continuing drama, with the same central characters, a detective and his close knit `team', fighting evil in its many guises.

The writing is competent, along with the descriptive passages. The plot is absurd, but passably so. However, the storyline, as it unfolds, and the banter and interaction of the characters, is so laboured, and at times so ludicrous, it beggars belief.

The detective, Tweed, and his versatile companions, are all eminently likeable; but, unfortunately, they lack both common sense and any evident intelligence, despite being held in universally high regard, and routinely praised, by everyone they come in contact with. Up against a government plan to extend its control over state security, and a particularly nasty murderer on the loose, they routinely go their separate ways to pay visits, make inquiries and `interview' suspects, finding out the sorts of mundane detail available to anyone, anywhere - names, addresses, phone numbers - and then congregate in a self congratulatory group, behaving as if they had done something extraordinarily daring.

Time and again, they mount complex operations, that have no discernible purpose, and achieve nothing. An example of this occurs when the team sends itself to the South of France, travelling under false names and avoiding airport security through the use of bribes and influence. Once there, there they are issued with weapons by their local agent, sleep, eat and drink at great expense, are ferried around, encounter disgruntled natives, and are then driven to Paris, where they hand their weapons back and catch the train home.

Perhaps the most sublime incident involves a crook explaining to his accomplice what he plans to do with one of the team, when he catches her. In a warehouse he frequents is a trapdoor covering a brick lined shaft that drops directly into the Thames. The villain plans to tie a scarf around his captive's neck, followed by a rope with a frayed end, and hang her down the shaft. His reasoning is that when the frayed end works its way loose, she will drop into the water, and get swept away; and when her drowned body is recovered, there will be no marks on the neck, thanks to the scarf, and she will be assumed to have drowned.

His accomplish suggests this sounds rather complex, implying if she was simply dropped down the shaft she would drown anyway; but his doubts are subjected to withering scorn - far too simple an alternative for an author who specialises in making much of nothing.

It is difficult to convey the imbecilic nature of the way the various characters operate, and interact, as they drag this story to its sorry conclusion. Time without number, a piece of artless buffoonery is praised as if it was subterfuge of the highest order. I still find it hard to believe this is not a deliberate parody.

1.0 out of 5 stars Struggled to finish this...., 17 July 2007
This review is from: Blood Storm (Paperback)
My usual test of a decent read for me let me down once again with this book. If the first page grabs me, it's usually good for me, but not with this one!

Fast moving.....no....definitely NOT. Slow, boring and a total struggle to force myself to stick it out to the bitter end...YES.

I'd not read any Colin Forbes books before this but I won't just write him off because of this one bad book, as his style wasn't that bad, just the plot really. Maybe I'll give him another chance with one of his other books that has much better reviews.

Couldn't bring myself to throw it in the rubbish before I'd finished though as another previewer did as I'm a bit like a dog with a bone, hence my carrying on regardless. BUT I shan't be raving about this to friends and family who also enjoy thrillers, not unless they're suffering with insomnia? Might be a good cure?

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Blood Storm (Paperback)
The book was a entertaining read, Not one of his best. Not one I would read twice, But still was a good read, would recommend but don't expect to be riveted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Blood Storm (Hardcover)
So very sorry to learn from the front of this book that Colin Forbes had died. He was a splendid thriller writer who i will miss. However, as with The Main Chance & The Savage Gorge, I really did not think that this came up to his previous standards. As with the others not quite sure why but there seemed to be some thread or other 'missing' from all three.

1.0 out of 5 stars It reads like a tabloid!, 29 Sep 2007
Jeremy Burgess (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Storm (Paperback)
I'm stuck between being speechless on one hand and feeling I review this book to the world on the other.

Imagine a time when you nip out to the barber on a Saturday morning to grab a quick trim. You are in a queue so you pick up the paper, The Sun. There is a headline (not a great one but it draws you in), it's supposed to be real journalism, the stories are even allegedly true; then at some point you realise that in fact there is no substance, no grammar and only 139 words in the vocabulary!

I was given Blood Storm and another Forbes book as a present. The 2 for 1 offer seemed a good idea. Perhaps in retrospect that this was the only way to sell the book. The plot is so thin, so unbelievable and has so many holes.

The only two books I have ever started to read and not managed to finish are the Bible and the Oxford English. I can't let this one get the better of me!

The real test I suppose is whether I can even be bothered to start the second book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy if you must, 22 Jan 2005
a reader in England (kendal, cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Storm (Paperback)
Is this supposed to be fantasy or what? The story is poor. It is poorly written. Supposedly three junior government ministers are setting up a secret police force. They have one office between them and also sit at a 'strange three sided desk'. They have one secretary between them. I am not giving anything away as this appears in the first chapter.It has been badly proof read. An old ford becomes a citroen becomes a ford in one paragraph.
If this is Forbes at his best then his publishers should drop him!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blood Storm
Blood Storm by Colin Forbes (Paperback - 5 Sep 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01