5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book - a delight to read!
Published on 4 Oct 2006 by hmdnyc

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many puns spoil the broth
I have read two Matt Dunn novels and they are both readable and engaging so that's good isn't it? I just feel that he simply creates scenes and characters for his awful puns. They are excessive and irritating and the novel ends up getting on my nerves. Less puns more story more heart. It's not all about the one liners. No pun intended.
Published 14 months ago by Amani

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book - a delight to read!, 4 Oct 2006
hmdnyc (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
This is a great book that I recommend to all, both male and female readers. It is very witty and so funny that I laughed out loud constantly and yet amidst the comedy are some really tender & poignant bits - the perfect mix. The characters are instantly likeable, you really warm to them from the very first page. I could not put this book down and read it from cover to cover in one sitting. Always the sign of a good book - that you can't wait to finish it only to find yourself disappointed when there is no more to read! I bought this on the strength of the authors first book, Best Man which was also very funny and an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
This was one of the best books I have ever read! If a book can you make you laugh out loud it's worth more than anything money can buy! What a film this would make as the humour is so visual! Big Ed is in all of us and I for one felt I should follow his example and become fitter, leaner and less complacent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Mar 2007
D. E. Rattray (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
This was an excellent book that is quite funny and always keeps your attention. Edward has just been partially dumped by his long-time girlfriend- Jane. She's given him three weeks to think about things and, under the tutorship of his best mate Dan, loses weight, veneers his teeth, gets a personal trainer etc. During his long relationship with Jane he's let himself go. During his three months the author delves into reasons and mostly concerns himself with getting in shape to pull. There are the nice people, like bargirl Wendy and Edward, who want to be honest and respectful, and the not-so-nice Dans. How looks orientated are women? Actions speak louder than words and the author does show that looks are SO important to women (short term, for pulling) but does also criticize poor morals and principals in the form of over-the-top Dan. You get the impression that the author and Edward would like the world to be as politically correct as possible but, when push comes to shove, women don't respect and want these needy and nice men, especially if they don't have the looks or the mini-coopers. Mat Dunn does an excellent job of showing how delluded women and nice men are about their own wants. You can talk about looks and money not being important but when you find yourself 'out there' you, like Edward, will have to move the goalposts to win. There's loads of laugh-out-loud bits in the book, cracking one liners, and slowly but surely, the author wins you round to Dans way of thinking by the end. I will be pushing this book onto my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 11 Dec 2006
J. Gilbert (worksop, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
I bought this book by chance and by god I'm glad I did! The storyline, the trueness to real life, I literally couldnt put this book down from start to finish! Laughing my head off every few pages, I'm now ordering Best Man!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 31 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
This book is fabulous. The characters are warm and instantly likeable and the storyline is simple but Dunn has the ability to make every day goings on, hilarious.

It's quite rare for a male author to show such understanding of females.

Although it's quite a light hearted story, it did make me think about my own relationship - I'm off to Tibet tomorrow!

A really great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick Lit for blokes, 31 Oct 2006
Simon Tuck (London,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
Our flatmate likes reading chick lit books, and in absence of any other reading material I picked one up. This is Chick lit from a blokes perspective. I read all sorts of books, and this is the perfect release if I've just read something a bit involved/heavy/complicated. It's a laugh a minute and this stuff really happens! Lovely light reading with an easy to follow plot and a great ending. I think what really bonded me to this book was that my brother went to uni in Brighton, and lived in the area it's set in. I've now bought his other book on the strength of this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laughs for all, 27 Jan 2007
Angharad (Anglesey, North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
I was given this book as a christmas present, and it sat by bed for a few weeks until my boyfriend saw it and thought I was trying to tell him something!

When I did start reading it it became one of those books that you know you'll keep picking up at some point during your life and re-reading it, just because it's a pretty good picture of the modern bloke. I wish I'd read it when I was single!

I couldn't help but be a little disappointed by the ending, partly because by the time you got to it, you kind of already expected it. Plus, as much as I loved the book, it just felt like it could of been a bit longer, or that there could have been a bit more detail, but I guess I'm just a chick flick kind of gal!

Still a really funny book and It's seriously worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide to the mind of a man!!!, 30 Oct 2006
S. Pearce "Shannon" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
What a brilliant book! I recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

The characters are brilliant from page one, such an easy book to read, funny and it really makes some great points as well. I was gutted when I got to the end of the book. It's not often you come across a book that has you laughing at almost every page.

Based on this book I will definately be reading Matt Dunn's other novels.

A definated read for guys or girls alike, don't miss out on this read. PLEASE!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 30 Jan 2007
Fraser Buntain (Manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
Brilliant, made me laugh out lound on many ocasions. Could not put it down until it was finished

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book - And Too Near The Truth??, 30 Oct 2006
Richie B (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook (Paperback)
I bought the book on the basis of the tagg line on the back cover when Edward's girlfriend says to him "It's not me - it's you" and found myself itching to get back to it everytime I put it down.

The story revolves around Edward and his attempts to and get his girlfriend Jane back after she leaves him as he has let himself go a bit after 10 years together. The characters are very beleivable (I'm sure a lot of guys - me included - have been through "Edward" stages !!) and have the ability to make you feel for them - even Dan his best mate who is as narcissistic as they come!

I'd never read a book by Matt Dunn before but am already planning on buying "Best Man" in the next few days. Not sure how many other authors do this but I emailed Matt about the book and got a response! Nice guy too!

The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook
The Ex-boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn (Paperback - 2 Oct 2006)
6.99