4.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons
Published on 14 Jun 2012 by Isaac-E

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Drivel
Published 13 months ago by Stuart Barrett

4.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons, 14 Jun 2012
Everywhere there is suspicion of conspiracy. What might be offputting to some readers is the extravagence of the violence towards inncent victims, but then again it is no different to in the other books. This particular story finds demons emerging out of religion and inhabiting a select group of scientists, the Illuminati, a group supposedly long disbanded, but appearing in a very dangerous form. There is adventure, even impossible adventure, a hero and heroine, and even romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a let-down after 'The Da Vinci Code' - but worth reading, 27 Jun 2009
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Well, my hopes were high after The Da Vinci Code. I read that one in a day and couldn't put it down. Sadly, Angels and Demons didn't QUITE live up to expectations in terms of quick reading or 'not-being-able-to-put-it-down-ness' (there's probably an excellent word I'm missing in my search for appropriate terminology but it's a very humid day and my brain's gone a bit sloshy).

There was definitely more science and terminology to get your head round this time - whereas the religious references in The Da Vinci Code were recognisable to most people, Christian or otherwise - but that done, it took off at a good pace. A horrific murder has taken place, with a top scientist being killed and branded with the word 'Illuminati'. For Robert Langdon, a symbologist called to the scene by the head of the scientific institution in which Leonardo Vetra lived, it is a word that rings with panic and deep meaning. The Illuminati were an enlightened group of scientists meeting to discuss their work away from religious persecution, but forced underground they mixed with less desirable groups, spread in influence and became a name to inspire fear.

Now Langdon, with Vetra's beautiful daughter Vittoria, are in a race against time to solve the riddle of the Path of Enlightenment to stop four murders being plotted by a dark stranger, and to save Vatican City and the cardinals who have gathered there from a bomb of horrific power which has been hidden somewhere within its walls.

Throughout most of the mystery, Angels and Demons lived up to its promise. There were some suitably gruesome bits, plenty of artistic clues and religious intrigue, and a sense of menace that was quite satisfying. But towards the end Brown outdoes himself with a few TOO many twists and turns, each added onto the end of the one before, so that by the end I'd had enough and just wanted it to finish. The twists were exciting in themselves, but it was too much and ruined the novel a bit for me. Brown could have cut out a fair few pages there and finished with a taut finale instead of tapering back down to a bland ending...

I don't know if I'd read this one again - I'm sure I will be rereading The Da Vinci Code sometime soon - but I'll keep hold of it for now and will definitely not let the soggy finish put me off reading the other two Brown novels!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Dan Brown please, I have withdrawal symptoms already!, 14 Jun 2009
Ms. V. Roche (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
I finished reading this book last night & all I can say is wow!

It's a few years since I read The Da Vinci Code & I remember how good that was, so I was really looking forward to reading Angels & Demons - I actually bought it ages ago but the release of the film gave me the kick in the bum I needed to get cracking.

The book grips you from the start, and the pace definitely picks up as the story progresses, so much so that I spent most of yesterday finishing it, read 250 pages in one day, finally got there at 1.30am! Up until y'day, I was reading a bit every night but it got to the stage where I just had to find out the ending, & I wasn't disappointed.

I can't understand the negative comments, people getting technical about Brown's account of historical events etc. C'mon guys, lighten up - this is fiction! Ok, it will certainly make you think & ask questions, but that's all part of the fun. And with all the references to famous sculptures & paintings etc, you might find that you have a new interest after reading this book, it's fascinating stuff.

The book is just over 600 pages long, & each chapter is relatively short (at most around 10 pages) which keeps things interesting. Brown flits between scenes from one chapter to the next, often with a cliffhanger at the end of the chapters to really keep you on edge. The twists are great, several times you will go "whaaaaaaaat?" with your jaw on the floor, & you won't see the twists coming either.

