5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on how to improve your golf.
This book is the best book i have ever read and it is designed for any golfer who wants to get better. It helps you devise a simple way of playing and tries to generate a feeling of trust in your own ability. It is written in easy to relate to stories of professional golfers and the problems they and golfers of all abilities face on and off the golf course. I believe that...
Published on 28 April 2002 by alex13ward@aol.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Good advice but a bit long winded
I like the Bob Rotella books and find them helpful. The advice can be summarised in just a few pages, but he builds his chapters around the points so that they are a bit more memorable. This will help many golfers and I think it has helped me a bit, but nowhere near as much as improving my technique through mixture of coaching, practice and the odd DVD/technical book...
Published on 17 July 2008 by Golf Mad Harvey

4.0 out of 5 stars I hit them lovely on the practice range........, 15 Oct 2009
Gerard O'Brien (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Paperback)
I found I could identify with a lot of what the doctor says. The book is a little dated but the fundamentals remain the same. The distinction he makes between the pro and the weekend golfer is a theme that runs through the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf is Not a Game of Perfect, 4 Sep 2009
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Paperback)
A fantastic book, full to the brim of useful and appliable tips, mostly relating to the mental game, but with some advice on the mechanics, too. Improving good shots is a result of the book, but also, crucially, is learning to accept and move on from bad shots, towards an overall positive result. After reading it, my handicap went from 27 to 19, in the space of 2 months. What more can you ask, from a Golf Book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a cracker!!, 17 Mar 2009
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Paperback)
I have read this and golf is a game of confidence and can say that this is definitely the best of the two as when i am playing its all the ideas and concepts from this book that stick in my mind and really do help. I am now a more consistent golfer as this helps illiminate bad shots/holes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf is not a game of perfect, 1 Jun 2009
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Paperback)
This book makes you realise how important it is to practice your game off the course rather than on it. You have to be confident in the physical structure of your strokes before you can put the recommended psychological approach to good use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The reason I'm a club champion, 20 April 2000
By A Customer
the no. 1 book of all time. I read it all the time to remind myself of the concepts that have hepled my handicap tumble to 3 in the last two years. It has made me enjoy my golf and the positive mind-frame encouraged by Bob Rotella has helped me in everything I do - Uni exams, other sports, pulling fit chicks etc.!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 May 2009
Fisher (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Paperback)
This is an excellent book and a must read for anyone wanting to get their handicap down. I think this book has saved me about 6 shots per round already and I'm only halfway through it!

5.0 out of 5 stars thanks Bob, 2 Sep 2014
Great read! Shot my first round under 90 in a comp after reading this, I just needed to trust what I had and to use it

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any golfer, 6 July 2009
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Paperback)
An absolute must for those wishing to improve their mental approach to golf and the do's and don'ts on a golf course

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 29 July 2014
Beechdale Basher (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
Good read
Simple stuff well written to the point
We can all learn and improve by reading this

1.0 out of 5 stars It's just common sense, 16 Jan 2008
M. Mansfield (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Paperback)
Dr Bob Rotella is extremely well known in golf education for his advice on how to train your mind to play your best golf. He has helped some distinguished players including Tom Kite.

His basic philosophy is:
1. Believe you can achieve your golfing dream.
2. Have no swing thoughts or any thoughts about swing mechanics when you play.
3. Focus on a target or the ball: the smaller the better.
4. Stay in the present: forget previous shots (good and bad), don't think about the score for the round (good or bad). This will only distract you.

I have awarded this a one star. This is perhaps harsh, perhaps a three star would be appropriate but here is why I did:

My average handicap is 25 (27 in competition). I have been playing for three years and in the past 7 months as much as 5 or 6 times a week. I eat, sleep and dream golf. I devour new books and DVDs from the big names and some of the less well known.

I regularly watched the golf channel UK (RIP) and read Golf Digest online. My best rounds are around 85. My theoretical best (best scores per hole on different days) is 63.

In spite of starting this great game of golf at the age of 40, I've done well in many other sports and activities (squash, snowboarding, fencing, motorsport, aviation) and believe I should be able to play at a good level: regularly in the 80s and why not, with training and perseverance, in the 70s.

In short, my profile matches that of the target reader for this book. I had high expectations of this book and was hoping to discover new information and techniques on how to train my mind to get the best from my golf.

In reality, I found nothing new here. Most of the advice really is common sense and common place in all the golf related material I've encountered. Bob spends too much time covering what not to think. In the audio version, Bob drones on so much he sent me to sleep. Sadly, I have to say, the book is not worth the money and I can not recommend it.

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Bob Cullen (Paperback - 7 Jun 2004)