4.0 out of 5 stars New Frontier Continues to Dazzle
Published on 28 Nov 2004 by dc521

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me
I fell out of love with the various Trek novels a few years ago, by the time you have read well over 200 of the bloody things, it is hard to be impressed, amazed or rediscover that early delight.
Published 16 months ago by Nick Brett

4.0 out of 5 stars New Frontier Continues to Dazzle, 28 Nov 2004
This review is from: After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier) (Hardcover)
Peter David has taken the unusual (and exciting step) of setting the latest New Frontier book three years after "Stone and Anvil". The new direction this gives some of the characters, most notably Robin Lefler, Soleta and Shelby shows that rarest thing in Star Trek fiction: evolution of character and plot. I wont rehash the plot here as it does tend to get a little murky in the story and you do need a good nowledge of New Frontier to follow it, but look out for how the 'new' Zak Kebron handles life. My only grumble is that the book has a lot going on it to bring the reader up to date. Surely some of the plotlines could have been spun out in new books? Yet we are also treated to classic Peter David deap pan humour and wry observations. New Frontier has evolvedand best of all we are promised there wont be any changes to this, the characters have to get on with what has happended to them. I only hope that in future books more detail is added to these new developements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Done it again, 8 Jan 2005
This review is from: After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier) (Hardcover)
Once again Peter David has delivered another spectacular trek into sector 221-G, filling "After the Fall" with everything I've come to expect- witty humour, palm sweating suspense, intense action and, once again, one of THOSE endings! But most of all, he's interlaced his tale of galactic chaos with the deeply personal storylines of his much loved charcters, this time sending them all in completely new directions. I can't help but feel that the last couple of New Frontier books were starting to lose their magic, but After the Fall picks it right back up to its glorious days of old. The only flaw in this novel I have to say is what he's done to Zak Kebron, but he makes up for that mistake by bringing the best charcter short of Calhoun himself back into the equation- but I won't spoil the plot for you!
So, to conclude, another incredible read that, despite not being able to put it down, I didn't want to finish. P.D. does exactly what Star Trek tends to fail on- focussing his stories not on the heroic actions of his charcters, but exploiting their flaws, making them much more real somehow.
Bring on the next book- and it better be sooner than next xmas!

4.0 out of 5 stars After the Fall - comes Rise!, 27 April 2006
This review is from: After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier) (Hardcover)
The New Frontier set of books have been going for several years now and are by far and away the best Star Trek novels. Peter David has created a set of flawed characters that have more interesting characteristics than all the TV shows put together. However, for the past couple of book things had been looking a bit down as the characters seem to be losing their way and many of the factors that made them interesting in the first place have disappeared.

Therefore, it is with a great sense of new life that David has set 'After the Fall' three years later than the last book. Mackenzie is still captain of the Excalibur and he has Kebron with him. Other characters have left for other ships and Shelby is now even an Admiral!

These new dynamics play out over a crisis within the Thallion district of space as an ancient evil has returned to claim the sector as their own.

Like most NF books people should try to read them in order and a major flaw of 'After the Fall' is that non-fans will understand little of it. However, for fans of the series it is a triumphant return to form and a recommended buy. Laugh out load and exciting, I can not wait for the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 12 Aug 2013
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier) (Hardcover)
But Peter David is one of the better authors and writes good characters overlayed with a gentle humour. And this is a New Frontier book so Starfleet but not the Enterprise.
I have jumped into the series here so I don't know the characters but the usual David writing was there, but what was missing was much of an interesting story, and (be warned) this ends on a cliff-hanger.

So maybe it is time I let go of the Star Trek novel and moved on.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow return to form, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier) (Hardcover)
After reading "Gods above" and "Stone and Anvil", I wasn't even too sure if I should purchase this book. I decided to give it a go after seeing so many positive reviews. I am glad I did.

Though I cannot say that this book take us back to the same level of engrossing stories that existed before Peter David blew up the first Excalibur, this comes close. There are great many changes happening to the crew in the intervining years since the last book and I found them all to help make this a better plot. But, I would actually rate this 3 1/2 stars if possible, because the "xyon arc" was too pedestrian for me. But, some of the humour and dare I say, brashness, of the initial novels is back. That I like.

2.0 out of 5 stars Teacher's phrase "Can do better", 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier) (Hardcover)
Last year, when I saw that Peter David was releasing "After The Fall", and thereby continuing an excellent story with excellent characters, I eagerly awaited the books release.
Throughout the previous books, I have enjoyed the chacacters and their natural evolutions through-out the various books, as well as their interactions (most especially that of Kebron and Calhoun) with other people.
When I was given the book for my birthday in February, I quickly began to read the book... and found myself very disappointed.
While I understand that the publisher wanted New Frontier to 'catch up' with the other titles from TNG, DS9 and Voyager, the changes that have been made are just... too much.
Peter David has attempted to keep with the style of characters, the changes that have been made just don't work:-
Shelby is now an Admiral - even though she's been a Captain for less than 4 years.
Kebron is now the Excalibur's chief security officer and ship's councilor - position which conflict in their natures.
Soleta is suddenly working for the Romulans - apparently after having been kicked out of StarFleet.
Calhoun's dead son - Xyon - is amazingly back from the dead.
And I can certainly go on... but one of the worst things... between this book and the last been (a 3 year period in the Star Trek timeline) there has been a war between the UFP and a race called Selelvions - this war was never been mentioned in any of the other books from TNG, DS9 or Voyager.
Don't get me wrong, I think Peter David is an excellent writer and I have enjoyed tremendously the New Frontier stories... up till now.
I'm sorry to say (very sorry indeed, because I have enjoyed ST:NF) that because of the many changes - way too many in my opinion - I won't be continuing with the books of New Frontier.

After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier)
After the Fall (Star Trek: New Frontier) by Peter David (Hardcover - 6 Dec 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01