I am not a bookworm who always has a book on the go, but Dan Brown makes me want to become one. Only trouble is, I don't think my next book (whatever that might be) will be anywhere near as good as A&D.

If you want to get lost in a book & get completely carried away to the point that you forget what is going on around you, then don't deprive yourself of the experience of reading this book. It's escapism at its best.

I am tingling in anticipation for The Lost Symbol due out in September, I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon, and will give Brown's lesser known books, Digital Fortress & Deception Point a go as well on the strength of my current wave of enthusiasm.

I haven't seen the film yet - wasn't impressed by TDVC movie, the book was a million times better but I'll probably get around to seeing it at some stage. Make sure to read this before heading to the cinema though, it's too good to miss out on.

I'm still in awe - go on, give it a go, you'll thoroughly enjoy it. This book is HOT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Da Vinci Code?, 9 Jan 2004
d m may (Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels and Demons (Paperback)
It might be, but barely. The Da Vinci Code also gets a well deserved 5 stars, too.
A breathless adventure, a tour of Rome, some Science, some Art, some Religion, all meticulously pitted against each other. The reader learns some lessons about all three, learns how these things are so integral to the story, but is never patronised.
The best thing about Brown's books, especially the books with Robert Langdon, are that before you start the story he basically writes "this is true, that is true, all Art mentioned is fact, all technology mentioned exists, all the history is true, all I've done is made woven a story around FACT". Sure, Brown has his critics, maybe he is a bit of a drama queen at times, but prove to him, prove to the reader, that this story couldn't happen. You can't, and THAT's what makes it such a ride! Despite all the seemingly far-fetched goings on, there is always a niggle in the back of your mind saying "this is true, that is true (etc)...". Again, tell me why this story couldn't happen in real life?
Special mention goes out to what he does with the map of Rome. He makes a trail for Langdon to follow and the way he does it is genius, absolute genius. This trail is what makes the story for me; what he is describing (without revealing any of the story) are statues that Roman churches have, and how they relate to each other. It is quite incredible how he has managed to weave a 500 year old trail out of this but it is all believable because, like he says at the start, "everything described in this book is fact". The result of this trail is pure fiction - or is it? If you went to Rome today you could see the exact trail that Langdon took and follow it. You would see everything Brown describes, exactly as he describes it, it's unnerving. Magic!
The Da Vinci Code follows this book. I recommend it strongly, although would argue that Angels and Demons just pips it. Apparently Brown's third Langdon book is based in Washingon and is based on the Masons...Everybody get your dollar bills out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Drivel, 15 Aug 2013
Stuart Barrett "chaderoonie" (herts england) - See all my reviews
I started reading this book and thought to myself, I've been here before and indeed i had. This book feels like a poor replica of the Da Vinci code. It has almost the same plot. Professor and girl (who has had friend/relative murdered). They follow clues to the Vatican. Solve the clues. Professor goes in secret Vatican crypt where he has never been before, (yes he has in the Da Vnci code). mustn't remove anything but he does.(See Da Vinci Code) All too familiar plot weak characters and too obvious ending. A waste of Time.

4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYABLE......................., 28 Jun 2009
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read of Dan Browns and I have to admit I found it entertaining.
The late Cardinal Hume wrote that science is not the enemy of the church. Wonder if DB knew this, because that is the book's plot.
It never ceases to amaze me how ubiquitous university lecturers such as Indiana Jones and Robert Langdon get into these fixes and come out squeakily unscathed at the other end.
On the negative side, it is far too long. 200 dry pages of physics before we get into the story for real. The idea of a scantily clad damselle physicist running around the Vatican made me cringe a bit. She must have been freezing in all those underground passages. And he did drag out the adventures of the Camarlengo, who was a wonderful character and who at one point moved me to sobs - the writing was so beautful. 100 pages before the end, I thought the book was finished, but no, he dragged it out a bit further.
In all fairness, Mr Brown does his research thoroughly, but then he changes it to suit himself. This of course necessitates endless debate and TV documentaries pointing out the true stories after the controversy Mr B. has created.
However, it is a good book and I am told the movie is brilliant - better than DVC.
At least in has convinced me that I must visit Rome some day. It will do wonders for tourism.

3.0 out of 5 stars An air of questionality about this book, 9 Mar 2005
Cookies (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Well, the plot is great, the general framework of the book is fantastic. The storyline and the way it develops through the book has no flaws. And thats how the book earns its three star rating. Where the stars stop coming is the literature Brown uses during the book and the way the ending is brought about. After all the breath taking pulse rating action through the middle of the book, the ending is lax and quite unbelievable.
(....I'm going to spoil the book for you now....) A priest having a son would never happen, plus the camelengo to the pope having access to St. Peters tomb, when it is sealed and open only by the request of the pope. And finally a man of the church would know that killing is wrong so the death of the popes by a priest himself is just stupid.
This book let me down after such an incredible build up, your mind is literally wondering whats next and why and who is the behind the plot against the vatican. And then when you find out and the several pages of random dialogue that follow the revelations.
Buy this book for the storyline and the excitement then put it down about fifteen pages from the end.
Da Vinci is no way near this book. Buy that instead. Or read this book BEFORE the Da Vinci Code

3.0 out of 5 stars Angels and Demons - Dan Brown, 9 Feb 2006
I think the success of Angels and Demons as well as The Da Vinci Code relies on the amount of actual facts that Dan Brown collected, before putting a story together. However, having a religious background, I was able to amuse myself at some of the fact-twists, which didn't convince me in the least. The amazing thing is how the writer has managed to cause so much controversy amongst the masses through his style of writing. I actually liked Angels and Demons better than The Da Vinci Code, but I couldn't quite pinpoint why. Sometimes, is just better to keep things totally fictional.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read for fans of the Da Vinci code, 9 Jun 2005
dbean104 (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Most people reading this will have already read the authors more famous publication: the Da Vinci Code. From the moment you pick up this book the similarities are obvious, the same lead character, the same phone-call-in-the-night start etc. However, once you have read the first few chapters it is apparent that this book is completely different.
Anyone who was captivated by the puzzles and clues in the Da Vinci Code will be equally satisfied with Angels and Demons. Like the Da Vinci Code this is a particularly intellectual book and you will be educated while reading it, although this time not about the works of Da Vinci, but instead particle physics and Roman churches. Once again the level of research carried-out by the author in order for the book to contain as many facts as possible is astounding. My main criticism is that where the Da Vinci Code was believable in most places, the plot of this book becomes rather far-fetched, especially towards the end.
If you enjoyed the Da Vinci Code read this, if you have yet to encounter Dan Brown's books then this is also a good place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a lazy weekend, 14 Oct 2005
Linda Oskam "dutch-traveller" (Amsterdam Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Robert Langdon, the Harvard professor who is also the main character in The Da Vinci Code, is asked by the director of CERN, to help solve the murder of one of its scientists, an Italian priest annex physics wizard who is found dead with an eye missing and a mysterious symbol branded on his chest. At the same time a new technology that may lead to widespread destruction is stolen from CERN. Together with the adopted daughter of the priest Robert travels to Rome to try and solve the riddle that involves the infamous Illuminati brotherhood, a secret society seeking to destroy the Roman Catholic Church. Right at that moment the cardinals of the church are trying to elect a new pope and Robert and Vittoria chase the murderer around Rome in a race against the clock to prevent the annihilation of Vatican City. But all is not what it seems to be and the main danger comes from within Vatican City...

This book again contains the themes that made Dan Brown world famous: secret codes, ancient brotherhoods and a serious threat to mankind and its institutions. Not as good as the Da Vinci Code, but still a nice book to read that never gets dull.

Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon)
Angels and Demons (Robert Langdon) by Dan Brown (Hardcover - 21 July 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01